Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

A few big man are resigning after being left with no contracts, but seem like we don't consider it a priority, even if we have roster spots now.

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

A few big man are resigning after being left with no contracts, but seem like we don't consider it a priority, even if we have roster spots now.

we just need to really sign Keyvon and Admiral i feel. 

18 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

we just need to really sign Keyvon and Admiral i feel. 

I would at least partially disagree. I like Kevon Harris, and would be okay signing him to a "rest-of-the-season" contract (and maybe a non-guaranteed contract for next year that would give us through maybe 10/31/23 to keep or waive). We have to look at our long-term as well. We currently have 13 contracts through the end of the season. For next year, we have the following:

Suggs, Anthony, F Wagner, Okeke, Houstan, Banchero, Carter all are under contract. (7 roster spots)

Fultz to guarantee by 7/1/23 for $17M, we would owe him $2M if we don't. (obviously we do it) (8)

Isaac to guarantee by 1/10/24 for $17.4M, we would owe him $7.6M through that point in the season if we don't. (if he stays healthy through season end we at least keep him into the season) (9)

Bol to guarantee by 6/30/23 for $2.2M, we would owe him nothing if we don't.  (cheap, young asset; I think we do it) (10)

Moe Wagner becomes a Free Agent at season end, but we have Bird rights to re-sign him (hold off/negotiate as long as possible for cap reasons, but re-sign him) (11)

So looking at the listing above, we could have as many as 5-6 roster spots available, but more likely we would have 3-4. We have two, lottery, first round picks with guaranteed contracts (unless the Bulls jump into the top 4). Having one "defer" like Okeke did is a once-in-a-lifetime event. (Roster spots 12/13)

That could possibly leave two open roster spots, but do we want to lock those down before training camp?

Realistically, we have to look at both G Harris and K Harris, and decide if either is valuable enough to retain for the open spots next year. (14?, 15?)

G Harris has to be guaranteed by 6/30/23 for $13M, or he becomes a Free Agent, we would have no rights. (I'm on the fence, but if he can stay healthy through season end, then he is a veteran, 3-and-D guard who could be an asset, so maybe)

K Harris becomes a Free Agent at season end, we have no rights (unless we do something to change that before the season ends, see above)

Schofield becomes a Free Agent at season end, we have Early Bird rights 

Hampton becomes a Free Agent at season end, unless we buy him out/waive him to sign elsewhere; I doubt he's in our plans to keep.

We also currently have an early, 2nd round pick in the draft that could be a cheap, non-guaranteed player to bring into camp.

Assuming we only keep one Harris, that leaves us with only one roster spot for a Free Agent, or someone to impress us in camp and win a spot. This is why I think we look at adding Kevon Harris to a rest-of-season contract, with a non-guaranteed, team-option for next year that could be guaranteed or waived after training camp or even pre-season.

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I would at least partially disagree. I like Kevon Harris, and would be okay signing him to a "rest-of-the-season" contract (and maybe a non-guaranteed contract for next year that would give us through maybe 10/31/23 to keep or waive). We have to look at our long-term as well. We currently have 13 contracts through the end of the season. For next year, we have the following:

Suggs, Anthony, F Wagner, Okeke, Houstan, Banchero, Carter all are under contract. (7 roster spots)

Fultz to guarantee by 7/1/23 for $17M, we would owe him $2M if we don't. (obviously we do it) (8)

Isaac to guarantee by 1/10/24 for $17.4M, we would owe him $7.6M through that point in the season if we don't. (if he stays healthy through season end we at least keep him into the season) (9)

Bol to guarantee by 6/30/23 for $2.2M, we would owe him nothing if we don't.  (cheap, young asset; I think we do it) (10)

Moe Wagner becomes a Free Agent at season end, but we have Bird rights to re-sign him (hold off/negotiate as long as possible for cap reasons, but re-sign him) (11)

So looking at the listing above, we could have as many as 5-6 roster spots available, but more likely we would have 3-4. We have two, lottery, first round picks with guaranteed contracts (unless the Bulls jump into the top 4). Having one "defer" like Okeke did is a once-in-a-lifetime event. (Roster spots 12/13)

That could possibly leave two open roster spots, but do we want to lock those down before training camp?

Realistically, we have to look at both G Harris and K Harris, and decide if either is valuable enough to retain for the open spots next year. (14?, 15?)

G Harris has to be guaranteed by 6/30/23 for $13M, or he becomes a Free Agent, we would have no rights. (I'm on the fence, but if he can stay healthy through season end, then he is a veteran, 3-and-D guard who could be an asset, so maybe)

K Harris becomes a Free Agent at season end, we have no rights (unless we do something to change that before the season ends, see above)

Schofield becomes a Free Agent at season end, we have Early Bird rights 

Hampton becomes a Free Agent at season end, unless we buy him out/waive him to sign elsewhere; I doubt he's in our plans to keep.

We also currently have an early, 2nd round pick in the draft that could be a cheap, non-guaranteed player to bring into camp.

Assuming we only keep one Harris, that leaves us with only one roster spot for a Free Agent, or someone to impress us in camp and win a spot. This is why I think we look at adding Kevon Harris to a rest-of-season contract, with a non-guaranteed, team-option for next year that could be guaranteed or waived after training camp or even pre-season.

I think Gary Harris will be long gone once the season ends and the Magic add 2  first rounders / lottery picks on June 22, 2023.

On 2/9/2023 at 5:16 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Pacers have waived Goga Bitadze, if we free up a roster spot today Id think about claiming him off waivers honestly, could do worse at backup C. 

I like it. 

7 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Exactly the kind of contract we should be offering for now .

It's perfect, similar kind of stuff as we did with Bol and Mo Wagner, a guy who didn't quite make it work during his initial couple of years in the league and we get a free chance at seeing how they look in a different environment. If he impresses we have him on the books for next season and his early bird rights after that. If not we've lost nothing. 

It should be noted WeltHam have a decent track record at finding bigs with us:

Khem Birch was overseas, by the end of next season he'll have made $26m as an NBA player.

We were Mo Wagner's 4th team in 3 seasons. He might have been on his way out of the league if he didn't stick here. 

Bol Bol got traded twice in like a single month period having never really looked like an NBA player. 

WCJ was the center piece of the Vuc trade because of his reputation as a high draft pick but Bulls fans were incredibly low on him. 

Mo Bamba is almost certainly the least successful big Weltman has acquired relative to expectations (unless you count Aminu who's more of a forward) but even he's not like a complete out of the league entirely bust.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Was super jarring to see Bamba in a Lakers jersey. Happy for him, though. I hope they make the playoffs

yeah i wish him well MP

71 second round picks exchanged in the last two months, that's amazing. But again, our FO is the master of future 2nd, still feel like they missed an opportunity in a market that was perfect for our assets (without giving up first)