Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Cole is shooting over 40% from 3 post All Star Break. And up to 36% on the year. Hopefully he keeps this up next season.

Yeah, this version of Cole is probably in our starting backcourt alongside Markelle next year. I see them as a more athletic version of the Raptors FVV/Flop Lowry backcourt 

48 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, this version of Cole is probably in our starting backcourt alongside Markelle next year. I see them as a more athletic version of the Raptors FVV/Flop Lowry backcourt 

Cole would need to improve his defense to be FVV. But a slightly taller FVV was like my best case comp for him very early on so I hope he gets there. 

I think there's also a world where he's more of a 6th man type if his defense doesn't improve but honestly I'm ok with that and still think he's worth keeping around.

12 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Cole would need to improve his defense to be FVV. But a slightly taller FVV was like my best case comp for him very early on so I hope he gets there. 

I think there's also a world where he's more of a 6th man type if his defense doesn't improve but honestly I'm ok with that and still think he's worth keeping around.

Agreed. We’re in a position where we’ve locally drafted/grown the studs so we just need high quality role players. We need a consistent 2-guard that can step up and score to take some pressure off Paolo and Franz. Not sure who that is at the moment. We probably have the assets to go get Jaylen Brown, but I don’t think we need to demolish our depth for him when someone like Gary Trent Jr could be available in FA.

I think dream for Luka could be on boys. We have more assets to give up than probably anyone. Yes this is the antithesis of everything I said some months back about being patient and trusting the process. I just didn't expect Dallas to implode like this. I think once the Magic know their draft position, everything but Franz and Paolo should be on the table. Believe me... By that point they will have built it. And the rest will come

They could seriously trade Fultz, Isaac, both picks and maybe even one more guy and still probably be okay. That's not to say make that trade as much as to show that the Magic can afford A LOT

42 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Agreed. We’re in a position where we’ve locally drafted/grown the studs so we just need high quality role players. We need a consistent 2-guard that can step up and score to take some pressure off Paolo and Franz. Not sure who that is at the moment. We probably have the assets to go get Jaylen Brown, but I don’t think we need to demolish our depth for him when someone like Gary Trent Jr could be available in FA.

Understand I'm in the minority but I really think the 2-guard stuff is overblown if Franz/Paolo develop into legit All Stars and we keep Markelle (or replace him with an equally or more productive PG).

Most playoff teams, even most finals teams, have a starter who scores 10ppg or less. Gary Harris, or someone like him (i.e. a shooter who plays solid defense) would probably be more than fine for us to compete if we have some offense on the bench. 

That's not to say I'd be mad if we signed someone like Gary Trent because I think he'd be a solid addition and I'm very much of the belief that we need to use or lose our cap space sooner than later and we might as well add a long term piece while we can. Just that if we used that space on someone who wasn't a guard I'd also be ok with it (a good backup 5, a forward shooter to come off the bench etc).

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Cole is shooting over 40% from 3 post All Star Break. And up to 36% on the year. Hopefully he keeps this up next season.

Cole has literally done what we all wanted him to do. Come off the bench, improve his 3 point shot. He has been exactly what we expected him to be. Can't say they all turn out that way.

Also,  i wasn't a believer so i must eat some crow.

20 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Unfortunately the only way we were getting Bridges was if we somehow snuck in as a 3rd team in the Durant trade. Since the deal Mikal has proven himself as a superstar and I assume the Nets consider him untouchable.

Or we take back Ben Simmons and give Brooklyn some Picks. Something like Isaac, Harris our two 2023 Picks (maybe some more Picks) for Bridges and Simmons.

29 minutes ago, matthi32 said:

Or we take back Ben Simmons and give Brooklyn some Picks. Something like Isaac, Harris our two 2023 Picks (maybe some more Picks) for Bridges and Simmons.

I'd rather just keep Isaac if we're gonna have a guy who never plays. Trading Butler in order to build around Simmons will go down as one of the biggest mistakes in NBA history 

16 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Understand I'm in the minority but I really think the 2-guard stuff is overblown if Franz/Paolo develop into legit All Stars and we keep Markelle (or replace him with an equally or more productive PG).

Most playoff teams, even most finals teams, have a starter who scores 10ppg or less. Gary Harris, or someone like him (i.e. a shooter who plays solid defense) would probably be more than fine for us to compete if we have some offense on the bench.

I was with you even earlier with the Gary Harris thing, he could offer a good balance, sometimes he should be even considered more when he's in the corner waiting for a pass. It's the first season that he's finally quite healthy after a long run of problems, so next season he could be even better and be back to the player he was earlier.

The point for me is the Franz/Paolo thing. They're clearly the best talent we had in a long time, but at this point it's too early for me to say they'll be both superstars (or a superstar and a perennial all-star) that is what is needed if we want to be a contender. So, it's all a work in progress, we have to see how they develop, a lot of things could happen, but I hope that FO doesn't stay inactive in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

I've talked myself into thinking we should try and sign Cam Johnson as an RFA. He'd have to be willing to come off the bench which could be an obstacle but a high volume 3 point shooting forward would be a real nice piece to blend into this rotation. He's basically only a 4 but could get plenty of burn with Paolo at 5 in small lineups or Paolo at 3 in big lineups. 

And, I've said it a few times now on this board I think but if we don't use cap space soon it'll all get eaten up by extensions. He's probably the best shooter available this summer off the top of my head, not sure how Brooklyn will approach keeping him tbh they might not want to match for a big long term deal. I dunno probably won't happen just a thought. 

I’m curious to see how we play these last 3 games. We’ve showed what we’re capable of and have some nice momentum to ride into next season. Now that we’re mathematically eliminated from contention, we need to consider the guys we’re playing that have an injury history and the guys that have been playing pretty much nonstop basketball for a year. I wouldn’t mind it Wendell, Markelle and Franz all got to watch the last 3. If we lose all 3 we still probably wind up 6 in lotto odds, and most importantly, the last thing we need is a random catastrophic injury with so little left to play for.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’m curious to see how we play these last 3 games. We’ve showed what we’re capable of and have some nice momentum to ride into next season. Now that we’re mathematically eliminated from contention, we need to consider the guys we’re playing that have an injury history and the guys that have been playing pretty much nonstop basketball for a year. I wouldn’t mind it Wendell, Markelle and Franz all got to watch the last 3. If we lose all 3 we still probably wind up 6 in lotto odds, and most importantly, the last thing we need is a random catastrophic injury with so little left to play for.

Agree. Sit Paolo too. Basically let the fringe guys get big minutes. If Paolo blows an ACL in a meaningless game in April when we're mathematically eliminated it could dramatically change the course of his career, and our franchise, for nothing. That'd constitute organisational malpractice in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1