Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

On 1/15/2023 at 9:36 AM, ball junkie said:

Orlando Magic

orl.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Front-office discussions: What is the trade value of Terrence Ross' expiring contract? Do we hold on to RJ Hampton despite not picking up his fourth-year team option? What is the injury timeline of Jonathan Isaac and does he have value? Is Markelle Fultz or Cole Anthony the best fit long term at point guard?

Off the boardPaolo Banchero ($11.1M, RFA 2027)

Players with trade value: Ross ($11.5M, UFA 2023), Hampton ($2.4M, UFA) and Gary Harris($13M, UFA 2024)

Free agents in July: Ross, Hampton and Moritz Wagner ($1.9M, UFA)

Controllable contracts: Fultz ($16.5M, UFA 2024), Isaac ($17.4M, UFA 2025), Mo Bamba($10.3M, UFA 2024), Jalen Suggs ($6.9M, RFA 2025), Franz Wagner ($5.3M, RFA 2025), Anthony ($3.6M, RFA 2024), Chuma Okeke($3.4M, RFA 2024), Bol Bol ($2.2M, UFA 2024) and Caleb Houstan ($2M, team 2025)

Draft capital: The Magic have their own first-round picks over the next seven years. They have a top-4-protected first from Chicago in 2023. The pick is top-3 protected in 2024 if not conveyed. If the Nuggets send Charlotte a 2023 first, then Orlando will receive a 2025 top-5-protected first from Denver. The pick is top-5 protected in 2026 and 2027. The Magic have 13 second-round picks available to trade.

The finances: The Magic are at the salary cap this season. They have $110M in salary next year. However, $50M is not guaranteed.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/35259426/2023-nba-trade-deadline-big-questions-targets-draft-capital-every-team

The Magic have 13 second-round picks available to trade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTMagic....tell me about this? Positive for sure, I'd think. Elaborate from your perspective, knowledge of past and future drafts. Thanks !!!!

1 hour ago, Albert Lergier said:

The Magic have 13 second-round picks available to trade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTMagic....tell me about this? Positive for sure, I'd think. Elaborate from your perspective, knowledge of past and future drafts. Thanks !!!!

What can I possibly tell you about? We have 13 second round picks to trade? That's it. That's the whole thing. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 9:15 PM, JJZFL said:

Good game to turn off at the half

On 1/15/2023 at 9:23 PM, All Eyes On Me said:

I know it’s your thing to react in extremes, but these kids have earned a chance to try to come back. They’ve been cardiac kids all year, especially compared to what the culture used to be

Given that we allowed 69 in the first half, were down 15 to one of the best teams in the league, playing the last game of a long road trip, and at high altitude, I truly expected for us to be blown out in the second half.  Kudos to the team for proving me wrong, which I’m happy to acknowledge.

On a different subject, thus current break is the third interruption of four or more days in the schedule just since Xmas a few weeks ago.  I don’t recall seeing that many long stretches of no games in previous years.  

So I haven't checked this myself but apparently in the span since Wendell returned from injury the Magic have the 2nd best starting lineup in the league but also have the 4th worst bench. By net rating. 

Improve the bench in the summer (or at the deadline if we can do so without messing up any long term flexibility) and we're going to the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

So I haven't checked this myself but apparently in the span since Wendell returned from injury the Magic have the 2nd best starting lineup in the league but also have the 4th worst bench. By net rating. 

Improve the bench in the summer (or at the deadline if we can do so without messing up any long term flexibility) and we're going to the playoffs. 

Interestingly, during our recent streak where we won 8 out of 9, it was the reverse.  Starting lineup was a net negative but the bench was great.  

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

What can I possibly tell you about? We have 13 second round picks to trade? That's it. That's the whole thing. 

I’m surprised it’s not 31 instead of 13, the way we keep picking them up and never use them and just kick the can down the road. Useless scouting. 

4 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I’m surprised it’s not 31 instead of 13, the way we keep picking them up and never use them and just kick the can down the road. Useless scouting. 

We just used 1 

16 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Told you that this starting lineup was possibly going to be more complete on both def and att.

As for the 13 second round picks, we could continue to trade them for future ones until the world ends! :D

One day I might type up an essay length post about how I think future 2nd round picks are much better assets than almost any player you can reasonably expect to select in the second round and trading them into the future is a great way to preserve assets for when you want to make moves to win now. 

But today is not that day (nor is that day anytime soon lol)

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

Told you that this starting lineup was possibly going to be more complete on both def and att.

As for the 13 second round picks, we could continue to trade them for future ones until the world ends! :D

Obviously the FO has been piling these 2nd's to trade some and to use some....we just shall see what they are able to get. 

The 1st opportunity will be soon....trade deadline is Feb 9.