Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

There probably isn’t enough information currently to answer this, but what do you guys think we do with Markelle? Only $2 million of his $17 million is guaranteed next season, and while I love how he plays, he’s missed 3/4 of the season every year he’s been in the league, outside of his first season with us where he played 72 of 82.

At this point he’s getting a free pass compared to JI but he’s only played 26 games in the past 2.5 years. I honestly don’t know what to do with him.

In spite of the injuries and lack of PG play we have been in all of our games. Unlike previous seasons, these guys don't give up and we've come back many times from large deficits. IMO the future looks very bright for this team.

32 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

There probably isn’t enough information currently to answer this, but what do you guys think we do with Markelle? Only $2 million of his $17 million is guaranteed next season, and while I love how he plays, he’s missed 3/4 of the season every year he’s been in the league, outside of his first season with us where he played 72 of 82.

At this point he’s getting a free pass compared to JI but he’s only played 26 games in the past 2.5 years. I honestly don’t know what to do with him.

Honestly, I think we let him walk and draft a PG. The finances alone at 17MM don't make sense given his injury history.

Just now, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

In spite of the injuries and lack of PG play we have been in all of our games. Unlike previous seasons, these guys don't give up and we've come back many times from large deficits. IMPO the future looks very bright for this team.

I think we are better than our current record, and this team does remind me a bit of the Darrell Armstrong led, heart & hustle team. I do think we need a true backup PG. With Anthony, Suggs, and Hampton we have too many combo guards that are not suited to step into a starting PG if/when Fultz is out. Any of them are okay running with a true point, and playing some point with the second unit, but they just aren't up to the challenge of full-time PG. They've all shown flashes, and I'm even warming to RJ a little - after an awful summer league, he actually is playing pretty well in limited minutes. I just think we needed a veteran PG this year to work with these guys and to step in with Fultz out. 

39 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

6 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Honestly, I think we let him walk and draft a PG. The finances alone at 17MM don't make sense given his injury history.

I tend to agree that there isn't enough information yet. I think if he is back by Christmas and plays the rest of the year, you roll the dice on next year and keep him.

If he isn't back before then, or if he is out for another extended period (more than 3-4 games) after he comes back, then I think you let him walk. I hate to say that, because I love his game, and I think he makes everyone on the floor with him so much better; but he can't do that if he's not on the floor. Also, I hate to say that because, being the Magic, if we let him walk, he will finally get healthy and go on to become an All-Star and have career nights against us. 

4 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Just to add more injury updates, Paolo, Cole, Isaac, Fultz, and Moe didn’t travel with the team for the 3 game road trip.

How come Suggs keeps playing kind of injured / in pain, clearly?      I guess he is the only one that tells the FO....you don't tell me when and when not I can play.

3 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I get what your saying. I wanted us to trade for Mitchell during the summer.  That would have made this a play off year. I also hate sitting players who are healthy. I feel that the Chicago trade and selecting Banchero when most wanted Chet or Smith buys them another year or two. Also the Wagner pick was a home run.

If it was up to me now that we have a franchise player.  I would move some picks and players for an established star guard. At the same time though I am just a fan who hates seeing the product they put on the floor last night.  I get why they are taking the long view.  I just think the fire the front office stuff is extreme. 

The problem with this FO is they are always evaluating instead of trying to improve this team. We saw that happen with the Vuc, Fournier, and AG era and with the multiple 2nd round draft picks we traded instead of trying to find the talent to help our 2nd unit get better. Then we go sign 2 way players who have no upside whatsoever and don’t address the glaring hole at the point guard position. We have been miss managed for long enough and I’m tired of it. Sure they did well with the Banchero and Franz picks but it was about time they finally did something right after failing repeatedly with our asset management. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fire Weltham said:

The problem with this FO is they are always evaluating instead of trying to improve this team. We saw that happen with the Vuc, Fournier, and AG era and with the multiple 2nd round draft picks we traded instead of trying to find the talent to help our 2nd unit get better. Then we go sign 2 way players who have no upside whatsoever and don’t address the glaring hole at the point guard position. We have been miss managed for long enough and I’m tired of it. Sure they did well with the Banchero and Franz picks but it was about time they finally did something right after failing repeatedly with our asset management. 

