Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic vs Jazz - Thurs., Mar. 9th @ 7 pm

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

We disagree for one of the few times this year …Fultz tier 2 is lol …we saw the team without him …and if he stays healthy the rest of this year can’t hold health against him …Paolo shooting a team worst from 3 and he and Franz with defensive deficiencies …I don’t hold them in as high regard as most .

Oh don’t get me wrong. I love Kelle, he’s the straw that stirs the drink. He’s my favorite player on the team. He’s just tier 2 to me because his contract has a very appealing out this year where he’s only guaranteed $2 mill if we cut him. We shouldn’t do it and I don’t think we will, but we could

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

We disagree for one of the few times this year …Fultz tier 2 is lol …we saw the team without him …and if he stays healthy the rest of this year can’t hold health against him …Paolo shooting a team worst from 3 and he and Franz with defensive deficiencies …I don’t hold them in as high regard as most .

I think you may be calling out Franz through a recency bias regarding his defense. His advanced stats on defense show him to be our most consistent defender. Moreover, looking at RPM and at RPM WINS, Franz is by far our best player. He's #12 in the whole NBA in RPM, and he's #7 in the whole NBA in RPM WINS (http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm). I rarely get the Orlando Magic feed for games, so often I get to hear other teams' commentators point these things out. 

In terms of Paulo, I think he's been awesome as a rookie... but our most inconsistent starter. At times he's been great, but at times he's hit a wall on offense. His outside shot clearly needs work. Still the sky is the limit for him, in my opinion.

Lastly, I love Kelle, and he's been our best point guard in years, but his lack of consistency in outside shooting just adds to the problem with our other starters. Dude has to hit that outside shot with the makeup of the rest of our team. Fair or not, in today's NBA I believe the guards have to be able to shoot the long ball.

Stating the obvious here, but the Magic need to do whatever it takes to get the best shooting coach on the planet down to Orlando.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Oh don’t get me wrong. I love Kelle, he’s the straw that stirs the drink. He’s my favorite player on the team. He’s just tier 2 to me because his contract has a very appealing out this year where he’s only guaranteed $2 mill if we cut him. We shouldn’t do it and I don’t think we will, but we could

Also, it really has to be considered that Paolo/Franz would probably work a whole lot better with a PG who can shoot the 3 ball at a high rate. 

I love Markelle too but that's kind of something we're eventually going to have to think about. 

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Also, it really has to be considered that Paolo/Franz would probably work a whole lot better with a PG who can shoot the 3 ball at a high rate. 

I love Markelle too but that's kind of something we're eventually going to have to think about. 

Agree. I must have just posted before you :)

38 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I think you may be calling out Franz through a recency bias regarding his defense. His advanced stats on defense show him to be our most consistent defender. Moreover, looking at RPM and at RPM WINS, Franz is by far our best player. He's #12 in the whole NBA in RPM, and he's #7 in the whole NBA in RPM WINS (http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm). I rarely get the Orlando Magic feed for games, so often I get to hear other teams' commentators point these things out. 

In terms of Paulo, I think he's been awesome as a rookie... but our most inconsistent starter. At times he's been great, but at times he's hit a wall on offense. His outside shot clearly needs work. Still the sky is the limit for him, in my opinion.

Lastly, I love Kelle, and he's been our best point guard in years, but his lack of consistency in outside shooting just adds to the problem with our other starters. Dude has to hit that outside shot with the makeup of the rest of our team. Fair or not, in today's NBA I believe the guards have to be able to shoot the long ball.

Stating the obvious here, but the Magic need to do whatever it takes to get the best shooting coach on the planet down to Orlando.

I was going to post something similar about Franz Wagner.  He was our go to guy on defense most of the season, often doing an excellent job on the other teams best player.  Looks like everyone is throwing in the towel now and not playing much defense, but that doesn’t change what Franz did defensively for most of the season.  

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I was going to post something similar about Franz Wagner.  He was our go to guy on defense most of the season, often doing an excellent job on the other teams best player.  Looks like everyone is throwing in the towel now and not playing much defense, but that doesn’t change what Franz did defensively for most of the season.  

