Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

3 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

71 second round picks exchanged in the last two months, that's amazing. But again, our FO is the master of future 2nd, still feel like they missed an opportunity in a market that was perfect for our assets (without giving up first)

Who of the people traded for 2nds would have helped us in any meaningful way? 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

exactly!!!!!!!! Its jarring

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I've not made specific names at any time (I obviously couldn't know every player from other teams), that's the job FO is paid for, and we obviously can't know details of each trade, and also of each player that was on the point of being traded and was finally not. Opinions on our needs could also be different, every forum member has his own. But you pointed the low price for Hyland for example, and the need for a backup C. I agree on both, there surely were more opportunities, and I wouldn't mind having an experienced PG too, cause when Fultz is out, our team seem to be less effective. Anyway, the point was that was the perfect market for our assets, and all we have done is getting another 2nd for a former early 1st round pick.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

I've not made specific names at any time (I obviously couldn't know every player from other teams), that's the job FO is paid for, and we obviously can't know details of each trade, and also of each player that was on the point of being traded and was finally not. Opinions on our needs could also be different, every forum member has his own. But you pointed the low price for Hyland for example, and the need for a backup C. I agree on both, there surely were more opportunities, and I wouldn't mind having an experienced PG too, cause when Fultz is out, our team seem to be less effective. Anyway, the point was that was the perfect market for our assets, and all we have done is getting another 2nd for a former early 1st round pick.

Given the stuff that's come out about Bones' attitude it's highly unlikely Weltman would even be interested in him. 

The only players we know could be had for second round picks are the ones that were actually traded for second round picks. Anybody who wasn't traded was presumably either not available or would cost more than what any team offered. If the players weren't available, how could we trade for them? And if the players would cost more than any team offered do you want us to, in the eyes of the rest of the league, over pay just to make a trade? 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

If the players weren't available, how could we trade for them?

That's just assumption honestly, we have no idea of the price and the players available (surely a lot more of the ones that were finally moved), only managers do.

All i say is that we have a ton of 2nd (that we usually don't even use) that we were in the middle of a deadline dominated by those kind of picks, and we weren't even able to find a rotation backup. At any point I've suggested to overpay just to make a trade, only to improve our second unit. But constantly doing nothing is not the way to build a contender IMO. There are around 450 players in the league, not finding a single upgrade is hard, or maybe we just overestimate what we have too much.

Improving was also key for showing to the actual core that we care about winning and we're going to do everything possible to get into the playoffs, which would be an invaluable lesson for all of them so early in their careers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

That's just assumption honestly, 

Your entire premise is based on the assumption that there were players available who would have made us better and who we had the assets to acquire but we didn't do it.

It's possible that you're right but if we didn't do it there's probably a good reason like the assets were more than we'd be willing to give up, or it would be bad cap wise, or it would compress our timeline. Or we think the assets can be better used in other ways in the future.

Sure, but as the same time, your theory is based on the fact that FO was active in searching such improvements, while it's quite a few season that they've showed a bit of inactivity (how many times we've said we're keeping all those assets for the future?), playing a waiting game that sometimes could be good... and sometimes not.

Assuming that there wasn't a backup center or another role player, not a TOP player, for a similar price that was paid for other similar profiles, seems like a stretch to me. Shouldn't be that hard to find a way to make us better considering that we have quite a few things we can clearly improve.

56 minutes ago, MagicMoses said:

A bit of fun on a Sunday. What’s the best offer we could make for Doncic whilst still being competitive?

The best offer whilst being competitive and "deals we would be willing to offer" are two entirely different things. 

Like realistically we could offer Paolo, Fultz, Both 2023 lotto picks, 2024 pick swap, Ours and Denver's 2025 picks. And we'd still have: 

Luka

Suggs (starting because his defense would be really important with Luka)

Franz

Sign an FA PF

WCJ 

Cole, G Harris and a couple of cheap role playing vets on the bench. 

Long term that's still probably a better team than any the Mavs have ever put around Luka. 

Obviously we wouldn't be trading Paolo (or Franz in an ideal world) for basically anything (I'm not entirely convinced he and Luka are a great fit together though). But it's safe to say if Luka wanted to come here and he was available (I don't believe he will be) we could make an offer that'd be hard to match and still have stuff to be a playoff team.

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The best offer whilst being competitive and "deals we would be willing to offer" are two entirely different things. 

Like realistically we could offer Paolo, Fultz, Both 2023 lotto picks, 2024 pick swap, Ours and Denver's 2025 picks. And we'd still have: 

Luka

Suggs (starting because his defense would be really important with Luka)

Franz

Sign an FA PF

WCJ 

Cole, G Harris and a couple of cheap role playing vets on the bench. 

Long term that's still probably a better team than any the Mavs have ever put around Luka. 

Obviously we wouldn't be trading Paolo (or Franz in an ideal world) for basically anything (I'm not entirely convinced he and Luka are a great fit together though). But it's safe to say if Luka wanted to come here and he was available (I don't believe he will be) we could make an offer that'd be hard to match and still have stuff to be a playoff team.

The irony is given what it’d take to trade for him, I’d rather keep Paulo and the zillion picks. I’m personally holding out hope for a Jaylen Brown signing in 2024.

7 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

The irony is given what it’d take to trade for him, I’d rather keep Paulo and the zillion picks. I’m personally holding out hope for a Jaylen Brown signing in 2024.

Same really. 

You could argue we should trade everything for him if we get the opportunity but realistically I'd feel a lot better about it if we kept Paolo/Franz. 

The thing about any huge trade is it shifts the roster dynamics in such an unfathomable way. As a team you go from "we've got a huge window to contend with these 2 young stars on rookie deals" to "we need to win now", Paolo goes from "#1 option and guy we're building around" to "learn to play off ball while Luka dominates it and we might end up trading you if this doesn't work", Franz gets relegated to more of a roleplayer role, any young guys we still have that aren't Paolo/Franz are suddenly in "be good roleplayers or we're trading you for someone who will" situations... It's basically impossible to know how everyone would cope with all that until it happens. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Same really. 

You could argue we should trade everything for him if we get the opportunity but realistically I'd feel a lot better about it if we kept Paolo/Franz. 

The thing about any huge trade is it shifts the roster dynamics in such an unfathomable way. As a team you go from "we've got a huge window to contend with these 2 young stars on rookie deals" to "we need to win now", Paolo goes from "#1 option and guy we're building around" to "learn to play off ball while Luka dominates it and we might end up trading you if this doesn't work", Franz gets relegated to more of a roleplayer role, any young guys we still have that aren't Paolo/Franz are suddenly in "be good roleplayers or we're trading you for someone who will" situations... It's basically impossible to know how everyone would cope with all that until it happens. 

I think of Tatum and Brown. Imagine the mistake it would have been to break those two up. I feel the same about Franz and Paulo.

• Upvote 1