All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

21 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think if NBA teams believed he could do any of that at a high level he wouldn't be a free agent right now with literally zero buzz about where he goes. 

Considering best ability is availability, it's no wonder he's bounced around.  He really hasn't had much of a chance to develop.  I'm still holding out hope he is given a chance and develops.  He's younger than most of our G-league roster with more potential I believe.  If he goes unsigned do you think he'd accept a G-league offer? Does he even qualify?

51 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

Considering best ability is availability, it's no wonder he's bounced around.  He really hasn't had much of a chance to develop.  I'm still holding out hope he is given a chance and develops.  He's younger than most of our G-league roster with more potential I believe.  If he goes unsigned do you think he'd accept a G-league offer? Does he even qualify?

Any non NBA player can play in the G League as far as I know.

I generally disagree that he's worth keeping around but I'm not going to worry about it whatever happens it's end of bench/g league stuff. 

Call me pessimistic again but...

I'm fully aware there will be development (individually and as a team) and we'll also hopefully have a more healthy season, as I wrote in a post recently. I'm not against keeping a close group and chemistry either... my point is the same that I've made a lot of times in the last few years. To winning a championship, you need top players, but you also need a top structure in all the levels of the organization. And I just doesn't see that with FO, and possibly with the coaching staff either.

I also fully understand that those two year contracts are not going to affect us in any way short term, but what about using that cap space for other things, like absorbing contracts from other teams and get assets in exchange? We could argue that both Harris (that I actually like) and Bamba are going to be assets, but were not exchanged this season, and I'm not sure they will in the future... Both will probably have even less playing time if we're healthy as we hope, and their value will not be that high. Is that situation could be really considered not losing an asset? I've heard the same version when we signed Aminu... and we all know how that story finished... we had to lower the package that CHI gave us to include him in the trade.

I'm not saying we have a bad FO, but just one that has not a lot of imagination. They've spent 3 years with the Vuc-Fournier core that was clearly not leading us anywhere. Now they're set with that group, a group that could be interesting as much as we want, but doesn't sound like a top young group. Maybe we'll go to playoffs this year, or maybe in the next ones, but I just don't see the level required to be a great team and a contender in the future, and I don't see the imagination/ability in the FO to be able to reach that level.

/rant

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Call me pessimistic again but...

I'm fully aware there will be development (individually and as a team) and we'll also hopefully have a more healthy season, as I wrote in a post recently. I'm not against keeping a close group and chemistry either... my point is the same that I've made a lot of times in the last few years. To winning a championship, you need top players, but you also need a top structure in all the levels of the organization. And I just doesn't see that with FO, and possibly with the coaching staff either.

I also fully understand that those two year contracts are not going to affect us in any way short term, but what about using that cap space for other things, like absorbing contracts from other teams and get assets in exchange? We could argue that both Harris (that I actually like) and Bamba are going to be assets, but were not exchanged this season, and I'm not sure they will in the future... Both will probably have even less playing time if we're healthy as we hope, and their value will not be that high. Is that situation could be really considered not losing an asset? I've heard the same version when we signed Aminu... and we all know how that story finished... we had to lower the package that CHI gave us to include him in the trade.

I'm not saying we have a bad FO, but just one that has not a lot of imagination. They've spent 3 years with the Vuc-Fournier core that was clearly not leading us anywhere. Now they're set with that group, a group that could be interesting as much as we want, but doesn't sound like a top young group. Maybe we'll go to playoffs this year, or maybe in the next ones, but I just don't see the level required to be a great team and a contender in the future, and I don't see the imagination/ability in the FO to be able to reach that level.

/rant

Not a top young group?? Huh???

You wait and see my man. This is gonna be epic!!!! 

9 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Not a top young group?? Huh???

You wait and see my man. This is gonna be epic!!!! 

I would love to be proved completely wrong, I assure you.

But even if we had, the point about the FO stands. A lot more moves will be needed until you reach the top.

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Win. 

Gary Harris is good and almost certainly got mid level offers from contenders. 

People who think running it back will lead to the same results as last year are somehow forgetting that injuries meant we played like half the season with a heavy rotation of G League guys. Markelle Fultz is back and healthy (JI maybe too, I'll wait and see on that one), added Paolo Banchero and will get (hopefully a lot but almost certainly at least marginal) internal improvements from the Cole, Suggs, RJ, Franz, Okeke group. 

Plus by my estimation we still a potential Ross trade which could pick up if teams have missed out on free agent targets.

Hope springs eternal every summer but we are essentially running it back with the same group +Paulo.  Isaac can’t be counted on at this point.  Having Fultz back is nice but it’s not like we’ve been a big time winning team when Fultz has played. 

Will we be better this year?  Probably, given Paulo, and everyone else having more experience.  Will we win more than 30 games?   I seriously doubt it.  

I know a Durant trade likely would need 3 teams to get Brooklyn the haul they will want.

That aside, living in dream world what would be the best package we could offer Brooklyn in just a 2 team trade? While leaving the Magic and Durant with a roster best positioned to compete?

And if we were to want to get involved in a 3 team trade, what would we be wanting in a return?

45 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I would love to be proved completely wrong, I assure you.

But even if we had, the point about the FO stands. A lot more moves will be needed until you reach the top.

They are betting on the lads developing into stars. If they all hit can you imagine. If we are healthy next season we are top 6 in the east easily. I am betting homecourt advantage. But it depends on the strategy the FO wanna go. 

I honestly.. genuinely.. unequivocally believe we are about to smash teams. We are the new kids on the block

• Upvote 1

Harris deal is not guaranteed for the second year. That is a very good deal, with it being slightly above the MLE it's clear that he deffo had MLE offers. Maintains full flexibility for cap space or trade if need arises. Now wondering if Bambas is the same.

5 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Would be good. I believe J.I organised something last off season

Didn’t JI invite the team to go watch him talk at church and nobody came? lol that’s all I can remember. He’s not the guy to lead team bonding for obvious reasons