Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

9 hours ago, Natesroom said:

anyone??

As far as I'm aware they don't. Maybe if it was like to get a triple double or something they might, feel like I've heard of that happening before. 

15 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Paolo is 1 for his last 27 from distance and 28% for the year.  Fultz is at 30% and Suggs 31%.

this is what i feared he was and everyone was giving me grief when i was calling out his 3pt %, cause he then went on a great stretch where he was shooting like 40% and it lifted his % from 26% up to 32% back down now to 28%

44 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

this is what i feared he was and everyone was giving me grief when i was calling out his 3pt %, cause he then went on a great stretch where he was shooting like 40% and it lifted his % from 26% up to 32% back down now to 28%

He is still the rookie of the year by far. Zach Lowe went on a rant on his Pod Cast this week about people complaining about his efficiency when he talked about The Magic for a 5 minute stretch. He basically said that people who watch him play can see how he is obviously a future star. His ball handling, first step, free throw rate are very special. I still wouldn’t take anyone of the last three drafts ahead of him. I do think him and a Franz need this break. We forget how hard the grind of The NBA season is on young guys. I also think both will be much better next year as their bodies mature. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just checked in on my alternate lotto pick if we fell past number 3. Keegan Murray is having a good year in Sacramento. He isn't the future superstar like our boy Paolo but he is shooting 42% from 3 on 6 attempts a game! That is incredible for a rookie and shows how good a shooter can be when they get wide open shots from attention going to two other players. Those players are Sabonis and Fox.

Now because Keegan is shooting way better in his first year would i rather have  him?

Hell to the no. Paolo will get his shooting percentage up, great players do. Most forwards do not start out shooting well beyond the arc. Luka,PG,LeBron whoever, they all started with percentages around 30% the first few years. I would rather have Paolo because you can see he is a huge player who can handle the ball and has the footwork to get his own shot or pass to an open man. Those shots will fall.

If we all should have criticism it's that he operates away from the basket a little too much. That's on the coaching, some games he is just a perimeter player. Coach should tell him to get in there down low. Tell the players to slow it down and swing some passes until he is on the block. 

TL;DR it's the usual for guys like him to struggle with the 3 ball. Should force his best looks while the 3 develops naturally over the course of a few years.

Basketball is ruined by the obsession with the 3 ball.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Just checked in on my alternate lotto pick if we fell past number 3. Keegan Murray is having a good year in Sacramento. He isn't the future superstar like our boy Paolo but he is shooting 42% from 3 on 6 attempts a game! That is incredible for a rookie and shows how good a shooter can be when they get wide open shots from attention going to two other players. Those players are Sabonis and Fox.

Now because Keegan is shooting way better in his first year would i rather have  him?

Hell to the no. Paolo will get his shooting percentage up, great players do. Most forwards do not start out shooting well beyond the arc. Luka,PG,LeBron whoever, they all started with percentages around 30% the first few years. I would rather have Paolo because you can see he is a huge player who can handle the ball and has the footwork to get his own shot or pass to an open man. Those shots will fall.

If we all should have criticism it's that he operates away from the basket a little too much. That's on the coaching, some games he is just a perimeter player. Coach should tell him to get in there down low. Tell the players to slow it down and swing some passes until he is on the block. 

TL;DR it's the usual for guys like him to struggle with the 3 ball. Should force his best looks while the 3 develops naturally over the course of a few years.

Basketball is ruined by the obsession with the 3 ball.

Very well said, you get an upvote from me as this is exactly how I feel especially the part about the coaching staff needing to get him more touches down low. He would cause matchup problems in the post if he is guarded one on one and if they bring the double that leaves one of our guys open for an easy cut to the basket or open shot.  

Question …if Fultz is completely healthy …and we are seeing his growth now …both he and Banchero were number 1 picks .

If both guys were in the same draft and you had first pick …who would you take ?

For me it’s Fultz …just does so many things …even defensively is showing growth …and lately we’ve seen his explosiveness as an athlete .

And it’s opinion question …there are no wrong answers 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Question …if Fultz is completely healthy …and we are seeing his growth now …both he and Banchero were number 1 picks .

If both guys were in the same draft and you had first pick …who would you take ?

For me it’s Fultz …just does so many things …even defensively is showing growth …and lately we’ve seen his explosiveness as an athlete .

It depends whether the question is "when they were both prospects" or "given what we know now". Prospect Markelle clears prospect Paolo (although it's close, Paolo was a better prospect in hindsight than the hype and discourse warranted). Given what we know now it's Paolo and it's not even close to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It depends whether the question is "when they were both prospects" or "given what we know now". Prospect Markelle clears prospect Paolo (although it's close, Paolo was a better prospect in hindsight than the hype and discourse warranted). Given what we know now it's Paolo and it's not even close to me. 

This is a tough question actually. Based on the media hype and projections at the time, I agree that prospect-wise I would have chosen Markelle, especially since Paolo's hype and discourse actually under-valued him. Comparing "apples-to-apples" of Markelle's first year (2nd, 3rd, or 4th) vs. Paolo's first, it's Paolo all the way.

Now having said that, now we are (finally) seeing what a healthy Markelle brings. So I guess the fairest way of evaluating is would I trade one for the other? If I had Markelle now, and someone offered me Paolo in a straight trade, would I do it, not taking the money into account? The answer is maybe. It would probably come down to where the team development stage was - if we are ready to compete for a chip, no I keep Markelle; if we are 2-3 years out, I would probably take Paolo. I think Markelle is the more important player right now because of his play, and his affect on the rest of the team's play. I think Markelle still has upside left to develop, and I think he will reach his best sooner. I think Paolo has more upside remaining, but it may take him a little longer to "top out". I think he is more likely to reach his peak if he continues to play with Markelle, or a PG like him. 

I am just glad we don't have to make an either/or choice. With Kelle, Paolo, Franz, I think we have a good young core that will continue to grow and improve; I look forward to the next few years. Throw in a healthy JI, and our other young players continuing to develop, and the future is looking very bright indeed.