Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

54 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Did somebody nuke the draft thread? Or have I got issues viewing it?

I think it's fixed. I simply merged a new poster's post into the draft thread, and it seemed to freeze the system. Either way, it looks good now.

• Like 1

Out of Suggs, Fultz and Banchero …who will finish the year with the highest 3 point percentage ? …Here’s where they stand at the moment …

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/orl/table/game/sort/threePointPct/dir/desc
Having asked the question Suggs and Banchero shoot way more 3’s than Fultz …each take about 4 a game …Fultz about 1.5 

Harris has to shoot more 3's, other players should find him more often.

Bamba and Ross weren't clearly solutions long term, but losing them we lost even more ability beyond the arc.

30% for Fultz is acceptable, given his history. 40% for Isaac is great but small sample. Considering the "rule" that rookies should focus on improve mainly one thing every offseason, Paolo has two choices: 3pointers or defense?

On 3/11/2023 at 2:51 PM, CTMagicUK said:

All Star is one meaningless, low intensity game for a handful of players that comes with a week off.

A tournament would be several mid season games that would presumably have some reward or meaning assigned to them and would only add more games to the calendar. 

I don't know if you follow European basketball from UK, but almost every league has a tournament that includes the best teams of the first half of the season. All of them plays in a single location and the tournament last just a few days, usually thursday-sunday. That would not add a lot in the calendar, just changing the useless All-Star Game. Arena are usually filled with mixed fanbase that travels for those games and there's a lot of interest on it.

But I know that the NBA projects are different from those.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Out of Suggs, Fultz and Banchero …who will finish the year with the highest 3 point percentage ? …Here’s where they stand at the moment …

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/orl/table/game/sort/threePointPct/dir/desc
Having asked the question Suggs and Banchero shoot way more 3’s than Fultz …each take about 4 a game …Fultz about 1.5 

Out of the three I would say for his game it is most important for Suggs to become a better three point shooter.  Paulo will always be a good one on one player who draws double teams.  Therefore he will continue to generate a lot of open looks for Suggs in the corners.  I wish Fultz would develop it like he did in college as it’s his only obvious weakness holding him back.  If all three can get to 33% next year I would be very happy!

2 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Harris has to shoot more 3's, other players should find him more often.

Bamba and Ross weren't clearly solutions long term, but losing them we lost even more ability beyond the arc.

30% for Fultz is acceptable, given his history. 40% for Isaac is great but small sample. Considering the "rule" that rookies should focus on improve mainly one thing every offseason, Paolo has two choices: 3pointers or defense?

Paulo’s defense hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be. I think he is serviceable there and will improve with experience. He does need to get his 3 pt percentage up of course though.  Historically all players have their worst shooting year their first season as they get adjusted to The NBA.  There has never been a Magic rookie I am less worried about than Paulo Banchero other than Shaq.

LAbSYY.png           
  MAGIC UPDATE  -   Monday, March 13, 2023

• Magic's Franz Wagner: Uncertain to play Tuesday

Rotowire  5 HRS AGO

Wagner is listed as questionable for Tuesday against San Antonio with a right ankle sprain.

Wagner picked up the injury in Saturday's win over the Heat and was unable to return. Jalen Suggs has been trending up and could see an expanded role if Wagner is unable to play. The Magic should provide an update on Wagner's status following their morning shoot around Tuesday.

Magic's Caleb Houstan: Assigned to Lakeland  

Rotowire  - MAR 12, 2023   

The Magic assigned Houstan to the G League's Lakeland on Sunday.

Magic's Caleb Houstan: Hits five three-pointers Sunday

Rotowire  8 HRS AGO

Houstan recorded 17 points (6-11 FG, 5-10 3Pt), five rebounds, two assists and one block across 28 minutes during Sunday's 119-95 win over the Go-Go.

Houstan has bounced back and forth between the NBA and the G League several times over the last two months, but he ultimately came off the bench for Lakeland on Sunday and knocked down a game-high five shots from beyond the arc. The 20-year-old guard is currently averaging 16.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game across 11 appearances with the G League Magic.

8 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

I don't know if you follow European basketball from UK, but almost every league has a tournament that includes the best teams of the first half of the season. All of them plays in a single location and the tournament last just a few days, usually thursday-sunday. That would not add a lot in the calendar, just changing the useless All-Star Game. Arena are usually filled with mixed fanbase that travels for those games and there's a lot of interest on it.

But I know that the NBA projects are different from those.

Yeah. Usually called a cup and also quite popular in Football/Soccer.

I like the idea of the tournament to see who’s best in a 1 game series like March Madness. Just make the pointless regular season shorter. Win-win

21 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

Paulo’s defense hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be. I think he is serviceable there and will improve with experience. He does need to get his 3 pt percentage up of course though.  Historically all players have their worst shooting year their first season as they get adjusted to The NBA.  There has never been a Magic rookie I am less worried about than Paulo Banchero other than Shaq.

Maybe not absolutely terribile, but 115.4 def rat is still 404 out of 507 NBA players (with enough minutes played)

Cattura.JPG

6 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Maybe not absolutely terribile, but 115.4 def rat is still 404 out of 507 NBA players (with enough minutes played)

Cattura.JPG

He is second among rookies in defensive rating. Not saying he is great just not as bad as I feared when he was drafted.  He doesn’t do anything eye opening like block shots either. Zach Lowe talked about him not being a bad defender on a recent Pod Cast as well.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/best-defensive-rating-by-a-rookie-this-season

6 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Cattura.JPG

Jared Vanderbilt is 450ish in this stat and he's a terrific defensive player. It's not necessarily a great stand alone indicator of defensive ability. 

Sure, but that was in addiction to the eye test, and I've seen him disinterested in the def side too many times.

What's a good indicator in your opinion btw?