All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

Apparently we're the prime candidate to take on salary for future picks to facilitate trades per Jake Fischer as we'll have $30m in room and it's anticipated that a lot of other room teams already have free agent targets in mind. 

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Almost certainly nonsense but:

If the Miami Heat with all those expensive contracts, can offer Bamba a decent sized contract, the league is broken.

1 minute ago, hootie249 said:

If the Miami Heat with all those expensive contracts, can offer Bamba a decent sized contract, the league is broken.

It'd have to be a sign and trade I imagine and the only likely candidate would be Duncan Robinson who's on an increasing salary contract for the next 4 years into his age 31 season (when he'll be getting paid $19+ mil). I think they'd have to send us considerable other assets too to make it work. If they paid Bamba like 13-14 mil a season they'd probably still have enough space to use the MLE presumably to bring back PJ Tucker.

I don't see it happening anyway. Mostly because Bamba really isn't a Miami Heat type personality. 

12 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

but who would have thought Wiggins would become an integral part of a championship team?

Very true. Fair point.

CTMagicUK...if I'm remembering correctly, you're a Purdue fan and liked Caleb Swanigan when he entered the draft.  You probably saw where he died yesterday, thought you might like to read this heartbreaking story of his life.  RIP...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2022/06/21/caleb-swanigan-purdue-basketball-star-battled-demons-dies-too-young/7689361001/

7 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

but who would have thought Wiggins would become an integral part of a championship team?

I think Andrew Wiggins was a great move and I said as much when the move happened. He was the most hyped high school player since LeBron James but had none of the alpha personality.

A guy like that won’t lead a team to a championship but can be a great glue guy Who does a lot of things that don’t show up on a stat sheet, most notably play elite defense. This is one of the reasons why I’ve never put much stock into points per game. You get too many guys on a team that want the ball, and find their identity in having the ball, and you’re going to have an issue. There’s so much more to basketball than scoring and you need different guys playing different parts - particularly hard defense, as seen by this year’s two NBA Finalists. 

Wiggins is a Scottie Pippen (not that talented of course) who needs a Michael Jordan to carry the team, and always will. 

10 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

CTMagicUK...if I'm remembering correctly, you're a Purdue fan and liked Caleb Swanigan when he entered the draft.  You probably saw where he died yesterday, thought you might like to read this heartbreaking story of his life.  RIP...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2022/06/21/caleb-swanigan-purdue-basketball-star-battled-demons-dies-too-young/7689361001/

Oh man I forgot i ever brought up my flirtation with Purdue fandom on this board. 

Yea for a couple of years I was really into watching Purdue, think it started when I was in university and I'd bet against them so was  watching the game but then randomly over the course of that game convinced myself AJ Hammons would be a legit NBA big (I was young and stupid and I've always been a sucker for your old school big man even if I now recognise they're worthless in the NBA) that was like what 2014ish? And then I watched them and checked up on them pretty consistently for the next 3 or 4 years. It's over now really... I still look out for their scores and pay more attention to them than the average college teams but I think "fan" was always a strong word in retrospect. Biggie was absolutely a big part of that though he was the man at Purdue right in the center of that time and I was high on him as a prospect and player. He was unique and fun to watch in college and I was somewhat aware of his back story even back then and rooting for him to succeed.

Its all very sad and this was a pretty heartbreaking read but thanks for sharing man and good memory. 

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

We are definitely in the running for beal!!!! Omg yes!!!!!!!

He has 2 young boys and 1 kid on the way. Best place to raise a young family with disney world etc on your doorstep is orlando!!!

He is the perfect fit for SG!! 

Fultz..Beal..Franz..Pick 1... Wendell

Suggs, Cole, Chuma, Isaac, Bamba?

Eastern conference home court advantage instantly!! 

No joke we are definitely contenders for Beal!!!!!