It was only like a week ago where we beat the Pelicans cause Franz locked up Ingram down the stretch. I think you’re right that the giveadam appears to be busted and the guys are tired. Especially Franz, played Eurobasket all summer and I’m sure he’s ready for a break and it’s only getting worse as the losses continue to pile up..

He also had a nasty looking ankle sprain just a couple games ago. Hard to think he’s not playing through some serious pain

Fultz is the best all around player on the team …was a number 1 pick in the draft just like Banchero and a higher rated one I might add …we are just beginning to see his capabilities .

Soul, you can post all the data and links you want but here’s the deal …everybody knows the NBA doesn’t take defense serious until this time of year …so any defensive stats/data you can take with a grain of salt imo …our defense has been horrible lately at the most important time of the year …call it what you want or make excuses .

Banchero has been as advertised predraft …sketchy 3 ball …actually has been worse here than college …and defensive lapses that Soul you posted about repeatedly on draft night and were complaining.

Soul …saw Coach Whitaker at the gym …a guy whom you know well and in which I’m positive you highly respect …he was lamenting about the new Gator coach …he’s an analytics guy …Whit doesn’t like him …he says you gotta go with kids who, and then he pointed to his chest …and what you see with your eyes ….analytics to a lesser degree.

I’d say management has a choice …if you want a PG with a higher percentage 3 ball then go for it …being as how our entire team is ranked 22 out of 30 NBA teams in 3 point percentage we need a lot more players than just the PG that shoot the 3 well.

48 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Fultz is the best all around player on the team …was a number 1 pick in the draft just like Banchero and a higher rated one I might add …we are just beginning to see his capabilities .

Soul, you can post all the data and links you want but here’s the deal …everybody knows the NBA doesn’t take defense serious until this time of year …so any defensive stats/data you can take with a grain of salt imo …our defense has been horrible lately at the most important time of the year …call it what you want or make excuses .

Banchero has been as advertised predraft …sketchy 3 ball …actually has been worse here than college …and defensive lapses that Soul you posted about repeatedly on draft night and were complaining.

Soul …saw Coach Whitaker at the gym …a guy whom you know well and in which I’m positive you highly respect …he was lamenting about the new Gator coach …he’s an analytics guy …Whit doesn’t like him …he says you gotta go with kids who, and then he pointed to his chest …and what you see with your eyes ….analytics to a lesser degree.

I’d say management has a choice …if you want a PG with a higher percentage 3 ball then go for it …being as how our entire team is ranked 22 out of 30 NBA teams in 3 point percentage we need a lot more players than just the PG that shoot the 3 well.

Good post. I’m heading out, so I don’t have time to retrieve the stats, but I looked at the advanced stats on nba.com, https://www.basketball-reference.com/, and espn.com. Final thought: If Kelle can stay healthy AND continue to improve, he will be a beast. All of core needs to take that next step.

Stats don't mean anything except when they support what I'm saying. All the rest of the season didn't count but the past week does because it supports my view point.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

It was only like a week ago where we beat the Pelicans cause Franz locked up Ingram down the stretch. I think you’re right that the giveadam appears to be busted and the guys are tired. Especially Franz, played Eurobasket all summer and I’m sure he’s ready for a break and it’s only getting worse as the losses continue to pile up..

He also had a nasty looking ankle sprain just a couple games ago. Hard to think he’s not playing through some serious pain

If he's really playing through pain, that means he's probably at risk for worsening his injury.  If that's really the case, the team needs to have their collective heads examined.  Why risk Franz at this point in a lost season?

Saw an interesting article about the Heat on the ringer. Both of the runs they had, to the finals in 2020 and the near finals last year, were fueled by 3 point shooting. 

The Heats two best players are not 3 point shooters. You can see that tonight. However in 2020 and last year everyone else on the Heat were well above league average. Two take away's from this is every year is different. They are bad this year, but were fantastic during the run to the conference finals. You can produce around a few players who don't shoot the 3, but you do have to have some. We can find shooters and some of our players will get better. But Banchero and Fultz do not have to be drop dead shooters, just a threat, at least.