Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

19 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

So basically the high point of our year will be that 2 game win streak we had in November.

The tankers will be thrilled 

I’ll say this …when I’m watching the games the fans have been very supportive …you can tell they are itching to win again …when they start fighting and competing they get totally behind the team .

Having said that if management chooses to throw out the crazy lineups, continue with the bizarre injury status of players when they seemingly are healthy and want to play …this according to T Ross …and we continue with the losing I can see disinterest setting in rather quickly .

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ball junkie said:

I’ll say this …when I’m watching the games the fans have been very supportive …you can tell they are itching to win again …when they start fighting and competing they get totally behind the team .

Having said that if management chooses to throw out the crazy lineups, continue with the bizarre injury status of players when they seemingly are healthy and want to play …this according to T Ross …and we continue with the losing I can see disinterest setting in rather quickly .

I have 0 interest in a tanking team (intentionally, that is).

I have full interest in a team that is out there competing as hard as they can, regardless of if that's 20 wins or 70.

Right now, I have a fairly high interest in the team because, even tho they are losing nearly night in and night out, there are young players with a lot of potential who are certainly working their a's off to compete as hard as they can.

I do have a bit of a hit to my interest because of signs of possible tanking, the things that you pointed out. But then when I see Cole and Fultz immediately off of minutes restrictions, and the minutes that guys like Franz and Banchero get, it makes me think that perhaps we aren't (intentionally) tanking, and the team just isn't ready yet (due to young, undeveloped talent and injury bad luck).

20 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

I have 0 interest in a tanking team (intentionally, that is).

I have full interest in a team that is out there competing as hard as they can, regardless of if that's 20 wins or 70.

Right now, I have a fairly high interest in the team because, even tho they are losing nearly night in and night out, there are young players with a lot of potential who are certainly working their a's off to compete as hard as they can.

I do have a bit of a hit to my interest because of signs of possible tanking, the things that you pointed out. But then when I see Cole and Fultz immediately off of minutes restrictions, and the minutes that guys like Franz and Banchero get, it makes me think that perhaps we aren't (intentionally) tanking, and the team just isn't ready yet (due to young, undeveloped talent and injury bad luck).

It's probably a mix of both things, clearly we couldn't be ready being that young, and at the same time we're overcautious with injuries and playing some weird lineups (that I really hope are not the real philosophy of the coach)

Still, I'm not sure they're competing as hard as they can in every match, I've seen that mindset in a few games, but also a lot of lackluster performances. That's another worrying situation IMO, losing and lack of leadership doesn't help perform at 100% every night either.

As for the previous Isaac discussion, when he was healthy, he was that kind of players that makes everyone better, even without putting up big numbers. His defensive ability would be surely needed in our big rotations. As other members wrote, we have no idea of what he'll able to do once he's back (hopefully soon). He also had a ton of time to try to improve one of his weakness, shooting, so if one day he'll be completely healthy and able to sustain for months and months, he could become a even better player that the one he was. But that's a big IF for a player unavailable for years.

We haven't talked about this in a while, but the Banchero vs. JSJ conversation is looking to be closer as JSJ gets more comfortable with NBA offenses. Look at his last 10 games.

JSJ

10 31.3 47.3 43.9 82.6 7.0 0.6 0.8 0.3 2.8 1.3 15.4

Banchero

8 34.5 42.1 20.8 72.0 4.5 3.8 0.1 1.0 2.0 2.8 19.4

Banchero is clearly a better offensive initiator, but JSJ is becoming the shooter we all thought he would become as Banchero continues to struggle from deep. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

We haven't talked about this in a while, but the Banchero vs. JSJ conversation is looking to be closer as JSJ gets more comfortable with NBA offenses. Look at his last 10 games.

JSJ

10 31.3 47.3 43.9 82.6 7.0 0.6 0.8 0.3 2.8 1.3 15.4

Banchero

8 34.5 42.1 20.8 72.0 4.5 3.8 0.1 1.0 2.0 2.8 19.4

Banchero is clearly a better offensive initiator, but JSJ is becoming the shooter we all thought he would become as Banchero continues to struggle from deep. 

Nobody really doubted he'd be a great shooter from 3. 

110Cv8.jpg        HEADS UP - MAGIC FANS!

~FRIDAY NIGHT~

RAPTORS AT MAGIC 

Friday, December 9th at 7:00 P.M., EST
Amway Center - Orlando, FL
TV:  Bally Sports FL

BE HERE. Don't Leave Us Hanging!  :)
I have prepared a game thread starter for tonight's game--if interested.

Really interesting find. This comes from the FiveThirtyEight.com (ESPN Insider) team. Who does Franz compare most to in his NBA projections? … Jason Tatum. That’s really encouraging, right? Moreover, they call him a future all-star with a current market value of 5 years/134 million. Meanwhile, FiveThirtyEight statistically comps Paulo to Anthony Edwards and say he has a market value of 5 years/90 million. Good stuff right there. We have two huge building blocks.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Really interesting find. This comes from the FiveThirtyEight.com (ESPN Insider) team. Who does Franz compare most to in his NBA projections? … Jason Tatum. That’s really encouraging, right? Moreover, they call him a future all-star with a current market value of 5 years/134 million. Meanwhile, FiveThirtyEight statistically comps Paulo to Anthony Edwards and say he has a market value of 5 years/90 million. Good stuff right there. We have two huge building blocks.

I think for the Magic, it's about finding the role players around those two. You have to have people willing to accept their role though. I think WCJ has a future here.
TBD on Suggs and Fultz (I think both bring A LOT to the table, but I'm concerned about pairing both non-shooters with Banchero/Franz).

I think Bol Bol and Cole are up in the air. Bol Bol is a mismatch nightmare on offense as a scorer but doesn't bring much else to the table other than hustle (not a great rebounder or passer or high Bball IQ). Cole wants to be the hero and I dont know if it's out of misplaced hubris or fear. Either way, both I don't see meshing unless they accept a role player roll, which I don't think either wants. Ball movement goes to die with both of them, and that doesn't breed winning. 

Meanwhile, I think Mo Wagner is a GREAT glue guy you keep on. Hard worker, good rebounder, and doesn't need the ball in his hands to make a difference and be satisfied. You want more guys like that. Put a Dennis Scott or Steve Kerr 3 point shooter with high IQ on this team and we have a bright future. 

13 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think for the Magic, it's about finding the role players around those two. You have to have people willing to accept their role though. I think WCJ has a future here.
TBD on Suggs and Fultz (I think both bring A LOT to the table, but I'm concerned about pairing both non-shooters with Banchero/Franz).

I think Bol Bol and Cole are up in the air. Bol Bol is a mismatch nightmare on offense as a scorer but doesn't bring much else to the table other than hustle (not a great rebounder or passer or high Bball IQ). Cole wants to be the hero and I dont know if it's out of misplaced hubris or fear. Either way, both I don't see meshing unless they accept a role player roll, which I don't think either wants. Ball movement goes to die with both of them, and that doesn't breed winning. 

Meanwhile, I think Mo Wagner is a GREAT glue guy you keep on. Hard worker, good rebounder, and doesn't need the ball in his hands to make a difference and be satisfied. You want more guys like that. Put a Dennis Scott or Steve Kerr 3 point shooter with high IQ on this team and we have a bright future. 

Bol Bol for me is like the perfect 7th man forward off the bench to just get buckets on a team who can't handle the mismatch he causes. 

11 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I think a real comp for Paolo is Carmelo Anthony