This is pretty much exactly what I have been saying. That Giannis pick is the only reason these dinosaurs have a job still. They just continue to “evaluate” and kick the van down the road. Shooting and a competent Point guard is what we are desperate for. Yet they’re happy to play the Harris’s, Dwayne Bacons and Schofields of the world 40 mins a night.  They have to go. Been horrid 

• Upvote 1

Paolo Banchero has told Khobi Price (who's honestly been a breathe of fresh air to the Orlando beat) he expects to be out another 1-2 weeks. 

6. The Orlando Magic's guard play

The Magic face a fascinating medium-term decision: whether to go all-in for a lead guard if yet another visit to the lottery doesn't deliver a transcendent talent. I liked the Magic as a stealth Donovan Mitchell team, but they don't appear to have dived deeply there, sources said.

The Magic can run offense through Franz Wagner and Paolo Banchero; Orlando has scored 113 points per 100 possessions when those two share the floor, equivalent to the No. 10 offense.

Wendell Carter Jr. keeps adding both power and finesse; he's only 23. (Fun question that sounds absurd only because no one watches the Magic: Would you rather have Carter or Deandre Ayton for the next five years?) Perhaps the Magic think they can build an offense by surrounding those three with caretaker point guards -- Patrick Beverley types.

Jalen Suggs could become an elite version of that player. He is not (so far) on a traditional "lead guard" trajectory. He's shooting 30% on 3s and coughing the ball up at an alarming rate. Entry passes are sometimes a struggle. The Magic are threatening to overtake the Rockets for the league's highest turnover rate, and out-turnovering the Rockets is an accomplishment.

Of course, Cole Anthony and Markelle Fultz are hurt. Anthony is at worst a high-level backup. I'm not sure he has the shooting or playmaking to become a plus long-term starter, but we'll see. Fultz needs the ball because of his wonky jumper, and he's not good enough with it to siphon touches from Wagner and Banchero. (Fultz has been solid in Orlando, but he has played 26 games since the end of the 2019-2020 season.)

Maybe Wagner and Banchero -- especially Banchero -- are so good the Magic can invest resources in defense and spot-up shooting. But my hunch is they will need a stud guard.

Zach Lowe sees the same things we all do.  I do wish we would have gone after Mitchell a little harder.

37 minutes ago, MagicMan1979 said:

6. The Orlando Magic's guard play

The Magic face a fascinating medium-term decision: whether to go all-in for a lead guard if yet another visit to the lottery doesn't deliver a transcendent talent. I liked the Magic as a stealth Donovan Mitchell team, but they don't appear to have dived deeply there, sources said.

The Magic can run offense through Franz Wagner and Paolo Banchero; Orlando has scored 113 points per 100 possessions when those two share the floor, equivalent to the No. 10 offense.

Wendell Carter Jr. keeps adding both power and finesse; he's only 23. (Fun question that sounds absurd only because no one watches the Magic: Would you rather have Carter or Deandre Ayton for the next five years?) Perhaps the Magic think they can build an offense by surrounding those three with caretaker point guards -- Patrick Beverley types.

Jalen Suggs could become an elite version of that player. He is not (so far) on a traditional "lead guard" trajectory. He's shooting 30% on 3s and coughing the ball up at an alarming rate. Entry passes are sometimes a struggle. The Magic are threatening to overtake the Rockets for the league's highest turnover rate, and out-turnovering the Rockets is an accomplishment.

Of course, Cole Anthony and Markelle Fultz are hurt. Anthony is at worst a high-level backup. I'm not sure he has the shooting or playmaking to become a plus long-term starter, but we'll see. Fultz needs the ball because of his wonky jumper, and he's not good enough with it to siphon touches from Wagner and Banchero. (Fultz has been solid in Orlando, but he has played 26 games since the end of the 2019-2020 season.)

Maybe Wagner and Banchero -- especially Banchero -- are so good the Magic can invest resources in defense and spot-up shooting. But my hunch is they will need a stud guard.

Zach Lowe sees the same things we all do.  I do wish we would have gone after Mitchell a little harder.

Except that if we had gone after Mitchell a little harder, we might not have Banchero. I'm sure that pick would had to have been included in the "package".  (We might have been able to "protect" it top-3, but who knows)