Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

I just want to see this team stay healthy and grow together. And if we want guys like Suggs to improve, he (and they) needs minutes. I understand the decision to stay the course for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Markelle Fultz says “Hi” …not only pushing guys but I constantly see him communicating with guys, “you go here, you get this guy” …is the leader imo

^^^This. I mentioned the same in another thread. I have seen Fultz going up to a teammate after a play was over, pointing out  where the teammate should be or go. And his postgame interviews shows how he has matured.

Edit: In that scuffle between Mo and Rivers, it was mentioned how Fultz stayed on the bench and encouraged the teammates who were on the bench not to leave the bench.

Fultz is definitely a team leader. You don't have to yell at your teammates and nearly burst a blood vessel to be a team leader. 

A good example is Andre Iguodala, a veteran on the Golden State Warriors. He was sitting next to Draymond Green, calmly talking to him after Draymond threw fits, yelling and screaming, on the court and had to sit.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

And Pat Bev can lead the bench when Fultz is out. Maybe he can get Cole more focused on better shots too.

Having Beverly is not the culture we want to turn into. You don't want Beverly's way of getting a Magic player focused. Especially when the players who are currently on the team have been here longer than him. It could result in a good player asking to be traded.

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the trade if Beverley isn't being required to report?

I didnt like the trade initially but like it even less if we're basically getting no assets from it

1 hour ago, Phil4Real said:

I am focused on competing the rest of the regular season and try to make a play-in run.

I don't think the FO helped that goal today, but the good news is that the East weakened a bit (compared to the west) and Chicago, Washington (direct rivals) did nothing.

Thanks Kyrie???

the front office helped it by standing pat and letting this team marinate. 

we have the best young team in the NBA

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I just want to see this team stay healthy and grow together. And if we want guys like Suggs to improve, he (and they) needs minutes. I understand the decision to stay the course for now.

likewise. organically 

8 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I do agree that holding on to Mo and re-signing him into this season was a waste of everyone’s time. We should’ve moved on last deadline and addressed backup Center in the off-season.

I think we tried. Rumours we wanted Hartenstein and only after he signed with the Knicks did we re-sign Bamba.

6 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the trade if Beverley isn't being required to report?

I didnt like the trade initially but like it even less if we're basically getting no assets from it

Before the trade we needed a new backup C and had Bamba's 10 million coming off the books in the summer. 

After the trade we still need a backup C and have Patrick Beverley's 13 mil coming off the books in the summer (and presumably got paid the cash difference in salaries) and we got a 2nd round pick. 

We were happy to move on from Bamba, Bamba probably wanted to go somewhere else too since he was basically out of the rotation, and we got a little something for making it happen. 

This summer is going to be super interesting the cap is projected to be 134m and we currently have about 104m on the books + 2 lottery pick salaries which'll be another 12-15m depending on where the picks land so let's say 120m I.e. 14m in space but could be more or less. And we can make 40m more if we waive Harris, Fultz, Bol and Isaac (highly unlikely). 

I think it's possible, if we need to make room, we guarantee Harris and trade him into somebody's cap space if we can find a deal that brings back no salary and gives us something. 

14m is a weird amount, doesn't get you a top FA probably just an MLE type so I'm wondering if, if we can't find any big moves, we try to operate as an over the cap team to get the full MLE. It'd require us to extend like Mo Wagner and Cole Anthony or something. But we'd get the full MLE to go over the cap with to add a piece if there's one we like in that price range. 

Not a lot of great free agents I'd be ecstatic about giving big money to anyway. 

The alternative route is we're really primed to pull the trigger on a trade should one come available that we like. Space to absorb a contract to make it work, expiring useful players in Harris and Bol (and Fultz I suppose if we're trading for a PG). Young pieces in Cole, Chuma, Suggs maybe though I don't think we'd be looking to trade him unless it was like a star. 2 lotto picks and a future spare pick from Denver. A bajillion second rounders to sweeten the pot. 

And if there's no trade to be made and no big free agents to get this summer, summer of 24 is going to be huge for the Magic. 

At present we only have 60 million in commited salary that summer (+ the salaries of our draft picks and anybody we sign/re-sign this summer). The following players will be free agents (if they're still with us and don't sign extensions): Markelle Fultz, Gary Harris, Cole Anthony, Bol Bol, Chuma Okeke. On top of that Franz and Jalen will be extension eligible.