All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

16 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Here’s the thing: I want to believe in our guards; I really do. Unfortunately, I really don’t. Will one of these guys become an all star? Let’s hope so, as so much rides on that outcome.

Cole will definitely 

31 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

I appreciate the love for Paolo.

But some of this is delusional stuff. "When's the last time we saw the Orlando Magic competing to win games like they was in Summer League" bro what? We made the playoffs 3 years ago. We won 42 games the year before that. Somehow that's less of an achievement than winning 2 summer league games? 

"I hope that organisation is ready for that player" is a bit of a cheap shot too. Nothing this front office has done suggests they intend to waste assets or won't be thorough exploring every avenue to be the best team we can but Draymond wouldn't know that he just thinks "lol Magic bad". Let's also not act as though the Golden State Warriors were always a top notch franchise and didn't just get good coinciding with having the greatest shooter of all time. The top non Steph Curry seasons in Golden State history were in the 70s. 

Thinking about how the Knicks have shown up at Utah playoff games, hired an assistant coach from Utah (Johnny Bryant) who's close friends with Mitchell, and just generally blatantly courted a guy under contract for years. (Not to mention they did similar stuff with Jalen Brunson, even hiring his dad). 

If Paolo is the real deal get ready for this kind of stuff to happen to us. Especially from West Coast teams with Paolo being from Seattle.

I'm not too worried about Franz given he's a European guy and doesn't have any strong connection to any part of the US (Michigan I suppose with College but no like family ties or anything, but I guess a team might try the Giannis thing of hiring his brother lol). Euro guys tend to be more loyal I think because of that (Dirk, Jokic, Giannis, Parker and Manu). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Thinking about how the Knicks have shown up at Utah playoff games, hired an assistant coach from Utah (Johnny Bryant) who's close friends with Mitchell, and just generally blatantly courted a guy under contract for years. (Not to mention they did similar stuff with Jalen Brunson, even hiring his dad). 

If Paolo is the real deal get ready for this kind of stuff to happen to us. Especially from West Coast teams with Paolo being from Seattle.

I'm not too worried about Franz given he's a European guy and doesn't have any strong connection to any part of the US (Michigan I suppose with College but no like family ties or anything, but I guess a team might try the Giannis thing of hiring his brother lol). Euro guys tend to be more loyal I think because of that (Dirk, Jokic, Giannis, Parker and Manu). 

My hope is that winning will be enough. I said it on draft night - Jabari seems like the type of kid who would stay with one franchise his entire life (gives me Tim Duncan personality vibes). Paolo doesn’t give me that same vibe, especially because we didn’t really “court him” before “marrying him.” 

My hope is that Paolo sees how, if we’re winning and have a great team chemistry, he’ll look at the legacies of guys who jumped ship more than once (KD, LeBron, D12 the most close to home) and how it impacted their market perception vs. the guys who stayed with one team (Dirk, Steph, Duncan, Kobe, MJ, etc.). The inverse of that is of course our Krytponite - Shaq made one big jump and it turned out great for him, but I think he’s more the exception to the rule as generally, superstars who jump ship don’t always find greener pastures. 

6 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Cole will definitely 

You’re far too optimistic. Hero ball with a streaky shot, limit court vision, and limited defensive prowess (though he gives effort) will not make you an all-star. I think Cole is actually LEAST likely amongst Cole/Suggs/Fultz to become an All-Star, but I’ve been wrong before. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

My hope is that winning will be enough. I said it on draft night - Jabari seems like the type of kid who would stay with one franchise his entire life (gives me Tim Duncan personality vibes). Paolo doesn’t give me that same vibe, especially because we didn’t really “court him” before “marrying him.” 

My hope is that Paolo sees how, if we’re winning and have a great team chemistry, he’ll look at the legacies of guys who jumped ship more than once (KD, LeBron, D12 the most close to home) and how it impacted their market perception vs. the guys who stayed with one team (Dirk, Steph, Duncan, Kobe, MJ, etc.). The inverse of that is of course our Krytponite - Shaq made one big jump and it turned out great for him, but I think he’s more the exception to the rule as generally, superstars who jump ship don’t always find greener pastures. 

Yea all we can do really is build the best team and culture possible, try our best to win in the probably 8 or 9 years we'll have of control with Paolo (provided he's as good as we're hoping) and everything else will figure itself out for better or worse.

It's not really anything worth worrying about given its at least 6 or 7 seasons away before this kind of thing comes close to being a real problem, just a thought given what's going on in the NBA at the minute.

We should pick up Duane Washington Jr somehow if we can. He's good. I know we don't have a roster spot but figure that out over the next couple of months. 

Not sure how solid this intel is but Bill Simmons was floating the rumor that Donovan Mitchell might come to Orlando on his Podcast this morning.

He said Orlando could offer the best package with some mix of our young guards and a forward along with future picks. 

Also, talks about DM’s relationship with Fultz. 

2 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Not sure how solid this intel is but Bill Simmons was floating the rumor that Donovan Mitchell might come to Orlando on his Podcast this morning.

He said Orlando could offer the best package with some mix of our young guards and a forward along with future picks. 

If by "a forward" he means Franz or Paolo it's a hard pass from me. 

3 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

You’re far too optimistic. Hero ball with a streaky shot, limit court vision, and limited defensive prowess (though he gives effort) will not make you an all-star. I think Cole is actually LEAST likely amongst Cole/Suggs/Fultz to become an All-Star, but I’ve been wrong before. 

Remember i said it. Cole is about to blow this season. 

25 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Soul Bro is strapped in!

• Upvote 1