Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

I don't know if we're tanking, but what I do know is that the Magic are #4 in the league for FG%. 

Our defense (as we've seen) SHOULD be better with our length. 

If we continue our offensive efficiency, we're 100% not playing to tank. 

On 11/10/2022 at 10:55 AM, TreyMachine said:

Was our defense in the Mavericks game really that good or were they just not hitting open shots? I find it hard to believe we lose Paolo and somehow our team turns into a defensive juggernaut that that stat sheet shows while allowing like 120+ PPG in the last 4 straight games. 

“Vecenie’s ranking: 3.

How you rate Banchero depends entirely on how much you value offensive upside above all. If you want someone who has a chance to carry an offense, Banchero should be the No. 1 guy on your board. If the shooting comes around — and I think it will — his game translates well as both a primary offensive creator and a No. 2 option. He’s a sharp passer, a very fluid shot creator with the best bag of tricks in the class and possesses at least enough touch to reasonably project him as an excellent perimeter shooter. He’s a genuine mismatch nightmare and likely will continue to be effective in that regard at the NBA level. Can he defend in space well enough to avoid being targeted for mismatches on that end? Right now, I think he would be attacked on defense because of his poor closeouts and his movement in space (and because of faulty effort). But he has potential to get to a level where that doesn’t happen given his size, strength and intelligence.”

So I got to thinking about Treys post …my memory took me back to draft night …I remembered Soul Bro being not happy about the Banchero pick …he was worried about the Banchero defense and posted this quote from Hollinger/Vecenie to back up his point …later Soul was complaining he thought Banchero would constantly be targeted in switches …not the be all end all answer but definitely food for thought as we look awesome defensively 2 games in a row without Banchero 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

“Vecenie’s ranking: 3.

How you rate Banchero depends entirely on how much you value offensive upside above all. If you want someone who has a chance to carry an offense, Banchero should be the No. 1 guy on your board. If the shooting comes around — and I think it will — his game translates well as both a primary offensive creator and a No. 2 option. He’s a sharp passer, a very fluid shot creator with the best bag of tricks in the class and possesses at least enough touch to reasonably project him as an excellent perimeter shooter. He’s a genuine mismatch nightmare and likely will continue to be effective in that regard at the NBA level. Can he defend in space well enough to avoid being targeted for mismatches on that end? Right now, I think he would be attacked on defense because of his poor closeouts and his movement in space (and because of faulty effort). But he has potential to get to a level where that doesn’t happen given his size, strength and intelligence.”

So I got to thinking about Treys post …my memory took me back to draft night …I remembered Soul Bro being not happy about the Banchero pick …he was worried about the Banchero defense and posted this quote from Hollinger/Vecenie to back up his point …later Soul was complaining he thought Banchero would constantly be targeted in switches …not the be all end all answer but definitely food for thought as we look awesome defensively 2 games in a row without Banchero 

Good find. I think defense is an attitude and commitment issue. Given what I’ve seen from Paulo, he looks like a guy committed to winning and the team. Thus, I think his defense will come around. Meanwhile, his offense has far surpassed my expectations.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I don't know if we're tanking, but what I do know is that the Magic are #4 in the league for FG%. 

Our defense (as we've seen) SHOULD be better with our length. 

If we continue our offensive efficiency, we're 100% not playing to tank. 

Tanking is not really about what coaches and available players do. They want to win, they're trying to compete and show themselves. Tanking is more about what the FO does, for example taking away players from the coaching staff. We have at least two high profile players saying they can play (1 of them has been out for 2 years) but they don't.

I mean, we can be excited about the team's and the player's growth but at the same time admit that our FO is tanking again. That's just how I see it 

On 11/12/2022 at 12:04 AM, Phil4Real said:

Tanking is not really about what coaches and available players do. They want to win, they're trying to compete and show themselves. Tanking is more about what the FO does, for example taking away players from the coaching staff. We have at least two high profile players saying they can play (1 of them has been out for 2 years) but they don't.

I mean, we can be excited about the team's and the player's growth but at the same time admit that our FO is tanking again. That's just how I see it 

The 3 home wins over the very good teams Warriors, Mavericks and Suns is encouraging...loosing to the Kings and Rockets, the opposite, but that's part of the game. 

That 2 of these 3 wins are without Paolo w is kind of shocking....it has its pros and cons. One pro for sure, team first, winning as a team is what matters.  It's also good to know, no Paolo, no problem.

