Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

This should be the most interesting season for the Magic in quite some time. There are many questions, hopes and expectations, it all remains to be seen.

One thing that I am really hoping for is that we may have found a second round pick that can actually contribute. I'm really sick of watching teams like the heat keep pulling these diamonds out of their a$$ while we sell our seconds for considerations. Houstan has a sweet shot looks like he works hard on defense and is smart. Let's hope Mosley can find a productive spot for him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Natesroom said:

with a 4-1 preseason record i thought this board would be so busy! 

I feel like the only thing we’re seeing that’s new or hasn’t been discussed all summer (mostly our front court versatility) is the fact that it translated to wins. I’m still real eager to see how they look in regular season play. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

I feel like the only thing we’re seeing that’s new or hasn’t been discussed all summer (mostly our front court versatility) is the fact that it translated to wins. I’m still real eager to see how they look in regular season play. 

The Memphis game was the preseason game that really gives me hope for this season. Both teams seemed like they were trying to win and the intensity was like a playoff game. I can't predict out w/L record, but based on what I saw I predict we will not go down easy against any team.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:08 PM, Soul Bro said:

It's time...

With preseason in full swing, let's throw our predictions up here. 

Best offensive player will be?

Best defensive player will be?

Team MVP will be?

Record will be?

Additionally, this will be our general season thread for the upcoming season. Go Magic!

I'll answer my own questions as we head into the season:

- Paulo Banchero

- Franz Wagner

Team MVP will be?

- Franz Wagner

Record will be?

- 25-57

I expect to see player growth but struggle as a team overall until we get consistent guard play. Go Magic!

On 10/7/2022 at 5:08 PM, Soul Bro said:

It's time...

With preseason in full swing, let's throw our predictions up here. 

Team MVP will be?

Record will be?

Additionally, this will be our general season thread for the upcoming season. Go Magic!

Offense: Franz

Defense: Wendell

MVP: Wendell

Record: 36-46

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Team MVP will be?

Record will be?

- WCJ 

- Suggs if fully healthy if not Chuma if he gets more minutes

Team MVP will be?

- Franz Wagner

Record will be?

- 40-42 (Shooting for the moon)

• Like 1

Not really Magic related, but James Bouknight just got his fourth (4) DUI or wreckless driving in the last year. Bro needs help. 

25. Orlando Magic

When we last saw them ...The Magic finished an East-worst 22-60. They got the No.1 pick in the NBA draft Lottery and took Duke star Paolo Banchero. There is optimism within the organization that they finally have a solid core of young players to build around and earn relevance in the league.

Win-loss projections

• ESPN Forecast: 23-59

• FiveThirtyEight: 23-59

• Caesars: 27.5 wins | Title odds: +50000

Magic in NBArank

• Paolo Banchero (82)

• Most impactful offseason move: Drafting Paolo Banchero

There was a lot of speculation regarding what the Magic might do with the top pick, but ultimately, they took the 19-year-old Banchero. And they hope he can be the type of franchise player they haven't had since Dwight Howard left town a decade ago. Banchero has generated a lot of hope that brighter days are ahead for a struggling team that desperately needs to reenergize a dormant fan base.

2022-23 is a make-or-break season for ... 

Jonathan Isaac. There are plenty of different options in this category from the Magic, but Isaac fits the bill because of just how much time he has missed. He hasn't played in over two years since injuring his knee in the NBA bubble in August 2020. At 25, Isaac still has plenty of time to jump-start his career again, but it remains to be seen what kind of player he will be after missing that much time.

Quote that will define their season:

"I really believe that we're going to do it by committee, honestly. Look at the Warriors. Look at Milwaukee; you look at Memphis. There's something about the committee in which they do it. One person will speak at times, but there's other guys holding each one accountable. There's one guy that will speak up and do it a different way, work in a different way. That's the way this team is shaping up; each guy's going to have a different type of voice on a different night." -- Magic coach Jamahl Mosley

Mosley wants to do anything he can to take pressure off of Banchero in his rookie season, but the rise or ongoing fall of the Magic will depend considerably on how Banchero adapts in his first NBA year. For his part, Banchero seems confident he'll be able to handle all the extra scrutiny coming his way, but Mosley wants to make sure that all his young players, including guys like former first-rounders Jalen Suggs, Franz Wagner, Cole Anthony and Wendell Carter Jr., are doing their part alongside Markelle Fultzand Isaac.

So as you can see ESPN is giving us 1 more win than last year …this after having the number 1 pick …I’m gonna be very disappointed if we just win 1 more game than last year …and to add, I’m calling the Magic offices tomorrow …whatever is going on with Jonathan Issac needs to be addressed …this is not right keeping fans in the dark with his status …we could see much more progress with a fully healthy team that is playing in actual games 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

25. Orlando Magic

When we last saw them ...The Magic finished an East-worst 22-60. They got the No.1 pick in the NBA draft Lottery and took Duke star Paolo Banchero. There is optimism within the organization that they finally have a solid core of young players to build around and earn relevance in the league.

Win-loss projections

• ESPN Forecast: 23-59

• FiveThirtyEight: 23-59

• Caesars: 27.5 wins | Title odds: +50000

Really ESPN??? 1 More win thats it?? Not a good call for a #1 Pick

I reluctantly agree with ESPN on this one but for a different reason. If the Magic do not stay healthy, I'm just not seeing how we're gonna do any better than last year. That's not anyone's fault either but it's been so prevalent these last few years that I can't even ignore it as a season-changing factor.

If they stay healthy they'll win like 8 more games than last year. Oh if only we had like a LeBron with us lol