Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

12 hours ago, harryfromphilly said:

OK   so this is kind of an "IS THIS ANYTHING"

Its funny you mention Kelle in the game thread All Eyes. He was amazing in that third quarter.

But I have noticed something lately. Since we have been playing well, when the game seems in hand, they sit Kelle, and often do not bring him back at all in the 4th quarter.

However, mosley often plays cole and suggs to the bitter end.

Now... that could be taken one of two ways.

1) Kelle is important enough to the long term, that they dont want him to get hurt in "junk" minutes

2) or, they have identified cole and suggs as more important and are trying to give them as much experience as possible.

It seems odd to me that they are not having Kelle close out the games.

I dont know if this is anything, so.... I look forward to everyones thoughts.

7 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

In my opinion, none of the above. I think it's possible that the Magic are showcasing Cole and Suggs, using one or both as possible trade bait for bigger fish in the off season--like Fred Vanvleet. /just my 2 cents

I think it is partly their on-going evaluation, giving Cole and Suggs more time to develop better habits; but I'm equally sure they are showcasing them as well. You never know when the next star is going to either want out, or want to explore their options in free agency.

Thanks guys     i agree with the showcase part, but though he is further along than cole or jalen, markelle is far from a "perfect" product.

As someone commented, there is still a bit of the yips if he thinks too much, be that on a 3-pt or a free throw. ( btw  i think every magic player needs to improve

free throw shooting over the summer)

I just find it odd that unless there is a specific strategic reason, ie having suggs in for defense or cole because we need the greater shooting threat, that we are not having

markelle close out, in low pressure situations, to maybe help with those nervous tics.

There have obviously been some real ups and downs this season, but they’ve been a lot of fun to watch and I really don’t want it to end at this point (a huge departure from recent years.) I am excited to see where we draft and what potential wings we add to this core tho. 

• Upvote 1

Looking at next years squad

Under Contract - Fultz/GH/Franz/Paolo/WCJ/Cole/Suggs/Okeke/Goga/Bol/Houstan/Admiral/MCW/Scrubb/KH

So, our only current player not under contract next year is Big Wagner.

However:

Unguaranteed contracts - GH/Bol/Houstan

Not fully guaranteed contracts - Isaac/Fultz

Team options - Admiral/MCW

2 Way contracts - Scrubb/KH

We have 2 lotto picks coming, so I’d assume there is gonna be a little shakeup. I see Isaac, Bol, Admiral, Chuma and MCW being let go. We’ll see about Gary, there is some appeal to either dealing him before his contract becomes guaranteed or letting him go. Either way, next years team is going to look very similar to this years unless we opt for a big trade instead of adding 2 more lotto picks to this core. Most excited I've been as a fan in a long time.

The Issac situation is troubling and very sad both …dude was playing so well Zach Lowe commented that he looks his same menacing defensive disruptor as before .

Then in the lead up to his return FSN network was showing his entire G League games live  …treating him like a savior …I don’t understand the business part of the league as well as others but I for one still hope he can return and be productive …I don’t give up easily I sure know Jonathan won’t either .

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

The Issac situation is troubling and very sad both …dude was playing so well Zach Lowe commented that he looks his same menacing defensive disruptor as before .

Then in the lead up to his return FSN network was showing his entire G League games live  …treating him like a savior …I don’t understand the business part of the league as well as others but I for one still hope he can return and be productive …I don’t give up easily I sure know Jonathan won’t either .

At this point with JI, the harsh truth is that there’s a very real chance he’ll never play again. If he does, and he somehow re-finds his form while also remaining healthy, it almost certainly won’t be in Orlando. We can cut him this year, we can save $10 million off the cap hit for next year while voiding the last year of his deal.

If we were still rebuilding I’d agree with the patience approach, but we’re at the next step of the leap and we need that roster spot for someone who can stay on the court and contribute.

52 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

At this point with JI, the harsh truth is that there’s a very real chance he’ll never play again. If he does, and he somehow re-finds his form while also remaining healthy, it almost certainly won’t be in Orlando. We can cut him this year, we can save $10 million off the cap hit for next year while voiding the last year of his deal.

If we were still rebuilding I’d agree with the patience approach, but we’re at the next step of the leap and we need that roster spot for someone who can stay on the court and contribute.

I’m a big fan of JI’s game, but I just don’t see him having a productive career. I’m afraid he is in the same position as Greg Oden was years ago. The mind may be willing, but the body just doesn’t seem capable of the wear and tear. Whether they waive him before the free agency period or not until the January guarantee deadline may depend on what other players and plans the front office has. Waiving him and not exercising our options on G Harris, Schofield, MCW and Goga or Bol frees up almost $30M to shop for free agents. 

22 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

A propos of nothing, I think Mikal Bridges would be a sneaky good guy to target with our picks. Idk if he is in the Nets long term plans but he can shoot/score and would be a legitimate stopper on D

Unfortunately the only way we were getting Bridges was if we somehow snuck in as a 3rd team in the Durant trade. Since the deal Mikal has proven himself as a superstar and I assume the Nets consider him untouchable.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Unfortunately the only way we were getting Bridges was if we somehow snuck in as a 3rd team in the Durant trade. Since the deal Mikal has proven himself as a superstar and I assume the Nets consider him untouchable.

I doubt that was even possible, pretty sure that the Nets has him as a key asset to start the trade discussion.

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Cole is shooting over 40% from 3 post All Star Break. And up to 36% on the year. Hopefully he keeps this up next season.

I’ve always thought he had a nice lookin shot and his poor % was mostly due to bad shot selection. He’s been great in his role lately