Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

I tend to agree in general with the idea that Franz + Paolo are good enough that we'll be able to live with PGs who don't need the ball and just shoot, play defense and run the odd pick and roll. 

2 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

6. The Orlando Magic's guard play

Maybe Wagner and Banchero -- especially Banchero -- are so good the Magic can invest resources in defense and spot-up shooting. But my hunch is they will need a stud guard.

Zach Lowe sees the same things we all do.  

Stud guard ? I know one in Portland right now that is 15 games into his professional career …has no college experience but is growing by leaps and bounds every game …is being groomed to take over for a future Hall of Famer …is leading all rookies in shooting percentage with an unreal 51 percent from 3 and 55 percent from the field …facilitates offense very well …is not a ball hog in fact quite the opposite …has highlight plays practically every night …now has his ppg up to double digits at 10 …is being compared daily to some NBA greats …still early but the results look very promising .

And the Magic could have had him easily if they would have so chosen …Shaedon Sharpe …I know some of you guys don’t wanna hear it but that’s how I see it .

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I tend to agree in general with the idea that Franz + Paolo are good enough that we'll be able to live with PGs who don't need the ball and just shoot, play defense and run the odd pick and roll. 

Especially shoot the 3 is a must at this point. Fultz is a weird fit right now. We need him as hell cause our PG situation is terrible. But at the same time he needs the ball as Lowe explain, so we're going to have faith in him or in Wagner/Banchero handling it?

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Stud guard ? I know one in Portland right now that is 15 games into his professional career …has no college experience but is growing by leaps and bounds every game …is being groomed to take over for a future Hall of Famer …is leading all rookies in shooting percentage with an unreal 51 percent from 3 and 55 percent from the field …facilitates offense very well …is not a ball hog in fact quite the opposite …has highlight plays practically every night …now has his ppg up to double digits at 10 …is being compared daily to some NBA greats …still early but the results look very promising .

And the Magic could have had him easily if they would have so chosen …Shaedon Sharpe …I know some of you guys don’t wanna hear it but that’s how I see it .

I would have traded our 23 1st unprotected and whatever else they wanted for that pick! Imagine if we got Paulo and Sharpe?

1 hour ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I would have traded our 23 1st unprotected and whatever else they wanted for that pick! Imagine if we got Paulo and Sharpe?

Both of them would have been put on injured reserve 5 games in to make sure we’re tanking again this year - that’s how I imagine that going down. 

All joking aside, if Banchero has a Mamba mentality, I imagine if he’s healthy that he’s beginning to harbor resentment to our management. If you’re a competitor, you want to play. It’s just wild to me that we have so many players out whom seem to indicate they’re ready to go. You start planting seeds you aren’t a serious organization about winning… culture NEEDS to change. 

6 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

All joking aside, if Banchero has a Mamba mentality, I imagine if he’s healthy that he’s beginning to harbor resentment to our management. If you’re a competitor, you want to play. It’s just wild to me that we have so many players out whom seem to indicate they’re ready to go. You start planting seeds you aren’t a serious organization about winning… culture NEEDS to change. 

Except there's legitimately no indication this is the case. This is wild conjecture. Paolo himself (not the team) has told Khobi Price he's about a week to a week and a half away from being healthy. 

11 hours ago, ball junkie said:

The only way they could have had him easily is if they picked him #1 and if you'd rather have Sharpe than Paolo you have not been paying attention. 

Interested how you got to "facilitates offense very well" he's got an AST% of 2.8%. The Magic are 26th in the league in assists and not a single player on our roster has an AST% as low as that.

Sharpe has played very well, much better than I expected, but he's predominantly a play finisher surrounded by a playoff team. He's 7th on the team in USG%, and he's scoring 10ppg. There's very little evidence to suggest he's the type of player that would help with the problems the Magic have. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The only way they could have had him easily is if they picked him #1 and if you'd rather have Sharpe than Paolo you have not been paying attention. 

Interested how you got to "facilitates offense very well" he's got an AST% of 2.8%. The Magic are 26th in the league in assists and not a single player on our roster has an AST% as low as that.

Sharpe has played very well, much better than I expected, but he's predominantly a play finisher surrounded by a playoff team. He's 7th on the team in USG%, and he's scoring 10ppg. There's very little evidence to suggest he's the type of player that would help with the problems the Magic have. 

I would have taken him number 1 but I completely understand why he slid …Sharpe has 2 ball dominant players in front of him …hence the low usage rate …by facilitate I mean he doesn’t shoot every time he gets it though Portland fans would tell you they want him shooting a lot more …he plays a team game …often looking for others for better shot opportunities but not necessarily ending in an assist …as the kid progresses you will see his assist rate greatly improve …Banchero will get shots and minutes and can score and will win Rookie of the year …but Sharpe doesn’t get that and that’s ok …he’s not ready to be the focus …yet …Portland fans know he is the future .

I salivated and still do thinking of a fully loaded Magic team with Sharpe …growing together right now …but that included Issac and Fultz and unfortunately we as Magic fans know that ain’t happening …but with Fultz playing he is ball dominant taking those duties off of Sharpe ..we have such a logjam of bigs that I lamented all summer …watching Franz throw those alleyoops to Carter gets me goose bumps think of him playing with Shaedon …he’s just a better shooter than Paolo from deep …and as you know and everybody else knows that’s our Achilles heal …I’ll leave you with this 

47 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I would have taken him number 1 but I completely understand why he slid …Sharpe has 2 ball dominant players in front of him …hence the low usage rate …by facilitate I mean he doesn’t shoot every time he gets it though Portland fans would tell you they want him shooting a lot more …he plays a team game …often looking for others for better shot opportunities but not necessarily ending in an assist …as the kid progresses you will see his assist rate greatly improve …Banchero will get shots and minutes and can score and will win Rookie of the year …but Sharpe doesn’t get that and that’s ok …he’s not ready to be the focus …yet …Portland fans know he is the future .

I salivated and still do thinking of a fully loaded Magic team with Sharpe …growing together right now …but that included Issac and Fultz and unfortunately we as Magic fans know that ain’t happening …but with Fultz playing he is ball dominant taking those duties off of Sharpe ..we have such a logjam of bigs that I lamented all summer …watching Franz throw those alleyoops to Carter gets me goose bumps think of him playing with Shaedon …he’s just a better shooter than Paolo from deep …and as you know and everybody else knows that’s our Achilles heal …I’ll leave you with this 

Strong candidate for ROY.

OMG shut up about Sharpe. Go to the rookie thread. Yes he might turn into a star someday. Could not take a chance with someone with so little tape with the number one pick.

Wish we had two top picks but we didn't. Paolo was the right pick. I really love Mathurin and think he would be a great fit for our team but i'm not putting in all this effort to showcase him.

Big men superstars win championships. MJ and Steph Curry altered that fact a little because they were truly one of a kind players.

Paolo is our man.

• Upvote 5