CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Summer League Thread

7 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Chet Holmgren debut tonight at 9 on ESPN

Thanks for the heads up!  I never got to watch Chet play live in college but watched several of his films during the draft process.  I'm one of the people who think he won't be able to bulk up and the NBA game will be too physical for him. I'd like to see him on the court before he heads to IR. 

Holmgren putting on a show in the first quarter …and those are the commentators words not mine …shooting 3’s, blocking shots, altering shots, bringing the ball up the court, beating smaller guys off the dribble, dribbling behind his back, attacking the rim …Tacko Fall was able to push him around when they were jostling for position but Tacko is a big dude himself .

I’m not a Chet fan but I was impressed …looking forward to Banchero Thursday night .

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Chet has played well, but Jazz dont really have much talent on their summer league roster. 

It doesn't matter who he's playing, what matter is the moves he is making on both ends of the floor translate very well in the NBA. The kid is going to be a stud, if he can stay healthy.

22 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

It doesn't matter who he's playing, what matter is the moves he is making on both ends of the floor translate very well in the NBA. The kid is going to be a stud, if he can stay healthy.

“If he stays healthy” is the key word. I think all of us know he will be a stud in this league when on the court - it was the primary question of the draft (and will be of his career) whether his body will hold up to the NBA’s 82 game body-banging. 

I think Chet may look better / more unique on the court than Paolo / JSJ, but I think his career, and the efficiency of his career, will be FAR shorter than either of the other two. 

• Like 1

When all you got is that he could be injury prone despite not showing tendency to be injury prone it feels like grasping at straws.  Same thing happened with KD back in the day.

Looking forward to Thursday!

Chet is by far the weirdest prospect I’ve ever seen. His proportions are out of a comic book so you can’t blame management for not taking the risk.

I’ve made peace with seeing him flourish in another team. I can’t take the heartache whenever he takes a risky fall, which happened in his first summer league game already.

Such a talent, though. Wish him well

Chet kind of was as advertised. Rim protection, jumpers, finishing at the rim and a little bit of ball handling and passing.

I'd be interested to know how far into his career, if he never has a serious injury, we get before people stop using the injury risk as cope. 

Poor kid though, first time he ever misses a game with a sprained ankle the entire internet is gonna be like "SEE! INJURIES!"

Im even more excited to see Paolo now. Only because he might feel the pressure even more given the #2 guy just went out and put on a show and I want to see how he responds. 

• Like 1

Also I'm 100% on the Paolo train now, and this was only one summer league game for Chet, but there'd definitely be some irony if the front office finally moves away from drafting long skinny guys just to pass on one who ends up being a game changer.