CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Summer League Thread

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

RJ Hampton is not a point guard but I'm happy with him getting playmaking reps in this environment if it helps improve his feel for the game long term.

Hopefully he focuses on being a 3 and D guy in the season. 

Agree and brought this up before SL but you mentioned Banchero would be initiating most of the offense here. 

I think continuing to pour time in to developing Hampton may be futile as even after a few years his BBIQ is almost non-existent.  I don't want to harp on 1 SL game, however he should be dominating in this environment.  Instead he almost costs us the game. He misses 2 FT's with the game on the line, forgets he has to advance the ball after the timeout, If he just catch's the pass from Paulo with 2 hands instead of trying to control it with a few seconds left he's getting fouled.

I hate to say it but I cringe every time he puts his head down and tries to get to the rim.

It's obvious he still needs a lot of work. I just don't see him "earning" a lot of burn next year and it's not like he's a valuable trade chip.  He may just sit the bench which wouldn't help him at all.

Not sure what we do with him at this point.

Honestly think RJ will be out of the league in 3 years unless he makes a huge jump in his understanding of the game. He's long, athletic and bursty but that's all worthless if he can't finish consistently, shoot off the dribble, has limited vision and gets lost on defense.

55 minutes ago, KCmagicFAN said:

It was absolutely clean. What a great block. Paolo is gonna be a good one. I can't wait to see this team once Isaac is fully healthy and everyone gets to gel together. Finally something to look forward to as an Orlando Magic fan.

IDK man....You hear Weltham being interviewed during the game and he doesn't sound too optimistic about Isaac.  "Isaac is working to get back to where he was before his injury" and "We aren't going to rush his return" WTF  does he consider "rushing"?  Didn't Isaac say he could've played @ the end of the season? He's missed so much time now I don't think we can consider him anything more than a pipe dream to play for us again, kind of like how we held out hope for Fran Vazquez.

12 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

IDK man....You hear Weltham being interviewed during the game and he doesn't sound too optimistic about Isaac.  "Isaac is working to get back to where he was before his injury" and "We aren't going to rush his return" WTF  does he consider "rushing"?  Didn't Isaac say he could've played @ the end of the season? He's missed so much time now I don't think we can consider him anything more than a pipe dream to play for us again, kind of like how we held out hope for Fran Vazquez.

Come on man, comparing him to Fran is a bit of a stretch. 

Plus, I fully expect JI to be ready by the start of the season. 

I wonder if RJ reads the boards here or on orlandopinstripedpost? He's getting called out for his terrible BBIQ by so many people. That's got to motivate him to learn the game and stop trying to solely rely on his athleticism right? 

11 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Come on man, comparing him to Fran is a bit of a stretch. 

Plus, I fully expect JI to be ready by the start of the season. 

Yeah that's a stretch ;p! Our management is so tight lipped and his recovery has been so long I don't think his return should be taken as a given.  It was how Weltham was still talking about Isaac that made me feel like we need to be prepared for him possibly not being the same player or not even being cleared to play when the season starts.  Did you hear Weltham's in game interview? How could you not be concerned with how much time has gone by and still hearing comments like, "He's working @ getting back to where he was pre-injury" and " We aren't going to rush his return" without concern? 

32 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

This coming from the same guy who kept close to the vest who we were picking with the first pick, even though he didn’t have to.

Jonathan Isaac is probably ready but Weltman finds joy in not tipping his at on anything. 

18 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

This coming from the same guy who kept close to the vest who we were picking with the first pick, even though he didn’t have to.

Jonathan Isaac is probably ready but Weltman finds joy in not tipping his at on anything. 

Isaac was expected to play sometime last year too.  We were all concerned how no information was coming out concerning Isaac's injury.  We were hearing the same things then as we just heard today. Isaac obviously didn't play last year so it's not all smoke and mirrors.

43 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

Yeah that's a stretch ;p! Our management is so tight lipped and his recovery has been so long I don't think his return should be taken as a given.  It was how Weltham was still talking about Isaac that made me feel like we need to be prepared for him possibly not being the same player or not even being cleared to play when the season starts.  Did you hear Weltham's in game interview? How could you not be concerned with how much time has gone by and still hearing comments like, "He's working @ getting back to where he was pre-injury" and " We aren't going to rush his return" without concern? 

My confidence comes from that fact that JI is practicing some with the summer league team. 

As is Suggs, who is coming back from an injury and a handful of other guys. I know I saw a video of Wendell working out with Paolo. 

12 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

Isaac was expected to play sometime last year too.  We were all concerned how no information was coming out concerning Isaac's injury.  We were hearing the same things then as we just heard today. Isaac obviously didn't play last year so it's not all smoke and mirrors.

Additionally, this video gives me confident.