Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

31 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

That makes sense. Especially with all the rumors coming out of Toronto right now, it feels like if they dealt Fred, they’d pretty much have to give him away at this point

This quote is important. If the magic are targeting Fred i feel like it is because it would be cheap and they have shown interest in a couple players we have. Fred probably told them he will opt out of his contract. I suspect if the rumors are true it is because the Raptors have contacted our front office. 

And when i say cheap i mean draft capitol cheap. Obviously the Magic are going to get one last lottery haul this summer. The Raptors cannot ask for any of those picks for an expiring 6 foot point guard. So as to why the Magic would do a trade like that it would be because he came cheap and they want our extra guys.

Again they might have contacted us about a few guys but i have my guesses. Toronto has two big needs. No guards and no true center except Koloko, who they just drafted. 

I could see them targeting Cole and RJ as cheap filler while they decide to rebuild or not. They probably think they could coach them up in the Toronto system. Then it's a matter of who is going as salary filler. Bamba? Do the Magic have the will to finally part ways. Gary Harris? Does Toronto think they are losing GTJ? Harris could be a good one year fill in for that team.

And maybe it's Ross. He would be pure salary filler and if it's him i'm guessing we would send a decent pick in return. Maybe the Denver pick. 

I think Terrence Ross is gone. T-Ross for Fred straight up with a 2nd round pick thrown in seems the most likely scenario, but I don't think it does much for us. 

Ultimately, I don't think we move on anything. We're pretty conservative on trades with this FO and there isn't anything that jumps out that makes us think we'll take a good step forward with one of these trades. 

26 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think Terrence Ross is gone. T-Ross for Fred straight up with a 2nd round pick thrown in seems the most likely scenario, but I don't think it does much for us. 

No way Toronto does that unless they believe they've got no chance of keeping him and don't get any other offers.

I also think we can get a lot better for TRoss from other contenders or maybe apart of a 3 or more team trade. He's seems to be a valuable commodity for playoff hopefuls who need that extra scoring boost. Maybe LA (either of them) or Dallas or someone else. 

My hope is that there will be some combination of Ross/Hampton/Chuma/Bamba/Harris for either another player that fits our timeline a little better or gets us someone who could turn into a star next to Paolo and Franz. I know Jordan Poole hasn't had a great year but that's a name that jumps into my head. Or someone else to backup WCJ. 

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

Ultimately, I don't think we move on anything. We're pretty conservative on trades with this FO and there isn't anything that jumps out that makes us think we'll take a good step forward with one of these trades. 

They have but they should not be anymore....anytime you get a 1st overall pick you have to get to work. I'm expecting something positive by the trade deadline....we shall see.

I'm expecting fringe moves. We don't need to be in a rush to make moves for the sake of moves. We should only make a meaningful trade if it nets us a piece we view as long term and those are hard deals to get done.  

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

To be clear a lot of recent reports have said we're interested in him as a free agent and not as a trade target. Who knows though. Trent is an FA this summer if he declined his PO could easily be him we're interested in in that respect like you say.

Yeap, the possible trade is for Trent. FVV is pure smoke, IMO.  And Trent would be a nice addition to this Magic Team.

From a previous post:

Gary Trent Jr appears to fit the future Magic team....

Height: 6'5"

Wingspan: 6'8.5"

Player Option After This Season / Salary If Not Opt Out 2023/24: $18,785.00 (high but not ridiculously high / Magic will have to offer more money for 3 - 4 years of his service

I’m not in love with it, but I see the attractiveness of FVV for this team. He can play the 1 or 2, he’s a proven leader, and our guard situation has been a mess forever. If Fultz goes down, the team goes down. I wish we had 1. Drafted Brunson back in the day, or 2. Found a way to get Brunson last summer. Without a doubt, our guard trajectory is the most uncertain to me.

Edit: I also see the attractiveness of Trent Jr.

31 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm expecting fringe moves. We don't need to be in a rush to make moves for the sake of moves. We should only make a meaningful trade if it nets us a piece we view as long term and those are hard deals to get done.  

I smell a blockbuster trade or a mini blockbuster trade at some point.....not saying this upcoming trade deadline is when it's going to happen but it is going to happen.

A 1st overall is here to win championships, he basically demands it. The one thing we'd like NOT to see is a ridiculous trade or free agent deal.