Impossible to guarantee how many wins this Magic team is going to have at the end of the season but we are 4 -3 at home so far...if 20 to 23 at home and 10 to 12 on the road, team could be close to 35. Not sure this amount of wins get them into the play-in / playoffs. Forty three (43), the Hornets had last year to be seed #10.

My whole reason for not wanting banchero in the first place, was I did not think he was projected as a 3-point shooter... People pushed back and said look at his 32% three-point shot in college. If you looked at his game stats there were many games where he went 0-4 or 0-5 from three.. then there were games where he went 4-5 or 2-2... There were many more games where he had zero then Great games and that can just take you out of an offense in the NBA.

It was my reasoning for backing jabari, though I'm glad to be wrong as a overall pick. I think jabari next to Franz and Wendel would have been a perfect spot of shooter for us. He definitely could have been a Rashard Lewis 19-20 point guy with basically threes in a couple driving... But looking back now in hindsight Paulo is the better pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jason Funderburker said:

SGA seems likely to be the next young star guard to be traded. Should be something we get in on if it comes to that

I'm not sure he will be personally but if he becomes available I'd make everyone and everything except Franz and Paolo available. 

19 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

SGA seems likely to be the next young star guard to be traded. Should be something we get in on if it comes to that

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander signed a 5 year / $179,299,750 contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder, including $179,299,750 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $35,859,950.
Signed Using: Designated Rookie Extension/B...
Contract: 5 yr(s) / $179,299,750
Average Salary: $35,859,950
Free Agent: 2027 / UFA
NOTE: HE WAS THERE IN THE 2018 DRAFT AT 6 FOR THE MAGIC TO TAKE. THE FO OPTED FOR BAMBA. HE WAS DRAFTED 11 BY THE HORNETS AND TRADED TO THE CLIPPERS FOR MILES BRIDGES AND TWO FUTURE SECOND ROUND PICKS.

Orlando Magic

Current record: 4-9
Chance of No. 1 pick: 12.1%
Tradable veteran contracts: Terrence Ross

The Magic have only 32 wins since the 2021 All-Star break but are trending in the right direction, thanks to the play of recent lottery picks Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner.

Banchero, the No. 1 overall pick in 2022, became the first player since Michael Jordan to score at least 15 points in each of his first 11 career games.

Wagner, last year's No. 8 pick, is averaging 18.3 points -- the third most among second-year players, behind only Jalen Green and Cade Cunningham.

Despite injuries to key players such as Gary HarrisMarkelle Fultz and Cole Anthony, Orlando has a point differential of -2.0 and picked up quality wins against the Golden State WarriorsDallas Mavericks and Phoenix Suns.

The injuries in the backcourt have resulted in Ross going from reserve to starter. Ross is on an expiring $13.5 million contract and is averaging career highs in field goal percentage (46.1%) and 3-point percentage (42.3%).

ESPN has us in a group of 8 contenders for Victor 

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/35019664/how-rockets-magic-pelicans-thanks-lakers-win-wembanyama-sweepstakes

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Orlando Magic

Current record: 4-9
Chance of No. 1 pick: 12.1%
Tradable veteran contracts: Terrence Ross

The Magic have only 32 wins since the 2021 All-Star break but are trending in the right direction, thanks to the play of recent lottery picks Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner.

Banchero, the No. 1 overall pick in 2022, became the first player since Michael Jordan to score at least 15 points in each of his first 11 career games.

Wagner, last year's No. 8 pick, is averaging 18.3 points -- the third most among second-year players, behind only Jalen Green and Cade Cunningham.

Despite injuries to key players such as Gary HarrisMarkelle Fultz and Cole Anthony, Orlando has a point differential of -2.0 and picked up quality wins against the Golden State WarriorsDallas Mavericks and Phoenix Suns.

The injuries in the backcourt have resulted in Ross going from reserve to starter. Ross is on an expiring $13.5 million contract and is averaging career highs in field goal percentage (46.1%) and 3-point percentage (42.3%).

ESPN has us in a group of 8 contenders for Victor 

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/35019664/how-rockets-magic-pelicans-thanks-lakers-win-wembanyama-sweepstakes

Thanks Junkie - I don't have the Insider, but I was kind of curious what this story had to say about the Magic.