Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

51 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

This summer is going to be super interesting the cap is projected to be 134m and we currently have about 104m on the books + 2 lottery pick salaries which'll be another 12-15m depending on where the picks land so let's say 120m I.e. 14m in space but could be more or less. And we can make 40m more if we waive Harris, Fultz, Bol and Isaac (highly unlikely). 

I think it's possible, if we need to make room, we guarantee Harris and trade him into somebody's cap space if we can find a deal that brings back no salary and gives us something. 

14m is a weird amount, doesn't get you a top FA probably just an MLE type so I'm wondering if, if we can't find any big moves, we try to operate as an over the cap team to get the full MLE. It'd require us to extend like Mo Wagner and Cole Anthony or something. But we'd get the full MLE to go over the cap with to add a piece if there's one we like in that price range. 

Not a lot of great free agents I'd be ecstatic about giving big money to anyway. 

The alternative route is we're really primed to pull the trigger on a trade should one come available that we like. Space to absorb a contract to make it work, expiring useful players in Harris and Bol (and Fultz I suppose if we're trading for a PG). Young pieces in Cole, Chuma, Suggs maybe though I don't think we'd be looking to trade him unless it was like a star. 2 lotto picks and a future spare pick from Denver. A bajillion second rounders to sweeten the pot. 

And if there's no trade to be made and no big free agents to get this summer, summer of 24 is going to be huge for the Magic. 

At present we only have 60 million in commited salary that summer (+ the salaries of our draft picks and anybody we sign/re-sign this summer). The following players will be free agents (if they're still with us and don't sign extensions): Markelle Fultz, Gary Harris, Cole Anthony, Bol Bol, Chuma Okeke. On top of that Franz and Jalen will be extension eligible. 

I just don't see us pulling off anything big and messing up chemistry. We always think we're going to make splashy free agent signings, but in reality, this team and management feels more and more like "organic growth" is the way we're going to win. 

As I said about the trade deadline, I would be shocked if we pulled off something big. It's not management's MO and hasn't been since we signed Hedo and Rashard Lewis.  

11 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I just want to see this team stay healthy and grow together. And if we want guys like Suggs to improve, he (and they) needs minutes. I understand the decision to stay the course for now.

Agree on the first part. I also have hopes on Suggs (mindset is good, if he's as tenacious in learning to shoot better, he could be really good) but using assets/adding talent doesn't automatically mean taking away minutes from Jalen, or others. First, because if they're really good, they'll earn those minutes. Second, we actually have in our rotation a good amount of minutes played by fringe players like Bol or Mo available. Not a long ago, we were even giving regular minutes to Schofield, Harris, not forgetting Ross.

I didn't pretend (or expected) a big move or an overhaul, but there were definitely space to make one good move at least, and we just did nothing like other times in the past. I would have even liked a Beverley-like guy to stay, a veteran that could have given a little spark to the young group.

4 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I just don't see us pulling off anything big and messing up chemistry. We always think we're going to make splashy free agent signings, but in reality, this team and management feels more and more like "organic growth" is the way we're going to win. 

As I said about the trade deadline, I would be shocked if we pulled off something big. It's not management's MO and hasn't been since we signed Hedo and Rashard Lewis.  

I agree, and probably that's what will happen.

Still, there's a point in between making splashy moves and waiting for organic grow (too much). I think that FO should operate in that space, but they're more on the long evaluating side.

8 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think there's a space between big and splashy and organic that's in the realm of adding good long term pieces to supplement the internal development. And it's that kind of stuff I'm thinking about in free agency and trades.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think there's a space between big and splashy and organic that's in the realm of adding good long term pieces to supplement the internal development. And it's that kind of stuff I'm thinking about in free agency and trades.

You copied me! :P JK, I'm happy we're on the same page, even with different opinions about the FO.

Now we could only focus on games and play-in. Last night victory was good again to stay on track. In the next five we play Indiana, Chicago and Toronto, and all of them are teams that we need to get by in the standings (not sure that Nets will fall enough, even if they lost their stars).

18 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

You copied me! :P JK, I'm happy we're on the same page, even with different opinions about the FO.

Now we could only focus on games and play-in. Last night victory was good again to stay on track. In the next five we play Indiana, Chicago and Toronto, and all of them are teams that we need to get by in the standings (not sure that Nets will fall enough, even if they lost their stars).

You're right I totally did lol didn't see that. 

Yea honestly I don't know if the play-in is on the cards but if we could be in the hunt for it the whole way I'd be pretty happy. Right now we're 3 games out but the Raptors, who are in that spot, strengthened. I'm with you I think the Nets drop off from 5th seed but can't see them dropping out, their roster isnt bad and they're 11 games over .500. 

We just smacked the Nuggets with ease and it took them a buzzer beater to beat us before that.

internal growth is gonna be amazing

this team will be championship contenders next season at full strength!

This summer is gonna be amazing 

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Before the trade we needed a new backup C and had Bamba's 10 million coming off the books in the summer. 

After the trade we still need a backup C and have Patrick Beverley's 13 mil coming off the books in the summer (and presumably got paid the cash difference in salaries) and we got a 2nd round pick. 

We were happy to move on from Bamba, Bamba probably wanted to go somewhere else too since he was basically out of the rotation, and we got a little something for making it happen. 

So its purely a salary cap move?

23 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

So its purely a salary cap move?

No, not at all. It's a "we don't want this guy and we'll waive him in the summer might as well get a 2nd for him" move. 

• Like 1