Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Or maybe Harris will get a contract after all.

Harris, in my opinion, will be long gone after we add a couple of 1sts on June 22...PLUS Mr. Suggs expected improvement offensively could see him in the starting lineup sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

My initial reaction was one of disappointment. I think K Harris would be a better conversion than Schofield, he strikes me as the more impactful player for us. If we convert both of them, that does open up the 2-way spots for some other G-League players; but I was initially thinking it sets up a lot of roster space issues for next year. And then I thought some more about it. 

If we assume that Schofield's and Bitadze's deals (and K Harris if they convert him) are probably not guaranteed for the 2023-24 season, but like we did with G Harris, Bol, and Bamba this year, guaranteed for this year and non-guaranteed/team option for next year; that leaves us with possibilities and potential cap room. 

Next year we have Anthony, Suggs, F Wagner, Houstan, Okeke, Banchero, and Carter on guaranteed contracts. Fultz is only guaranteed $2M, but our deadline on it is 7/1/23. Isaac is guaranteed $7.6M, but we have until 1/10/24 to make a "final" decision on him. Again, my assumption is we guarantee Fultz, and retain Isaac but hold off on guaranteeing until at least part way into next season, since we have the time. That fills nine (9) of our roster spaces. 

We have to make decisions on G Harris and Bol by the end of June, to either guarantee their contracts for next season, or let them walk as free agents. I expect we will probably retain both, as they represent reasonable assets. That brings us up to eleven (11) spots filled.

The next assumption is based on the fact that we currently have two, 1st round picks in the lottery from this draft. Those are guaranteed contracts, so we are now at thirteen (13) roster spots. If we make resigning Moe Wagner a priority (as I think we should), that brings us up to fourteen (14) spots filled for next year. 

That leaves only one roster spot to fill, and Schofield, Bitadze, and (possibly) K Harris with team options to fill it. We also would have (possibly) a 2nd round pick to compete for that spot as well. We would also have the 2-way slots to fill, though we could potentially already have an additional two players in those slots for the remainder of this season who would presumably be competing for the last roster spot, and for next year's 2-way slots. I'm pretty sure Schofield isn't eligible for a 2-way with us next year, and I'm not sure if Bitadze is or not. I also am not sure if K Harris would be if we convert him this year. 

All of that presumes you aren't trying to fill that "final" slot with an available free agent. Depending on what we resign M Wagner for (I'm assuming $3-3.5M), we could have somewhere around $16-17M under the cap for that slot. That is more than the mid-level and could get some interest from some decent, mid-level free agents. 

Of course, a trade or two could make all of this discussion moot, but that is part of the fun. 

The FO is making " cap " moves....something is being planned....anyone has Jeff or John's ph #?

1 hour ago, Albert Lergier said:

RJ at only at only 22 should have a nice and productive career....I'll be rooting for him !!!

AND who is RJ first game versus ???  None other than the Magic....LOL !!!

5 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

The FO is making " cap " moves....something is being planned....anyone has Jeff or John's ph #?

Nothing we did yesterday has any meaningful cap implication. 

10 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

My initial reaction was one of disappointment. I think K Harris would be a better conversion than Schofield, he strikes me as the more impactful player for us. If we convert both of them, that does open up the 2-way spots for some other G-League players; but I was initially thinking it sets up a lot of roster space issues for next year. And then I thought some more about it. 

If we assume that Schofield's and Bitadze's deals (and K Harris if they convert him) are probably not guaranteed for the 2023-24 season, but like we did with G Harris, Bol, and Bamba this year, guaranteed for this year and non-guaranteed/team option for next year; that leaves us with possibilities and potential cap room. 

Next year we have Anthony, Suggs, F Wagner, Houstan, Okeke, Banchero, and Carter on guaranteed contracts. Fultz is only guaranteed $2M, but our deadline on it is 7/1/23. Isaac is guaranteed $7.6M, but we have until 1/10/24 to make a "final" decision on him. Again, my assumption is we guarantee Fultz, and retain Isaac but hold off on guaranteeing until at least part way into next season, since we have the time. That fills nine (9) of our roster spaces. 

