Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

Yeah i only put Olynyk in there saying he will be traded. We obviously do not need another big. Guys like Rozier might be available much later in the year if the Hornets fail, as well as a few other Guards. Those guys will be available much closer to the deadline, i think Clarkson and Conley will be available before Christmas. I'm not starting calls for breaking up the team in the first week. What i am saying is the same problems we have now will probably still be the same problems in late January. The whole idea of running it back with Ross,Harris,Bamba and of course the big question marks of Fultz and Isaac, might have been destined to fail.

What i want and hope the team does is see what happens in November and if it's the same old story start moving people. Before other teams outhustle or outbid us. No waiting till the trade deadline if we have no point guards healthy, or no veterans contributing meaningful minutes. We always focus on the big moves like the Mitchell trade or who was getting Durant, but why do the good teams get the lowkey guys we can't even get. White and now Brogdon looked great in Boston....they were not expensive trades.

Simply put i know we have a couple studs with Wagner and Banchero, i don't think waiting till 2023 is the best strategy for those guys. Teams like the Pacers,Jazz,Spurs will 100% tank and have contracts they need to offload. 

Edit: some examples of the way teams think. 

Spurs and Pacers have too many guards and might take a chance on Bamba or like Isaacs expiring contract or upside. These players are proving to be useless to actually getting wins. I don't think Bamba will be controversial, but let's say it's late December and Isaac hasn't played it's time to trade him as an expiring. Combinations or Bamba,Isaac and Harris would be useful to the tanking teams with just enough upside and cap relief while not ruining their tanks.

I want the Magic to win more then 26 games this year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Same guys out as last night along with Suggs for the home opener

Well, that sucks. Could use a little miracle like maybe some Celtics get some rest?

Man, i had not looked at the Schedule since preseason but it looks pretty grim until mid November.

I've had all I can take of Bamba. It's not anything personal but he ain't it. We're not getting to the next level depending on him on a nightly basis. And if Isaac can't make it back in any reasonable amount of time, he needs to go too. I'm not saying give up on an elite defensive presence, I'm saying the waiting is literally becoming detrimental. That painful discussion of how sports devalues the human being comes into play here. And I wholeheartedly agree with how ****ty this sounds. 

But you cannot say there's been not every effort to make one player better or every effort to rehabilitate another. YEARS of patience has been shown.

Ok, I'm game:

Best offensive player will be? Banchero, and if he is not, we are back at the drawing board.

Best defensive player will be? Splashiest might be Suggs and I'd love it if he got attention and recognition for it, but effectiveness-wise, I fully expect Carter to anchor our operation on that end. I'd hope that they can be exceptional within the next couple of years. Doubt either of them are ever DPOY candidates but this should be the answer regardless. We all know it'll be JI if he has any sliver of a chance at being in the NBA in 10 years.

Team MVP will be? Not sure if this is in terms of play or culture, but if it's culture, I think Cole and Franz are the glue. Terms of play, Banchero is already the leader.

Record will be? I'm going to throw caution to the wind for the first time in a dozen years and say 31-51

Nice game by Ross, eventually these games will turn into wins. They played Kevon Harris a ton trying to slow down Tatum and Brown. He was a spark plug.I watched the game, we were lucky to be close with how hot they were from 3 the first half. I really don't know what to say, felt like it was inevitable they would take the lead.Wagner,Ross and Banchero made some plays in the second half but they were not stopping anyone much either. Kevon,WCJ and Cole tried really hard on defense but Tatum and White went nuclear. Smart is a pest, i can't stand him. Grant Williams is like shorter better shooting Gordon.

Quick note about another team. I was watching Denver highlights, i kind of adopted them as my western conference team. They somehow found 16 minutes for their rookie Christian Braun and he rewarded them with 3 of 4 from the arc and a block,Steal,2 assists. This was a close game with all their players,Bones,Murray,Porter they were not missing anyone. 

I get why Caleb never made it out there for us, coach had Chuma,Kevon,Bol Bol out there trying desperately to slow down Tatum.Just watch his minutes moving forward. 

17 hours ago, J Roc Baby said:

I've had all I can take of Bamba. It's not anything personal but he ain't it. We're not getting to the next level depending on him on a nightly basis. And if Isaac can't make it back in any reasonable amount of time, he needs to go too. I'm not saying give up on an elite defensive presence, I'm saying the waiting is literally becoming detrimental. That painful discussion of how sports devalues the human being comes into play here. And I wholeheartedly agree with how ****ty this sounds. 

But you cannot say there's been not every effort to make one player better or every effort to rehabilitate another. YEARS of patience has been shown.

Correct 

2 hours ago, Franchero MVP said:

I’m done with the current state of this team. Winning is obviously not a priority and appears never will be. 

That's a little bit unfair. The state of the team may be the best it's been in years. The problem is the mental approach. We're waiting for the same guys to get healthy like it's the second coming and the Magic have grown content to just accept that if they lose, they lose and they'll get their breakthrough. 

Every workplace has the dude who is always sick and doesn't make it in. The problem is the Magic are trying to build a culture that is there for the player no matter what but doesn't seem to understand that in that workplace, that dude NEVER gets better.

The team is absolutely going the right direction but at worst needs to make hard choices if this drags out several more months.