Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

Trae Young might also be available. He’d be great if he just stopped hogging the ball for so long and got better at the little things.

I even feel the same way about Luka

On 4/10/2023 at 9:13 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Same really. 

You could argue we should trade everything for him if we get the opportunity but realistically I'd feel a lot better about it if we kept Paolo/Franz. 

The thing about any huge trade is it shifts the roster dynamics in such an unfathomable way. As a team you go from "we've got a huge window to contend with these 2 young stars on rookie deals" to "we need to win now", Paolo goes from "#1 option and guy we're building around" to "learn to play off ball while Luka dominates it and we might end up trading you if this doesn't work", Franz gets relegated to more of a roleplayer role, any young guys we still have that aren't Paolo/Franz are suddenly in "be good roleplayers or we're trading you for someone who will" situations... It's basically impossible to know how everyone would cope with all that until it happens. 

I agree with the concept in general, those dynamics are hard to envision, we have a last example with the same Dallas, with a pairing of two superstars that hasn't really worked (even if that one wasn't really that hard to envision, but that's another story...)

Point is that even if we like a A LOT the Paolo/Franz pairing, it's not a given what they will become, and even if we've liked chemestry, coach, upcoming talent and whatever else, we've been still the 6th worst team of the league. OKC is rebuilding too but was able to reach play-in. And look ar Sacramento after a move that hadn't convinced everyone.

In the hipothetical Luka scenario, I see a fit with Franz there, and I would be worried with Paolo too, so he should be probably the one to be traded. I would not consider the Trae scenario at all.

26 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I agree with the concept in general, those dynamics are hard to envision, we have a last example with the same Dallas, with a pairing of two superstars that hasn't really worked (even if that one wasn't really that hard to envision, but that's another story...)

Point is that even if we like a A LOT the Paolo/Franz pairing, it's not a given what they will become, and even if we've liked chemestry, coach, upcoming talent and whatever else, we've been still the 6th worst team of the league. OKC is rebuilding too but was able to reach play-in. And look ar Sacramento after a move that hadn't convinced everyone.

In the hipothetical Luka scenario, I see a fit with Franz there, and I would be worried with Paolo too, so he should be probably the one to be traded. I would not consider the Trae scenario at all.

Just on the OKC point. OKC are rebuilding but already have 5th year SGA making 30 million a season. Realistically the only major difference between us and them is one of their young guys is already a full fledged star but he's also had 3-4 more years to develop. 

Trae is a great offensive player. If we were talking about adding him to the Buddy Ball team four years ago i would be all aboard. It's not four years ago.

We do need more offense but now we want two way players. Trae is never going to be good on the defensive end. We need to add guys like Desmond Bane and JJJ. The Grizzles aren't trading them any time soon but look around the league for similar players.

Offensively we have two creators and two developing scorers. We need to add one more but paying Trae a max and giving up assets won't make us a contender. Heck he barely made the Hawks a playoff team.