Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

Our next 10 games against teams with winning records …by Christmas we’ll know which way this season is headed .

Right now we’re a half game out of last in the league …I don’t like it …franchise is not sustainable with perpetual tanking.

Edit: unless we get Victor or Scoot lol

9 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Our next 10 games against teams with winning records …by Christmas we’ll know which way this season is headed .

Right now we’re a half game out of last in the league …I don’t like it …franchise is not sustainable with perpetual tanking.

Naw, this too shall pass but so too will the front office and coaching staff. If the Magic by some miracle win the Wemby sweepstakes the only people who are gonna be left over are the folks who work in the arena and like half our roster. 

Of all the jobs to do this would be one I never take. This office and coaching staff is here for the tank only and they'll never be seen again while someone else goes out and wins

43 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

No, Victor or Scoot do not make tanking a sustainable or viable strategy.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

No, Victor or Scoot do not make tanking a sustainable or viable strategy.

Are there any knockdown shooters in the draft that will probably be available in the PG, SG or SF postion that we should be drafting? I dont follow much college so i am not familiar with the massive amount of players. As much as i like chuma, i feel we should package Chuma, Bamba and possibly Cole, for legit shooters in those three positions i listed and then draft a backup. 

Any targets for trade possibilities?

We could wait for the offseason and go after Lebron or kyrie outright, but im not sure what that would do to our team.

WCJ, Paolo, Franz, Bron and Fultz??

WCJ, Paolo, Franz, Kyrie, Fultz?

I think there wouldnt be enough balls to go around. Id be more excited for a Redick, Duncan, Korver type player.

7 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Fultz is the PG we need

We need to all relax..

It's year 3 of proper rebuild 

Next season is the year we kick on and start to compete for championships 

I recall you saying over the summer how great we would be this year.  And also a more recent prediction for 50 wins this season.  

3 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I recall you saying over the summer how great we would be this year.  And also a more recent prediction for 50 wins this season.  

Lol I think you got him JJZFL …was he the guy you were making online bets with lol ?

10 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Lol I think you got him JJZFL …was he the guy you were making online bets with lol ?

He never got back to me to finalize, luckily for him.  

23 hours ago, Natesroom said:

Are there any knockdown shooters in the draft that will probably be available in the PG, SG or SF postion that we should be drafting? I dont follow much college so i am not familiar with the massive amount of players. As much as i like chuma, i feel we should package Chuma, Bamba and possibly Cole, for legit shooters in those three positions i listed and then draft a backup. 

Any targets for trade possibilities?

We could wait for the offseason and go after Lebron or kyrie outright, but im not sure what that would do to our team.

WCJ, Paolo, Franz, Bron and Fultz??

WCJ, Paolo, Franz, Kyrie, Fultz?

I think there wouldnt be enough balls to go around. Id be more excited for a Redick, Duncan, Korver type player.

I don't follow college much either, so I'm not the guy to talk to about prospects. My commentary about Vic or Scoot is less about them as players, and more about the philosophy of tanking. There's a significant segment of sports fanbases, particularly in the NBA, and the Magic fanbase is an active part of that at present, that holds tanking in high regard as the premiere philosophy for rebuilding a team from bad to champions. But it is simply not a viable strategy. You are undermining your own franchise to roll the dice hoping that 1. you get the pick to get the guy you want and 2. the guy you want is actually going to be a franchise altering player, and not a bust. Then you factor in that throughout literally my entire life (I am going on 40 years old), the tanking strategy actually works very close to 0% of the time. Players who get picked with one of those tank-for picks don't win championships with the team that drafted them, if they even do go on to become championship level players. The greatest player of a generation, LeBron James, did not win a championship with the team that drafted him. He won with teams he signed on with as a free agent. The very few exceptions to the rule are Tim Duncan and Kyrie Irving, both who had different circumstances that led to their success, like a returning David Robinson to pair with Duncan, or Irving getting LeBron James signed as a teammate who then brought Kevin Love with him. Kyrie never did anything with Cleveland on his own. Even our own Shaquille O'Neal and Dwight Howard had exceptions, with Orlando getting 2 back to back #1 overalls to boost the talent around Shaq (and Horace Grant wanting to play here), or getting additional first rounders (Jameer) and free agents (Hedo Turkoglu) to put around Dwight right off the bat.

The players who do win championships with their teams are not drafted in the top picks that teams tank for. Dirk, Steph, Giannis, Kobe, and the list goes on and on, are all players that were drafted later on, lower in the lottery or non-lottery altogether. This is because, as has started to become pointed out around here, teams have to take the steps to get to championship contender. They don't just go from nothing to winners, they have to go through the stages of mediocrity, average, good, first. When you're tanking for picks, you are getting rid of any semblance of talent that could be used to help you take those steps, and then when you do get that player in the draft (if they are that player) there is nothing around them to work with, and by the time you're able to start building up that surrounding talent, that player has left to move on to a better situation because now you've established a losing culture.

Tanking doesn't work. The poster child for tanking success in recent years has been Philadelphia, who hasn't even once gotten out of the Eastern Conference, and is now starting to show signs of being on the other side of their window. If the biggest example of tanking success you can point to is a team that's didn't even win a conference title, then I think the philosophy is a failed one.

If we are intentionally holding out guys who can play but saying they are still injured, when they should be on the court developing and improving, then this front office is establishing a losing culture for a philosophy that has a nearly 0% track record, stunting the development of the young talent we do have, and ensuring that we end up in the same spot once again as soon as all our young talent leaves for better situations because they don't want to be stuck in this black hole of an organization.

That's a big "IF" tho, because I'm not yet 100% convinced that's what's happening. I currently think it's just a combination of things, from our players being too young and raw and needing time to develop and play smarter, learning how to win, to legitimate injuries to guys like Wendell Carter, to likely having a coach that is a stop gap coach and not the guy that we need to actually have success in terms of wins. But I know there's some rumblings right now, especially with some recent tweets from players, so I'm addressing that context.

19 hours ago, JJZFL said:

50 wins? Someone actually suggested 50 wins?

I thought I had a pretty overly optimistic expectation when I suggested this team could possibly win close to 40 and compete for the play in tourney. I felt that was the high end for this year.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, ball junkie said:

Right now...."YOUR" Orlando Magic Team has the worst record in the league after 22 played. The Pistons defeated the Mavs last night.

Watch as much as you can handle....