Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Rookie Watch

Magic No. 1 Pick Paolo Banchero Wins December Rookie of the Month

Paolo Banchero helped lead the Orlando Magic to a winning record in December.

Last month, the Magic went 8-7, much in part due to Banchero's heroics. He averaged 19.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.1 assists - no other rookie was even close. Mathurin's stats came up second, with averages of 14.7 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists.

Even though Banchero struggled during the final week of the month with some of his worst performances of his young NBA career, the top pick from Duke is establishing himself as one of the young phenoms in the league.

• Upvote 1

Paolo is top 10 in Eastern Conference Frontcourt voting for the All Star Game. He probably won't make it because he won't get in on the vote and coaches very rarely pick rookies but he'll almost certainly make it next year if he keeps going.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This is terrible cherry picking stuff but it furthers the agenda: 

I'd say win a game (and many) "by himself" like for example Le Bron, Steph......and it's not only scoring the most points in that game, it's the other little things, a key steal, etc, you know.

He is still a rookie I know and he is doing GREAT....and he'll win us a bunch of games.

Looking forward for those wins to be "playoffs time of games" and / or real playoffs games.

Your boy had he highest plus/minus on the Blazers last night in 15 minutes. I hate the New NBA sometimes where teams live or die on the 3 point shot. I'm glad the Magic won but if Portland had used Nurkic inside more and let Sharpe drive to the basket it might have been different. If teams are built around 3 point shooting they will keep shooting until they have 35-40 attempts. They basically lost because Lillard missed all those shots. It was a good game but i still miss the old days where teams shot about twenty 3's a game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Your boy had he highest plus/minus on the Blazers last night in 15 minutes. I hate the New NBA sometimes where teams live or die on the 3 point shot. I'm glad the Magic won but if Portland had used Nurkic inside more and let Sharpe drive to the basket it might have been different. If teams are built around 3 point shooting they will keep shooting until they have 35-40 attempts. They basically lost because Lillard missed all those shots. It was a good game but i still miss the old days where teams shot about twenty 3's a game.

Yeah he’s playing behind 2 ball dominant guards as I keep saying and as you saw last night …he’ll have his time to shine …could be sooner if the Blazers keep struggling and they make some trades 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I think if the magic hadn't gone away from paolo, i think he would have dropped 25 instead of 19. Also the refs were not calling fouls the same - though they did let the teams play physical.