Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

On 1/24/2023 at 8:27 PM, TrueMagicFan07 said:

cW4Jxr.jpg     

HEY MODS, CALLING ALL MODS - EYES, SOUL, AND CT!

I'm Sorry for yelling!  I was just trying out Albert Lergier's way of getting our attention.

SUBJECT:  Early Game Thread Starter Posts - For the Next Three (3) Games this week

Seriously, as you all know, I am currently not at my primary home in Florida. I'm at my vacation home in Maryland. Tomorrow, I'm flying up to Rochester NY to visit with my sister-in-law. As I mentioned last year (January 2022) my brother passed away from Covid, and his wife is alone. So I try to visit her when I can.  

3 EARLY POSTS -

You will find the 3 pre-game thread starters on the main forum page underneath the pinned threads. They are posted in the order of the date the games will be played. I remember fellow forum member, JJZL, once mentioned the importance of having dedicated Game Threads. The game thread starters are there for the Wednesday January 25th game against the Pacers; the Friday January 27th game against the Heat; and the Saturday January 28th game against the Bulls---ONLY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!

EDIT: I posted the 3 game starters early because I will be staying in a Hotel and will not have a computer to do the graphics which I like to do.

Q7E3Ch.png

Wonderful, and thank you.  And very very sorry about your brother.  

3. So, umm, what exactly is Jalen Suggs?

Suggs has played 72 games, so it's too soon to really worry. But even amid early-career hiccups, it's nice to watch a young player and think: I can see what this guy will be on a good team. That's hard to do with Suggs.

He's averaging six dimes per 36 minutes, but he's not quite a point guard. Suggs shares the floor with either Markelle Fultz or Cole Anthony, and those guys run the show (along with Franz Wagner and Paolo Banchero.) On a lot of possessions, Suggs is barely involved -- off to the side in a spot-up role. He's not well-suited for that role right now; Suggs is 68-of-291 career (23.4%) from deep. No one guards him out there.

That shaky jumper limits Suggs' viability as a point guard. Defenders duck screens against him, walling off the paint and allowing help defenders to stay home.

Lots of point guards -- including Fultz -- face the same strategy. Some beat it with sheer speed -- winning the race to the spot underneath the screen. But it's hard to do that every time. You need craft -- changes of pace, shoulder fakes, the ability to bob and weave behind successive screens. Fultz has that. Suggs doesn't -- yet.

He's a full-speed-ahead player. That works in transition, where his passing shines. In the half-court, he sometimes sprints ahead of teammates.

Orlando drafted Wagner three spots after Suggs, so there's a no-harm, no-foul element if Suggs ends up underperforming expectations. (The Magic surely notice Josh Giddey -- No. 6 -- thriving in Oklahoma City.) We're a long way from final judgment. Time will bring clarity.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/35535025/lakers-hachimura-big-decisions-atlanta-coby-white-transformation

ESPN Zach Lowe has been reading my posts lol lol …