Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

1 minute ago, jmmagicfan said:

There already is an evil Danny Ainge, his name is - Danny Ainge!

LOL right! We will see how he treats his current players on the Thursday Deadline.

This draft is going to be interesting for the Magic. We can finally target more for talent then projection. Like i see how the Thompson twins are so highly rated but they could flop because of poor competition or poor shooting. Instead we probably get our pick of the guys dominating in college right now. If we pick the right guy. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Rayan Rupert seems like a John Hammond guy:

18 year old French kid playing in Australian league. 6'7 with a 7'3 wingspan. Raw but looks like he has a lot of talent. 

Givony has him at 16 on ESPNs latest mock but i think he might rise into the lottery.

Here's what Givony wrote about him in November:

"Rupert has solidified his credentials as a potential lottery pick in the Australian NBL by playing an important role in fueling his New Zealand Breakers squad to a 6-3 start that is good for second place and already helping his team win more games than it did all of last season. Unfortunately, Rupert suffered a broken wrist this weekend that will keep him off the court for at least six weeks and might halt the momentum he has built over the past few months.

Rupert often starts and/or finishes games and has been an essential part of the Breakers' league-best defense, pressuring opposing point guards the length of the floor and disrupting the opponents' offensive flow with his 7-foot-3 wingspan. After shooting 10-for-16 from 3 in the preseason Australian Blitz, Rupert's jump shot has been streaky since (4-for-20 from 3), and he has similarly struggled to score efficiently inside the arc.

Nevertheless, his impact on film clearly exceeds what is suggested by the box score. That the 18-year-old has been able to carve out an important role at a high level of competition while still making enough offensive contributions to stay on the floor is a very good sign for his future. None of his predecessors in the Next Stars program (Josh Giddey, LaMelo Ball, Ousmane Dieng, R.J. Hampton) was able to contribute to winning the way Rupert has in the NBL.

Fortunately for the injured Rupert, he hit the ground running in New Zealand and built a strong body of work in his first 12 games for NBA teams to study, although the fact that scouts won't be able to evaluate his progress as a shooter as the season progresses isn't ideal. -- Jonathan Givony"

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Rayan Rupert seems like a John Hammond guy:

18 year old French kid playing in Australian league. 6'7 with a 7'3 wingspan. Raw but looks like he has a lot of talent. 

Givony has him at 16 on ESPNs latest mock but i think he might rise into the lottery.

Here's what Givony wrote about him in November:

"Rupert has solidified his credentials as a potential lottery pick in the Australian NBL by playing an important role in fueling his New Zealand Breakers squad to a 6-3 start that is good for second place and already helping his team win more games than it did all of last season. Unfortunately, Rupert suffered a broken wrist this weekend that will keep him off the court for at least six weeks and might halt the momentum he has built over the past few months.

Rupert often starts and/or finishes games and has been an essential part of the Breakers' league-best defense, pressuring opposing point guards the length of the floor and disrupting the opponents' offensive flow with his 7-foot-3 wingspan. After shooting 10-for-16 from 3 in the preseason Australian Blitz, Rupert's jump shot has been streaky since (4-for-20 from 3), and he has similarly struggled to score efficiently inside the arc.

Nevertheless, his impact on film clearly exceeds what is suggested by the box score. That the 18-year-old has been able to carve out an important role at a high level of competition while still making enough offensive contributions to stay on the floor is a very good sign for his future. None of his predecessors in the Next Stars program (Josh Giddey, LaMelo Ball, Ousmane Dieng, R.J. Hampton) was able to contribute to winning the way Rupert has in the NBL.

Fortunately for the injured Rupert, he hit the ground running in New Zealand and built a strong body of work in his first 12 games for NBA teams to study, although the fact that scouts won't be able to evaluate his progress as a shooter as the season progresses isn't ideal. -- Jonathan Givony"

This guy looks great via the clip. Having watched a lot of college players this year, all of them have growth areas (e.g. Miller, George, etc). It would not surprise me to see WeltHam draft someone like this Rupert.

9 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

This guy looks great via the clip. Having watched a lot of college players this year, all of them have growth areas (e.g. Miller, George, etc). It would not surprise me to see WeltHam draft someone like this Rupert.

Yea Rupert looks more raw than some of those guys I'm not going to lie.

But he's also one of the youngest guys in this draft (I think there are maybe 4 guys younger from what I can find: Whitmore, Whitehead, GG Jackson and Noah Clowney) and already contributing big (top 4 in minutes) on a team that's looking like they might go to the finals of a pro league. That's huge.

For all his raw offensive game (streaky shooter but looks to have got up to about 34%) he's finding ways to be a winning player at 18. That could be the type of guy we're looking for with the Bulls pick especially. 

Can’t believe the helium behind Taylor Hendricks, only a couple months ago I couldn’t find any Draft interest in him at all and now he’s mocked at #11 on B/R.  

10 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Can’t believe the helium behind Taylor Hendricks, only a couple months ago I couldn’t find any Draft interest in him at all and now he’s mocked at #11 on B/R.  

If you play defense and shoot 3s you rise up draft boards quickly.