Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Rookie Watch

Let’s add another fun thread into the mix. Given that we’ve got Paulo and another promising rookie, I thought it’d be fun to discuss these guys and the rest of their class. Go Magic!

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Good idea Soul Bro …how’s Jabari Smith doing ? …The kid that I’d say 75 percent of this board wanted .

I've been swamped, so I'm barely able to keep up with the Magic. That said, beyond Paulo, Ivey and Duren looked incredible the other night. Sharpe's stat line looked great, too, and I've yet to check on Smith. Maybe this class actually has some real talent? 

I was pleasantly surprised to find my DVR had recorded the Magic game the other night. I thought Bally sports was only airing home games this year. That was the rumor.

Anyway, Franz and Paolo looked really good. Future all-stars for sure. Ivey looked good, not as fast as i thought but much more refined. Duren looks like a steal. I wish we had him. He would look so good next to the other guys, even though i really like WCJ, Duren looks like rookie Dwight like everyone is saying.

• Like 1

It's only one game, but Banchero's debut lived up to the hype worthy of being the top overall pick in last summer's NBA draft. With 27 points, nine rebounds and five assists, Banchero became just the third No.1 overall pick since 1969 to record 25-5-5 in his debut.

The others? LeBron James and Lew Alcindor.

Banchero's got a long way to go before he matches the impressive scoring resumes of those decorated players, but scoring at this level already seems natural. He started the game on the attack, knocking down his first three shots and scoring six of Orlando's first eight points on his way to shattering the franchise scoring record for a player in their first career game. Banchero flashed all the skills of his offensive arsenal -- a posterizing dunk over Cory Joseph attempting to take a charge, posted up and got to the foul line and even knocked down a few midrange jumpers.

He finished 11-of-18 shooting, the most made field goals by a rookie in his debut since James in 2003, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

"It's crazy," Banchero said. "I feel like I left a lot of points on the board."

And, perhaps, even more impressive was the fact that Banchero may have been right. -- Jamal Collier

Smith's NBA debut didn't unfold in the storybook fashion he imagined when he learned that the Rockets would open the season in his hometown.

Smith was solid in the Rockets' loss to the Atlanta Hawks, where he had dozens of friends and family members in the crowd.

Smith, the No. 3 overall pick, displayed the defensive potential that helped him shoot up draft boards. He grabbed seven rebounds. He flashed the sweet shooting form that's so rare from an athletic, 6-foot-11 forward, such as when Smith confidently swished his first career 3-pointer from a few feet behind the arc.

"I was proud of him. He was aggressive," Rockets coach Stephen Silas told reporters. "He didn't seem scared at all. It was his first opportunity to be in an NBA game, at home. He went out there and played well."

Smith, however, didn't shoot well overall. He was 6-of-17 from the floor and 3-of-11 from 3-point range.

"Oh my God, I got so many looks; I just didn't knock them down," Smith told reporters. "But I know that's going to come. With me being a shooter, that's not my first time missing shots. I'm not tripping about it at all. I saw the open shots and saw where they were coming from. It makes the game a little easier when I've got guards that make that pass, who believe in me." -- Tim MacMahon

Ivey pulled up to his first NBA game in his grandfather's No. 28 Detroit Lions jersey, an ode to the connections his family has with the city, and gave Pistons fans the full experience as advertised on draft night.

He scored 10 of his 19 points in the third quarter where the Pistons took the lead -- flashing his blazing speed going coast-to-coast for a layup after a steal, knocking down 3-pointers off the dribble and putting pressure on the rim to help set up veteran sharpshooter Bojan Bogdanovic, who knocked down four 3s in the quarter.

Ivey, the 2022 No. 5 overall pick, added four assists, three rebounds and three steals to round out an exciting victory for Detroit.

"I just try to, every night, use my burst," Ivey said after the game. "I feel like I can get past some of the quickest guys. Once I beat the defender, I've got to start looking for some other guys. It's going to take some games to get used to that, but I feel I used my speed to the best of my ability tonight." -- Collier

Shaedon Sharpe | Portland Trail Blazers

Sharpe's debut went about as well as can be expected, knocking down all three of his 3-point attempts and scoring 12 points in 16 minutes while helping the Trail Blazers to a road win over Sacramento. After not playing a single game in college and getting hurt five minutes into his summer league opener, few knew what to expect from the 19-year-old Canadian rookie, especially with Portland in win-now mode.

Sharpe made an immediate impact attacking a closeout powerfully off a pump-fake and drawing contact for free throws after skying in the lane. He wasn't bashful in the slightest early, stepping into a corner-3 confidently, hitting a gorgeous 3-pointer running and turning off a screen off an inbounds play, and making a difficult stepback 3 relocating beyond the arc after being run off the line. His shot-making prowess looks as good as advertised, and everything he does seems effortless thanks to his exceptional talent.

Defensively, Sharpe was a mixed bag as expected, gambling, getting lost off the ball and being out of position showing his lack of experience and improvable technique. He did show potential in this area with his quick feet, strong frame and solid effort level, coming up with a couple of strong possessions to indicate he's a little further ahead in this area than you might expect.

While it will be years until we fully know what the Trail Blazers have in Sharpe, it's hard not to be encouraged by what we saw in terms of the role he's carved out early on and especially the production he brought. There will surely be plenty of ups and downs as the season moves on, but the fact that Sharpe is already in the rotation and contributing to winning is certainly notable projecting forward. -- Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34832837/nba-rookies-returns-2022-23-debuts-kawhi-leonard-zion-williamson-paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-jr-more

There’s more reviews if anyone wants to review 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I was pleasantly surprised to find my DVR had recorded the Magic game the other night. I thought Bally sports was only airing home games this year. That was the rumor.