We have to make decisions on G Harris and Bol by the end of June, to either guarantee their contracts for next season, or let them walk as free agents. I expect we will probably retain both, as they represent reasonable assets. That brings us up to eleven (11) spots filled.

The next assumption is based on the fact that we currently have two, 1st round picks in the lottery from this draft. Those are guaranteed contracts, so we are now at thirteen (13) roster spots. If we make resigning Moe Wagner a priority (as I think we should), that brings us up to fourteen (14) spots filled for next year. 

That leaves only one roster spot to fill, and Schofield, Bitadze, and (possibly) K Harris with team options to fill it. We also would have (possibly) a 2nd round pick to compete for that spot as well. We would also have the 2-way slots to fill, though we could potentially already have an additional two players in those slots for the remainder of this season who would presumably be competing for the last roster spot, and for next year's 2-way slots. I'm pretty sure Schofield isn't eligible for a 2-way with us next year, and I'm not sure if Bitadze is or not. I also am not sure if K Harris would be if we convert him this year. 

All of that presumes you aren't trying to fill that "final" slot with an available free agent. Depending on what we resign M Wagner for (I'm assuming $3-3.5M), we could have somewhere around $16-17M under the cap for that slot. That is more than the mid-level and could get some interest from some decent, mid-level free agents. 

Of course, a trade or two could make all of this discussion moot, but that is part of the fun. 

Yea it's interesting. The thing is we can take 18 contracts into camp so it's not an immediate worry. 

I expect Schofield got the "thanks for being a solid vet 2 way guy" payout the same way Cannady did, he'll play in camp and then probably go abroad or back to the G league but make real NBA minimum money in the mean time rather than the 2 way salary. 

I think we probably have to make a trade in the summer to make it work. The 14 guys you listed as set would all need minutes and that's just a ludicrous situation to be in. 

Im expecting we guarantee Harris but then potentially we move him to free up guard minutes and a roster spot (provided we get no player back in return).

Part of why I think we're primed for a trade is that it's so hard to imagine we go into the season without making one.

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea it's interesting. The thing is we can take 18 contracts into camp so it's not an immediate worry. 

I expect Schofield got the "thanks for being a solid vet 2 way guy" payout the same way Cannady did, he'll play in camp and then probably go abroad or back to the G league but make real NBA minimum money in the mean time rather than the 2 way salary. 

I think we probably have to make a trade in the summer to make it work. The 14 guys you listed as set would all need minutes and that's just a ludicrous situation to be in. 

Im expecting we guarantee Harris but then potentially we move him to free up guard minutes and a roster spot (provided we get no player back in return).

Part of why I think we're primed for a trade is that it's so hard to imagine we go into the season without making one.

I would tend to agree with you. I wouldn't even be surprised to see us guarantee G Harris and then package him with someone else in a 2 for 1 trade or maybe a late 1st. 

8 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Cutting Bamba, T Ross and RJ combined, is something meaningful.....

All those guys would have been off the books in the summer anyway. 

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I hope we keep G. Harris. He's the perfect vet, even off the bench. Keep in mind we also just dumped Ross and Hampton, two guards.

I like Gary. But neither Ross nor Hampton were getting any minutes. The guard rotations are essentially made up of Fultz, Cole, Suggs, Harris and Franz SG minutes.

Likewise the forward rotations are Franz, G Harris SF mins, Paolo, Isaac, Bol, Houstan. 

We're about to add potentially 2 lottery picks, it seems likely at least one of them will be a guard or a wing, it's possible they both could be. Where are they going to play? I don't have a problem with them coming off the bench but I do have a problem with them not getting minutes at all.

It might not be Gary that goes. But I can't imagine a world where we go into next season with essentially this roster + 2 lottery picks. That's just too many guys who need/deserve minutes.