All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

32 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I'd be surprised if we get a 1st for Ross...the Rockets could only get #26 for Christian Wood

I think that's more about not wanting to keep Wood around, wanting to get assets in this draft specifically for him to enable possible further moves and his general reputation as a less than stellar team mate. 

27 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Ross probably shouldn't get a first. If someone bites it's more about us taking back a bad contract.

Agreed. I think we overinflated the value of Ross, especially with the year he had last year. Getting an early 2nd I think is more likely, or being part of the package of 2 2nd’s and Ross to get a late 1st going to a contender. 

Kenny Atkinson curving the Hornets is one of the most shocking events in the past few years. I used to be a fan but this is a punk move and might hurt his career forever

19 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Kenny Atkinson curving the Hornets is one of the most shocking events in the past few years. I used to be a fan but this is a punk move and might hurt his career forever

Billy Donovan did it to us and it didn’t hurt him at all. It’s definitely a bad look right now, but doubt it has any long term effects on his career. I think it’s foolish to interview and hire coaches while they’re coaching in the Finals.

18 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

So I actually know some of Atkinson’s family. Some of his nieces and his brother. They’re a real “family first” family. I wonder if, after moving 3 times in 3 years, his wife / kids had really found a “home” in San Fran. Their family is also religious and I know are big fans of Curry and Kerr. I wonder if Atkinson just decided to become the top assistant under Kerr and let his family just have stability and live where they feel happy while he feels content in the position he’s in, even if it’s less money / prominence.   

I’m sure I’ll find out more info this summer when I see their family. But that’s my gut when I heard the story. 

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Ross probably shouldn't get a first. If someone bites it's more about us taking back a bad contract.

I'd argue paying Danny Green 10 million dollars when he's not going to play a game next season could qualify. 

2 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

So I actually know some of Atkinson’s family. Some of his nieces and his brother. They’re a real “family first” family. I wonder if, after moving 3 times in 3 years, his wife / kids had really found a “home” in San Fran. Their family is also religious and I know are big fans of Curry and Kerr. I wonder if Atkinson just decided to become the top assistant under Kerr and let his family just have stability and live where they feel happy while he feels content in the position he’s in, even if it’s less money / prominence.   

I’m sure I’ll find out more info this summer when I see their family. But that’s my gut when I heard the story. 

Thanks for the insight, Trey! That makes sense and sounds a reasonable decision, imo.

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'd argue paying Danny Green 10 million dollars when he's not going to play a game next season could qualify. 

Those who really know about cap and tax luxury, help me with this: Do we really need to “spend” Ross to move into 1st round?

Wouldn’t it be reasonable to think that those teams with huge payrolls and with pick by mid-late 20s be open to move down, just to not have to commit to a guaranteed rookie contract?

For instance, Denver has the 21st AND 30th… i could easily see them moving down from 30th for our 32nd, just for “salary relief”…

Or we could even pack both our 2nd picks for their 21st or even look at the Bucks or Phila for their 23rd or 24th?

And then, we would use Ross contract and other asset or take a bad contract to move further up… (I’m still dreaming with moving into mid-late lottery, so I may be biased)

What do you think?

7 minutes ago, matthi32 said:

I think we trade Ross an one of or 2nd round Pick to Memphis for Adams and the 22nd Pick.

Adams has more value than Ross alone I'd imagine.

15 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Thanks for the insight, Trey! That makes sense and sounds a reasonable decision, imo.

Those who really know about cap and tax luxury, help me with this: Do we really need to “spend” Ross to move into 1st round?

Wouldn’t it be reasonable to think that those teams with huge payrolls and with pick by mid-late 20s be open to move down, just to not have to commit to a guaranteed rookie contract?

For instance, Denver has the 21st AND 30th… i could easily see them moving down from 30th for our 32nd, just for “salary relief”…

Or we could even pack both our 2nd picks for their 21st or even look at the Bucks or Phila for their 23rd or 24th?

And then, we would use Ross contract and other asset or take a bad contract to move further up… (I’m still dreaming with moving into mid-late lottery, so I may be biased)

What do you think?

I don't think it's unreasonable that a team in the late 20s (26-30) would rather have #32 and #35 than a guaranteed rookie contract if they're facing a luxury tax bill but that's very much a case by case basis and could very well depend on who's on the board at the time. I'd imagine Heat at #27 and Warriors at #28 might fall into this but they're two organisations who have been willing to pay the luxury tax in the past so that's hardly a guarantee. After that you're probably looking at the Bucks and 76ers in the early-mid twenties and I imagine you'd have to offer more value than just a couple of 2nds for those picks. 

I don't think Denver are one of those teams considering they just acquired that #30 pick. Why trade for it if you don't want it. 

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

Right, I understand all that, but he didn’t know those things during the interview process? Just really bad timing on his part