Anyway, Franz and Paolo looked really good. Future all-stars for sure. Ivey looked good, not as fast as i thought but much more refined. Duren looks like a steal. I wish we had him. He would look so good next to the other guys, even though i really like WCJ, Duren looks like rookie Dwight like everyone is saying.

It was in the preseason they were only broadcasting the home games.  For regular season they broadcast everything.  

4 hours ago, ball junkie said:

It's only one game, but Banchero's debut lived up to the hype worthy of being the top overall pick in last summer's NBA draft. With 27 points, nine rebounds and five assists, Banchero became just the third No.1 overall pick since 1969 to record 25-5-5 in his debut.

The others? LeBron James and Lew Alcindor.

Banchero's got a long way to go before he matches the impressive scoring resumes of those decorated players, but scoring at this level already seems natural. He started the game on the attack, knocking down his first three shots and scoring six of Orlando's first eight points on his way to shattering the franchise scoring record for a player in their first career game. Banchero flashed all the skills of his offensive arsenal -- a posterizing dunk over Cory Joseph attempting to take a charge, posted up and got to the foul line and even knocked down a few midrange jumpers.

He finished 11-of-18 shooting, the most made field goals by a rookie in his debut since James in 2003, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

"It's crazy," Banchero said. "I feel like I left a lot of points on the board."

And, perhaps, even more impressive was the fact that Banchero may have been right. -- Jamal Collier

Smith's NBA debut didn't unfold in the storybook fashion he imagined when he learned that the Rockets would open the season in his hometown.

Smith was solid in the Rockets' loss to the Atlanta Hawks, where he had dozens of friends and family members in the crowd.

Smith, the No. 3 overall pick, displayed the defensive potential that helped him shoot up draft boards. He grabbed seven rebounds. He flashed the sweet shooting form that's so rare from an athletic, 6-foot-11 forward, such as when Smith confidently swished his first career 3-pointer from a few feet behind the arc.

"I was proud of him. He was aggressive," Rockets coach Stephen Silas told reporters. "He didn't seem scared at all. It was his first opportunity to be in an NBA game, at home. He went out there and played well."

Smith, however, didn't shoot well overall. He was 6-of-17 from the floor and 3-of-11 from 3-point range.

"Oh my God, I got so many looks; I just didn't knock them down," Smith told reporters. "But I know that's going to come. With me being a shooter, that's not my first time missing shots. I'm not tripping about it at all. I saw the open shots and saw where they were coming from. It makes the game a little easier when I've got guards that make that pass, who believe in me." -- Tim MacMahon

Ivey pulled up to his first NBA game in his grandfather's No. 28 Detroit Lions jersey, an ode to the connections his family has with the city, and gave Pistons fans the full experience as advertised on draft night.

He scored 10 of his 19 points in the third quarter where the Pistons took the lead -- flashing his blazing speed going coast-to-coast for a layup after a steal, knocking down 3-pointers off the dribble and putting pressure on the rim to help set up veteran sharpshooter Bojan Bogdanovic, who knocked down four 3s in the quarter.

Ivey, the 2022 No. 5 overall pick, added four assists, three rebounds and three steals to round out an exciting victory for Detroit.

"I just try to, every night, use my burst," Ivey said after the game. "I feel like I can get past some of the quickest guys. Once I beat the defender, I've got to start looking for some other guys. It's going to take some games to get used to that, but I feel I used my speed to the best of my ability tonight." -- Collier

Shaedon Sharpe | Portland Trail Blazers

Sharpe's debut went about as well as can be expected, knocking down all three of his 3-point attempts and scoring 12 points in 16 minutes while helping the Trail Blazers to a road win over Sacramento. After not playing a single game in college and getting hurt five minutes into his summer league opener, few knew what to expect from the 19-year-old Canadian rookie, especially with Portland in win-now mode.

Sharpe made an immediate impact attacking a closeout powerfully off a pump-fake and drawing contact for free throws after skying in the lane. He wasn't bashful in the slightest early, stepping into a corner-3 confidently, hitting a gorgeous 3-pointer running and turning off a screen off an inbounds play, and making a difficult stepback 3 relocating beyond the arc after being run off the line. His shot-making prowess looks as good as advertised, and everything he does seems effortless thanks to his exceptional talent.

Defensively, Sharpe was a mixed bag as expected, gambling, getting lost off the ball and being out of position showing his lack of experience and improvable technique. He did show potential in this area with his quick feet, strong frame and solid effort level, coming up with a couple of strong possessions to indicate he's a little further ahead in this area than you might expect.

While it will be years until we fully know what the Trail Blazers have in Sharpe, it's hard not to be encouraged by what we saw in terms of the role he's carved out early on and especially the production he brought. There will surely be plenty of ups and downs as the season moves on, but the fact that Sharpe is already in the rotation and contributing to winning is certainly notable projecting forward. -- Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34832837/nba-rookies-returns-2022-23-debuts-kawhi-leonard-zion-williamson-paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-jr-more

There’s more reviews if anyone wants to review 

Great stuff!

Bill Simmons also raved about Banchero on his latest pod

How often would you guys say that when the lottery looks up in the air as it did and the dust settled that THIS many of the top picks have all been fairly impressive so far. I'd be happy if we had Ivey, Mathurin, anyone. I totally think Paolo looks the goods though. He's got the it.

Mathurin is ballin’ …Jabari Smith is shooting 30 percent from the arc in 3 games …averaging 13 points and getting 32 minutes a game …I was never on his wagon …not saying he can’t recover