Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

You know what I think?

We're 8-1 in the last 9 games. There's a saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Unless someone ASKS for a trade, you ride this out until we go on another significant losing streak. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I was listening to Zach Lowe and he mentioned there are early rumblings about Trae Young.  I really don’t like his style of play and he is getting a reputation as a bad locker room guy.  That being said he is very effective.  I just thought I’d mention it as he might be the next star who gets disgruntled.

11 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

You know what I think?

We're 8-1 in the last 9 games. There's a saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Unless someone ASKS for a trade, you ride this out until we go on another significant losing streak. 

Watching the game with all the players coming back from injury I was thinking we are so deep. We have so many good and intriguing players. I would ride it out this year unless somebody amazing become available to cash in all the depth and draft picks. 

It’s about asset management more than anything right now. Core pieces should all stay, guys we aren’t keeping we should see what they turn into. Ross, RJ, Chuma, potentially Bamba are the names that come to mind here. I think it’s too early to make a big swing.

58 minutes ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I was listening to Zach Lowe and he mentioned there are early rumblings about Trae Young.  I really don’t like his style of play and he is getting a reputation as a bad locker room guy.  That being said he is very effective.  I just thought I’d mention it as he might be the next star who gets disgruntled.

I’m a hard no on Trae, not only because of the reasons you mentioned, but also I don’t see how his style of play doesn’t hinder Franz and Paolo significantly.

25 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’m a hard no on Trae, not only because of the reasons you mentioned, but also I don’t see how his style of play doesn’t hinder Franz and Paolo significantly.

Trae is a better BBall Player Cole Anthony and he seems to be working... not sure about locker room presence

21 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Trae is a better BBall Player Cole Anthony and he seems to be working... not sure about locker room presence

Cole also doesn’t play with the starters because his ball dominant style hinders our 2 best players. We wouldn’t bring in Trae to play 6th man. He’d also cost a ton. IMO we have our stars to build around in Franz and Paolo, we need to be looking for high level role players that compliment them in trades.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

There is more to basketball than scoring. Trae doesn't have elite corner vision, isn't a great defender, and doesnt have elite athleticism. He can shoot / score well. A team needs to be built around that player / skill set and the Magic are not. 

Factor in he wants to be Steph curry without the good locker room presence and it's a no thank you for me. 

Kudos to Mosley for sticking with MW in the starting lineup even though WCJ is back. That took huge guts and is not what I would have done.

2 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

You know what I think?

I upvoted this because in general I agree but:

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

It’s about asset management more than anything right now. Core pieces should all stay, guys we aren’t keeping we should see what they turn into. Ross, RJ, Chuma, potentially Bamba are the names that come to mind here. I think it’s too early to make a big swing.

I also agree with this. I think we're in a position to be picky with trades for the non essential guys given the general good vibes though. Like I saw a report that the asking price for Bamba would be a first round pick. That's smart. Is Bamba going to be here long term? Possibly not. But he's also playing well at the moment and unguaranteed next season, he's either a useful bench piece or 10m in cap space and both of those are valuable to us so why should we take some matching salary and a 2nd for him?

Ross and RJ, neither are likely to be here next season (although I guess there might actually be a non zero chance Ross stays around on a small salary if nobody trades for him at this deadline) so those I'm happy to just see if anything materialises. 

But I agree we don't need to make any big moves yet. We've hopefully got the next 8 seasons of Franz + Paolo, plenty of time to push the chips in when we get closer to being legit and have a firmer idea of what the missing piece is.