CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Summer League Thread

Well Paolo has me sold. The catch and shoot and step back 3s made me really say “okay I see the vision with him”. You can see the Tatum comp, tho he is definitely different. I’ll be curious what his physique ends up looking like a few years down the road. He doesn’t quite have the first step burst so I wonder if they will try to slim him down

Orlando Magic

orl.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Paolo Banchero and R.J. Hampton | Forward, Point Guard

The most skilled offensive player in the 2022 draft class, Banchero will likely draw some of the biggest crowds of fans in Vegas to see how his polished shot-creation arsenal translates to the professional level. The Magic's summer league roster looks set up perfectly for Banchero to shoulder a heavy offensive load and emerge as the devastating force operating as a grab-and-go threat, out of pick-and-roll, isolation sets and in the post, which should give us some nice insight into how Orlando plans on utilizing their prized draft pick. With Jalen Suggs recovering from ankle surgery and Franz Wagner not participating, third-year guard Hampton elected to play summer league. He, too, should have plenty of ballhandling responsibility, and NBA teams will surely be studying how he looks in terms of his passing, perimeter shooting and decision making, as the Magic's crowded backcourt could make him a potential target for an opportunistic rival team looking for a high-upside candidate on a low salary if Hampton falls out of favor in the rotation. -- Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34201493/nba-summer-league-2022-one-player-watch-every-team
Just posted from Givony …interesting about Hampton

As someone who couldn't watch the game I love seeing stuff like this. What a great rotation from Houstan. His defense wasn't good at Michigan but if he plays with this kind of effort on every possession as a pro he'll be fine. 

I’m going to again give it a few games. It would be great to have found a diamond in the rough in Houstan, but we need to see more from him than one game to evaluate his rotational value. 

I'm glad I was not the "picker"....Paolo is the total package !!!

Leadership, Personality for a # 1, Playmaking, Ballhandling, Passing, Unselfish, High IQ, Still only 19 yrs old, NBA Ready, Offensive Inside Game and Outside Game, Good Defensively.....should make the rest of the team better, and the better they get, the closer we are going to be to win our 1st championship.

No question about it, the FO, with another great player selection.

36 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

I'm glad I was not the "picker"....Paolo is the total package !!!

Leadership, Personality for a # 1, Playmaking, Ballhandling, Passing, Unselfish, High IQ, Still only 19 yrs old, NBA Ready, Offensive Inside Game and Outside Game, Good Defensively.....should make the rest of the team better, and the better they get, the closer we are going to be to win our 1st championship.

No question about it, the FO, with another great player selection.

One summer game is promising, but certainly not enough to judge a pick. I'm not being pessimistic, I really like what I've seen so far; but it is only one game. Lest we all forget, one game, even one season, does not make a career. Michael Carter Williams won Rookie of the Year. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

One summer game is promising, but certainly not enough to judge a pick. I'm not being pessimistic, I really like what I've seen so far; but it is only one game. Lest we all forget, one game, even one season, does not make a career. Michael Carter Williams won Rookie of the Year. 

I agree with everything you’re saying, but if you looked at any of MCW’s shooting %’s and factor in that he was basically given free-reign to do whatever he wanted (kinda like a homeless man’s Westbrook) on a team that had zero interest in winning a single game, then his limitations were apparent. Philly even knew he wasn’t very good and got rid of him the next season lol. I digress tho