CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Summer League Thread

Paolo has currently dropped 17 and 6ast and Caleb has popped off for 20pts 4/5 from 3. I do feel somtimes paolo is just coasting though.

Couldn't watch last night but I've seen enough of the highlights this morning to feel good about both our picks a while longer. Paolo is a special passer for his size. Combine that with his stupid amounts of strength and fluidity for a 6'10 guy and even if the jumper is only 'good' and not 'great' (it might be great. that step back though!) he's probably still a star. 

One thing that really excited me was the off ball 3 he took near the beginning of the game. RJ drove, Paolo relocated to the wing to catch and shoot and drained it. That's huge. Even as good a passer as he is he needs to be able to play off ball and get easy points when his post/dribble game isn't going for him.

One thing I'm confident about Houstan is that he can absolutely catch and shoot it. I think that's his path to NBA minutes at the moment just making open catch and shoot jumpers. I think his ability to run to the 3 point line in transition and make shots also might portend that he could develop as a real movement shooter some day too as he gets stronger and more experienced, someone who can run off a couple of screens and get open for a 3, like a Duncan Robinson type, but that's all strictly hypothetical at the moment. 

Realistically all Paolo has to be defensively is not a negative. I don't think he'll ever be Draymond Green that end but if he can make plays on the ball, get deflections and steals and block shots and generally be in the right place as a help defender that'll be fine. 

I’m looking back at Paolo’s shot, and the most impressive thing to me is the arch. Jabari’s shot seemed flat, but Paolo put a lot of arch on it, which created a soft touch and reminded me a ton of the arch Dirk had on his shot as a big man that meant his shot was near unblockable.

I’m curious to know if that is the archetype his new shooting coach is taking. Either way, it looks so good. I truly can’t wait for the regular season to get here. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Couldn't watch last night but I've seen enough of the highlights this morning to feel good about both our picks a while longer. Paolo is a special passer for his size. Combine that with his stupid amounts of strength and fluidity for a 6'10 guy and even if the jumper is only 'good' and not 'great' (it might be great. that step back though!) he's probably still a star. 

One thing that really excited me was the off ball 3 he took near the beginning of the game. RJ drove, Paolo relocated to the wing to catch and shoot and drained it. That's huge. Even as good a passer as he is he needs to be able to play off ball and get easy points when his post/dribble game isn't going for him.

One thing I'm confident about Houstan is that he can absolutely catch and shoot it. I think that's his path to NBA minutes at the moment just making open catch and shoot jumpers. I think his ability to run to the 3 point line in transition and make shots also might portend that he could develop as a real movement shooter some day too as he gets stronger and more experienced, someone who can run off a couple of screens and get open for a 3, like a Duncan Robinson type, but that's all strictly hypothetical at the moment. 

Paolo shot 40% off catch and shoot in college. Shooting off dibble lowed his % to 34%