Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

34 minutes ago, J Roc Baby said:

*Shudder*

To think we gave up on Sabonis for a few games of Ibaka

Theres no indication we'd have picked Sabonis if we didn't make that move. OKC asked us to pick Sabonis to make the trade. Was still a terrible trade. But we might have picked Taurean Prince or Wade Baldwin or someone. 

• Upvote 1

Still, in the end it's a second when guys were going for multiple seconds. I agree with other posters it was a favor to him and his agent for future goodwill from other players.

What a bust. I still remember wanting Trea Young so bad and realizing he wasn't going to drop to us so just hopping on the Bamba bandwagon. I do remember posting we needed a point guard real bad. Imagine if we had gotten Shai or Sexton. Both showed more promise in their first two years then Bamba did his whole career. People forget Sexton was averaging 24 points a game by his 3rd year and obviously SGA is turning into a star.

It wasn't even a stretch, we needed a point guard badly! Then we took Bamba and i got hype but honestly by the next day i was facing reality. What was the chance we took the 4th big man of that draft and he was the one. Ayton,Bagley,JJJ and then Bamba. Turns out he was just a guy who was 7 feet tall and probably is not really a baller.I know he will stick in the league, we shall see how much more he develops. 

I hear he is a good kid so all the best.

32 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Theres no indication we'd have picked Sabonis if we didn't make that move. OKC asked us to pick Sabonis to make the trade. Was still a terrible trade. But we might have picked Taurean Prince or Wade Baldwin or someone. 

You know what? Our front office at the time was legit stupid enough to do that. Maybe you're right 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

No, not at all. It's a "we don't want this guy and we'll waive him in the summer might as well get a 2nd for him" move. 

That doesn't explain then why we aren't requiring Beverley to report. If we just got Beverley to waive him, then that seems like a salary cap move to me.

Either way, it is what it is. I'm not a big fan of the trade but we probably weren't getting much else for Bamba anyways.

We have no idea about what attempts were made to trade Bamba elsewhere. His bad hands and lack of motor probably didn't have him worth very much. I'm just glad to be rid of him and have all his minutes go to guys that can play. I'm very impressed with the effort and production we get from Mo Wagner.

1 hour ago, J Roc Baby said:

You know what? Our front office at the time was legit stupid enough to do that. Maybe you're right 

At that time you, me and most of the forum wasn't probably even knowing who Sabonis was... or imagine that he was going to be that good... in hindsight, everything is really simple.

We could make the same exact reasoning with Bamba, and saying the same with the current front office.

49 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

That doesn't explain then why we aren't requiring Beverley to report. If we just got Beverley to waive him, then that seems like a salary cap move to me.

Either way, it is what it is. I'm not a big fan of the trade but we probably weren't getting much else for Bamba anyways.

We don't save anything against the salary cap by waiving Pat Beverley. His 13m will still count against the cap until the end of the season. We didn't want PatBev or Bamba but we got a second round pick and we've freed up a roster spot which I imagine we'll use to give Kevon Harris a real deal so that we've got the option to keep him next season.

18 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

At that time you, me and most of the forum wasn't probably even knowing who Sabonis was... or imagine that he was going to be that good... in hindsight, everything is really simple.

We could make the same exact reasoning with Bamba, and saying the same with the current front office.

No way, i knew about Sabonis and was very excited for a hot minute until the details of the trade came through. Then the news of the trade and the signing of Biyombo. I love listening to sports radio and watching all the talk shows on ESPN. Nobody knew what the Magic were doing and multiple talk show personalities publicly stated right then that this was a disaster. 

And it Was!

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

No way, i knew about Sabonis and was very excited for a hot minute until the details of the trade came through. Then the news of the trade and the signing of Biyombo. I love listening to sports radio and watching all the talk shows on ESPN. Nobody knew what the Magic were doing and multiple talk show personalities publicly stated right then that this was a disaster. 

And it Was!

I will always say that theoretically, trading for Serge Ibaka made some sense if he truly could be the interior defender who could stretch the floor. It was a great complement to Nick Vucevic's game at the time.

The problem was that I'm truly not convinced that Serge Ibaka was the age he said he was. We all thought we were getting Serge Ibaka in his prime but once we got him, he felt just a lot slower and was becoming much less effective at the prime age of 27. I will continue to say that my theory is that Serge Ibaka is about four years older than what he says he actually is. And because of that, this trade was a complete disaster, on top of the fact that both players traded ended up becoming All-Stars. 

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

I will always say that theoretically, trading for Serge Ibaka made some sense if he truly could be the interior defender who could stretch the floor. It was a great complement to Nick Vucevic's game at the time.

The problem was that I'm truly not convinced that Serge Ibaka was the age he said he was. We all thought we were getting Serge Ibaka in his prime but once we got him, he felt just a lot slower and was becoming much less effective at the prime age of 27. I will continue to say that my theory is that Serge Ibaka is about four years older than what he says he actually is. And because of that, this trade was a complete disaster, on top of the fact that both players traded ended up becoming All-Stars. 

The issue with Serge was he never wanted to be here, and he acted like it from day one. I’ve tried so hard to block that trade and the Biyombo signing from my memory, what a horrible off-season.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, even though i didn't start it i know i bring it up the most. I promise to never speak of it again after the Magic win a championship. LOL.

Kyrie looking good in Dallas. How long till it blows up again? Second round of the play-offs when Luka gives him a dirty look?

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

I'm sorry, even though i didn't start it i know i bring it up the most. I promise to never speak of it again after the Magic win a championship. LOL.

Kyrie looking good in Dallas. How long till it blows up again? Second round of the play-offs when Luka gives him a dirty look?

I'm giving it until they lose 3 in a row or Kyrie says something as a slight against Luka or the Mavs fanbase's love for him  

with that said, I think Mark Cuban is one of the best owners in the country and Texas is a place where if you don't want to get vaccinated, you dont have to be and no one judges you. This is a very ideal location and landing spot for Kyrie.