Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Rookie Watch

Nate …I’m glad you haven’t forgotten our summer conversations lol …I couldn’t read your link …This is what I think …I think Banchero will win ROY …he’ll get touches and minutes, stats cause he’s on a poor team …Sharpe is on a much better team so he won’t get that …having said that his growth just 6 games in is incredible, especially considering his background playing wise …I’d say he’s the odds on favorite to win the Slam Dunk right now …and I’m sticking with what I’ve said all summer …he was what the Magic needed and still do …especially in light of our guard situation …we are loaded with bigs already …also think 2 to 3 years down the road he’ll be the best player from this draft .

The words Jonathan Givony used to describe him are looking scary accurate at this day and time (see below):

Why Sharpe Might Be Better Than The Big Three

No player currently projected in the draft's top three is as smooth with the ball in his hands as Sharpe. In a league that covets perimeter shot-creators more than ever, the 18-year-old Sharpe offers an element that Holmgren and Smith don't -- the ability to make pull-up 3s with range, create space out of isolations, and get all the way to the rim for explosive finishes. Smith does two out of the three but hasn't quite shown the ability to break down his man for consistent paint touches and rim attacks. We're still learning more about Holmgren as a primary creator. Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.

Although not quite as powerful at 198 pounds, Sharpe has the skill set to eventually function like Anthony Edwards does for Minnesota as a three-level, pick-and-roll scorer who can also make enough reads to moonlight as the primary ball handler for stretches. Sharpe's passing potential is one of the things that stood out to me most during a Kentucky practice this season. With that said, there are real questions about whether or not Sharpe has the motor and aggression to consistently hunt the type of shots that Edwards -- never short on confidence -- does, as Sharpe is often compared to Andrew Wiggins in terms of his consistency and approach. But in terms of the potential as a pick-and-roll scorer with passing upside, Sharpe is in a class of his own.

Paolo having a literal historic start to his career and there’s still posts on here saying we needed a guard instead. Incredible. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Natesroom said:
Rk Player From To G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 Paolo Banchero 2023 2023 6 6 33.3 7.8 16.8 .465 1.3 4.2 .320 6.5 12.7 .513 .505 6.5 8.7 .750 1.3 7.0 8.3 3.8 0.7 1.3 2.7 2.0 23.5
2 Shaedon Sharpe 2023 2023 6 1 18.5 3.7 7.3 .500 1.0 2.3 .429 2.7 5.0 .533 .568 1.0 1.5 .667 1.3 1.7 3.0 0.7 0.3 0.2 0.8 2.7 9.3

This isnt a link at least i dont think it is...

8 hours ago, King Close said:

Paolo having a literal historic start to his career and there’s still posts on here saying we needed a guard instead. Incredible. 

Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.
https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/team/_/table/offensive/sort/threePointPct/dir/desc
We are ranked 29 out of 30 teams in 3 point shooting …there’s a reason people here are complaining about the shooting …Sharpe shooting 43% from the arc 6 games in …he also doesn’t seem to be a ball hog …picks and chooses his time to create, many times choosing to facilitate …don’t know if you’re looking at some of the vids I posted but wow his athleticism is off the charts …in the summer his vertical was discussed as to whether it was better than Jordan …kid is doing these things with basically no experience since playing HS and even then that was 18 months ago …had no summer league either .

Mathurin another to watch …as I said earlier Paolo is gonna put up numbers …win ROY .

9 hours ago, King Close said:

Well he plays the 4, and I’m sure we’ll desperately need Oscar Tshiebwe at that position next draft lmao

1 hour ago, O_SteveO said:

Well he plays the 4, and I’m sure we’ll desperately need Oscar Tshiebwe at that position next draft lmao

Sarcasm noted …but it’s about fit …nobody is trying to discredit Banchero …he’s a great player …but we’re loaded with bigs …heck we’ve still got Jonathan Isaac supposedly to play soon …and he plays basically the same position as Banchero …meanwhile our backcourt has been awful again on top on the now injury situation .

I stand by my prediction of how this story will be told a couple years down the road …

Edit: I hope I’m wrong and that all the Magic pieces start fitting together seamlessly and we start winning again 

I could go on a rant about all the guards listed on this board the Magic could have acquired, but i won't.

Basically i think some of the posters on here watch more basketball then Gm's. last few years i would say 75% of the guys you all have mentioned have blown up.

Good job TrueBluenation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Sarcasm noted …but it’s about fit …nobody is trying to discredit Banchero …he’s a great player …but we’re loaded with bigs …heck we’ve still got Jonathan Isaac supposedly to play soon …and he plays basically the same position as Banchero …meanwhile our backcourt has been awful again on top on the now injury situation .

I stand by my prediction of how this story will be told a couple years down the road …

Edit: I hope I’m wrong and that all the Magic pieces start fitting together seamlessly and we start winning again 

You don’t draft based on fit if you have the first pick. You draft BPA, and build around your star player if you’re lucky enough to get one. Luckily, we found one in Paolo. 

We don’t know if JI will ever see an NBA court again, we damn sure shouldn’t draft around building a team around him. 

4 hours ago, King Close said:

You don’t draft based on fit if you have the first pick. You draft BPA, and build around your star player if you’re lucky enough to get one. Luckily, we found one in Paolo. 

We don’t know if JI will ever see an NBA court again, we damn sure shouldn’t draft around building a team around him. 

Sharpe was definitely a candidate for BPA see link …Weltham also brought him in for a workout though they opted for Banchero because he was more of the sure thing …had more data on him …Sharpe was the unknown …Banchero will win ROY cause he’ll get more minutes and opportunities …nobody trying to discredit him …but BPA from this years draft will not be determined for a few years because of Sharpe’s inexperience …hope I’m wrong …one thing though, if Sharpe turns out to be the best player in this draft Magic won’t be the only team that passed on him 

And on Isaac …nobody is saying or said to build around him …point is if he ever gets back on the court he plays the same position as Banchero …just another BIG in our crowded rotation to try and find minutes for.

11 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Sharpe was definitely a candidate for BPA see link …Weltham also brought him in for a workout though they opted for Banchero because he was more of the sure thing …had more data on him …Sharpe was the unknown …Banchero will win ROY cause he’ll get more minutes and opportunities …nobody trying to discredit him …but BPA from this years draft will not be determined for a few years because of Sharpe’s inexperience …hope I’m wrong …one thing though, if Sharpe turns out to be the best player in this draft Magic won’t be the only team that passed on him 

And on Isaac …nobody is saying or said to build around him …point is if he ever gets back on the court he plays the same position as Banchero …just another BIG in our crowded rotation to try and find minutes for.

I would argue that Isaac’s game is nothing like Paolo’s. And they would play together very well. But I doubt we ever see that and with the emergence of Bol even less likely. My guess is we trade him or he retires at this point. His injury looks to be a career ending one. Very sad.