Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

1 hour ago, Fire Weltham said:

Which still hasn’t translated to wins and we’ve had more injuries than any team in the league the past 2-3 seasons. So all of that means nothing if you aren’t winning basketball games and putting a competent product out on the floor that people are willing to watch play. How many lottery picks do we currently have on our team and yet we can’t even break 25 wins? That should tell you all you need to know…. I’m not denying we have some nice pieces but the way this FO is handling these injuries and all the secrecy behind it is laughable.  

Do u want to win 35 games this year

Or play it smart and take a bit longer and be fighting for championships over and over again

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Or play it smart and take a bit longer and be fighting for championships over and over again

My issue here is when does this mindset stop? We’re just running on a treadmill right now and not actually going anywhere. Now we’re getting to the point where we’ll have to make hard financial decisions on good players because we didn’t take advantage of their rookie or bargain deals.

15 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

My issue here is when does this mindset stop? We’re just running on a treadmill right now and not actually going anywhere. Now we’re getting to the point where we’ll have to make hard financial decisions on good players because we didn’t take advantage of their rookie or bargain deals.

Exactly you can’t go from being a bottom feeding team to competing for championships overnight. We need guys that can stay on the floor on a consistent basis. We also need to maximize our assets which means stop trading 2nd round picks especially before we even know who’s gonna be there and use our 2 way contracts on guys who actually have potential and can help us when we need them to. This FO is being overly patient and it’s stunting our growth as a team. 

And don't forget, all of that is happening after a long long evaluation time with the previous "mediocrity core"...

I get the building structurally concept, but it's a long time that I see in them (FO) a worrying lack of fantasy.

Both coaches they hired, and staff too, haven't really convinced me. What about having a great shooting coach and see that improvement? Engeland (the one that worked with Spurs and Leonard in particular) was available last summer.

1 hour ago, Jay Magic said:

This is absurd. Who says for sure if we tank again (and again) suddenly one day we have the right amount of talent and health to compete and become a championship team?

That's not how championship teams are built. This is not how sports work. There's no example of a team who tanked one year after another and then became a dinasty. In the real world you have to compete to grow and make progress as a team, and you have to build a winning culture step by step. 

55 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I agree with that. How many years our best players are going to wait to this process to get in a winner spot? In the end, the teams that compete win the ring. Point to me serial tanking teams that became dinastys if you think I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Gary Harris and WCJ are probable for tomorrow's game. Hopefully that calms people down a bit. 

if gary harris comes in making 40% from three then i will be happy. If he comes in and goes 0-5 or 1-5 from three i will not. And thats a low bar i said basically if he goes 2-5 im fine.

1 minute ago, Natesroom said:

if gary harris comes in making 40% from three then i will be happy. If he comes in and goes 0-5 or 1-5 from three i will not. And thats a low bar i said basically if he goes 2-5 im fine.

This is a weird stall to set out. It's his first game of the season there's every chance he'll be rusty but we know that he can be a great shooter as he showed last season and when he knocks the rust off there's no reason to believe he won't be the same player he was last season. It's a long term positive whether or not it's a positive immediately.

21 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Gary Harris and WCJ are probable for tomorrow's game. Hopefully that calms people down a bit. 

Just to add more injury updates, Paolo, Cole, Isaac, Fultz, and Moe didn’t travel with the team for the 3 game road trip.

5 hours ago, Fire Weltham said:

IThe odds of us getting the number 1 pick in consecutive years much less top 3 is slim to none I mean it’s the Magic we are talking about. When’s the last time we had any luck go our way? We need to be playing to win, we’ve been tanking for too many years and haven’t seen that translate to wins on the floor. If guys are available to play you put them out there it’s not rocket science. 

We've had a mix of good and bad in the past couple years. Bad luck - injuries and Toronto taking Scottie Barnes. Good luck - winning the #1 pick

5 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

Trading Vuch for Carter Jr, Wagner and another pick this year. By the way Chicago isn’t looking great so far. That pick looks really good today. 

I don't consider these as luck. Picking F Wagner last year was a great move by our F.O. (though I do wonder if we would have taken him if we had gotten Barnes instead of Suggs?), picking Banchero also seems to be a really good move (time will tell if it was the BEST pick). The trade of Vuch for Carter Jr, the pick that became F Wagner, and another 1st (top-4 protected) is turning out to be a really great move as well. I don't want Chicago to be too bad this year, as I would hate to see them jump into the Top-4 in the lottery and the pick move to 2024. I would rather see us get something in the 8-14 range with their pick! 

It is promising that Banchero and/or Gary Harris may be back for us in the next game, but disappointing that Fultz, M Wagner, and some of the other guys aren't close enough to coming back to travel with us on this 3 game road trip. 

5 hours ago, Fire Weltham said:

Which still hasn’t translated to wins and we’ve had more injuries than any team in the league the past 2-3 seasons. So all of that means nothing if you aren’t winning basketball games and putting a competent product out on the floor that people are willing to watch play. How many lottery picks do we currently have on our team and yet we can’t even break 25 wins? That should tell you all you need to know…. I’m not denying we have some nice pieces but the way this FO is handling these injuries and all the secrecy behind it is laughable.  

I get what your saying. I wanted us to trade for Mitchell during the summer.  That would have made this a play off year. I also hate sitting players who are healthy. I feel that the Chicago trade and selecting Banchero when most wanted Chet or Smith buys them another year or two. Also the Wagner pick was a home run.

If it was up to me now that we have a franchise player.  I would move some picks and players for an established star guard. At the same time though I am just a fan who hates seeing the product they put on the floor last night.  I get why they are taking the long view.  I just think the fire the front office stuff is extreme. 

6 hours ago, Fire Weltham said:

If this is seriously what this FO is doing then they shouldn’t be running this franchise. The odds of us getting the number 1 pick in consecutive years much less top 3 is slim to none I mean it’s the Magic we are talking about. When’s the last time we had any luck go our way? We need to be playing to win, we’ve been tanking for too many years and haven’t seen that translate to wins on the floor. If guys are available to play you put them out there it’s not rocket science. 

Especially this early in the season.  How do you develop your young talent if they’re constantly losing??