Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

I don't think the plan is to tank. However not getting vets means the plan is to be firmly in the lotto. The injures are real but they definitely keep players out extra long.

In the long run, when this team wins more games in the second half, we can debate what management should be doing. It's all up to health. If we peak after the new year because players finally get to play together, what does management do? If they still have players out every other game, will the fans care?

2 hours ago, Phil4Real said:

Yes! I was longing for this since the beginning of the season. I don't know if it's going to last or if they're gonna play Kelle every 12 games, like TRoss says.

I loved that TRoss video,and if we listen to what he says, and what JI said last week... Well, I don't think the players are super happy with the way FO manage things. 

Anyone alive still thinks we weren't tanking last month? I hope things change from here on out...

What’s the point of tanking for a month?

I’m not yet convinced that we’ll get much better when some of these people return.  I guess time will tell.  Not like we were winning tons of games when Anthony was playing earlier in the season.  

8 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I’m not yet convinced that we’ll get much better when some of these people return.  I guess time will tell.  Not like we were winning tons of games when Anthony was playing earlier in the season.  

True but we haven’t seen Fultz yet this year and I think he greatly improves this team because he can finish at the rim and knows how to run an offense and get guys the ball in good positions to score. Having Anthony come off the bench should also bolster our 2nd unit especially in the scoring department because they’ve been abysmal all year. 

2 hours ago, Fire Weltham said:

True but we haven’t seen Fultz yet this year and I think he greatly improves this team because he can finish at the rim and knows how to run an offense and get guys the ball in good positions to score. Having Anthony come off the bench should also bolster our 2nd unit especially in the scoring department because they’ve been abysmal all year. 

I hope you’re right.  It’s all pretty speculative right now because these guys haven’t really played together before, and because Fultz has been out over a year.   Guess we’ll see.  

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I’m not convinced we’ll be “healthy.”

I'm not convinced either at this point.

That team has surely the potential to do a lot better than this, but even with normal rotations, it's not a given. Will the mentality/cohesion/gameplan be good enough?

• Upvote 1

If the discussion about the team's current success (or lack thereof) is centered around tanking, then tbh I'm going to be pretty damn disgusted with our FO.

I am anti-tanking from the get go, but if the plan is to continue tanking, with all the youth and potential that we currently have, after already getting the #1 pick and getting a legitimate star to build around, then when does it actually stop?

This team is full of youth. How many players on the roster are 24 or under? It's basically everyone other than T-Ross, right? These guys need to actually develop. Learn how to play at an NBA level, learn how to win, and learn how to develop a culture among themselves and develop expectations. If the team sucks, they suck, so be it, and if they are middle of the pack and low lottery or even a low seed playoff entry, then so be it. No team goes from tanking to champion with the high end lottery pick that they tanked for. It doesn't happen, and the very rare exceptions that do happen have very big exceptions to the rule (i.e. an injured David Robinson coming back alongside TIm Duncan, or LeBron James signing to join alongside Kyrie Irving and bringing Kevin Love with him). Tanking is a failed philosophy to begin with, but when you actually have already gotten the draft picks, the youthful potential, the talent, it's time to start letting them play and develop and become what you drafted them to be.

If this organization is intentionally holding these players like Fultz, Isaac, and to a lesser extent, Carter and Anthony, out longer for these injuries when they could be playing and contributing now, then I will be absolutely disgusted. How is all this youth you've accumulated over the years of abysmal performance ever going to develop if you are intentionally not allowing them to play, and putting the ones who are left (like Paolo and Franz) in an impossible situation.

It's so absurd that I have a hard time fully believing that a professional front office would be so blatantly incompetent. 

Like, the supposed point of tanking is to get youthful talent that you can build around and improve with. Well, we have the talent. Why tf are we still in tank mode? For Wembanyama? Really? Dude looks like the next Chet Holmgren, meaning, severely injured before he can even step on the court. And as far as all this top tier talent talk is concerned, the greatest talent of a generation (LeBron James) couldn't win the team that drafted him a championship until they brought him back as a free agent to pair with another all-star talent and another #1 overall. Tanking for Wembanyama isn't going to be the move that turns this team from perpetual lottery team to NBA champions. But developing the players we have, developing chemistry and a culture of winning and expectations, and putting key pieces around that talent to enhance what we already have, is what can do it.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I hope you’re right.  It’s all pretty speculative right now because these guys haven’t really played together before, and because Fultz has been out over a year.   Guess we’ll see.  

I hope I am too for the sake of my sanity. It’s getting tiring being a Magic fan and watching this horrible product we keep putting out on the floor. 

The strangest part for me is: if they really think that getting high picks in a couple consecutive season (let's say rebuild and being careful with injuries, if not tanking) is the right way to build a team, why they waited 3 (wasted) seasons with the mediocrity team (Fournier-Vuch & co)?

I see no consistency at all in those decisions, no matter if I agree or not with the plan.

1 hour ago, Franchise408 said:

If the discussion about the team's current success (or lack thereof) is centered around tanking, then tbh I'm going to be pretty damn disgusted with our FO.

I am anti-tanking from the get go, but if the plan is to continue tanking, with all the youth and potential that we currently have, after already getting the #1 pick and getting a legitimate star to build around, then when does it actually stop?

This team is full of youth. How many players on the roster are 24 or under? It's basically everyone other than T-Ross, right? These guys need to actually develop. Learn how to play at an NBA level, learn how to win, and learn how to develop a culture among themselves and develop expectations. If the team sucks, they suck, so be it, and if they are middle of the pack and low lottery or even a low seed playoff entry, then so be it. No team goes from tanking to champion with the high end lottery pick that they tanked for. It doesn't happen, and the very rare exceptions that do happen have very big exceptions to the rule (i.e. an injured David Robinson coming back alongside TIm Duncan, or LeBron James signing to join alongside Kyrie Irving and bringing Kevin Love with him). Tanking is a failed philosophy to begin with, but when you actually have already gotten the draft picks, the youthful potential, the talent, it's time to start letting them play and develop and become what you drafted them to be.

If this organization is intentionally holding these players like Fultz, Isaac, and to a lesser extent, Carter and Anthony, out longer for these injuries when they could be playing and contributing now, then I will be absolutely disgusted. How is all this youth you've accumulated over the years of abysmal performance ever going to develop if you are intentionally not allowing them to play, and putting the ones who are left (like Paolo and Franz) in an impossible situation.

It's so absurd that I have a hard time fully believing that a professional front office would be so blatantly incompetent. 

Like, the supposed point of tanking is to get youthful talent that you can build around and improve with. Well, we have the talent. Why tf are we still in tank mode? For Wembanyama? Really? Dude looks like the next Chet Holmgren, meaning, severely injured before he can even step on the court. And as far as all this top tier talent talk is concerned, the greatest talent of a generation (LeBron James) couldn't win the team that drafted him a championship until they brought him back as a free agent to pair with another all-star talent and another #1 overall. Tanking for Wembanyama isn't going to be the move that turns this team from perpetual lottery team to NBA champions. But developing the players we have, developing chemistry and a culture of winning and expectations, and putting key pieces around that talent to enhance what we already have, is what can do it.

Amen, brother.  I’d give you +3 for that post if I could.  I’ve made many, many posts with similar comments in the past, but usually not put as well as your comment above.  

• Upvote 1

YES SIR ! …I can’t watch the game tonight because of previous plans …so I’m depending on you guys to give me a full report on how things look tonight …definitely reading your comments …GO MAGIC