All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

So the following guys could be available in the near future via trade or free agency, if their teams decide not to match:

Anfernee Simons

Jordan Poole

Tyler Herro

Would you throw a max at any of them? I would

I don’t know about a max but I am a huge fan of Poole and Simons.  I would be interested in a sign and trade if the price is right.

I think Jordan Poole might be causing people to be prisoners of the moment. He’s gonna get paid by someone, but I’d love to get a sample of what he can do consistently without being on one of the greatest teams with some of the greatest players in the modern era.

I don’t think I’d take Simons over any of our guards on the roster when you factor in age and potential cost.

Herro is interesting, so I guess if I had to pick between the 3 it’s him, but I’m not really jumping for joy.

Where I’m at is we have the cap space and the assets to make a move the next time a star player says get me out of here. We have to play a game of patience but we can’t be too patient because those rookie and sweetheart deals eventually run out. This off-season I don’t want Lavine and we won’t get Beal, so unless we make a move for Mitchell or something I’d rather stay put

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I don't necessarily think letting Bamba walk is indicative of other activity. It could be more about long term flexibility, not wanting to take minutes away from our draft pick (provided they're a 4 or 5) or generally thinking the team will be better without Bamba. 

Fair point. The hard part about the QO is it comes with a built in NTC.

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

You really understand the different ways we might or might not go. Great post. How we deal with Bamba, Ross, Moe and Bol Bol will really telegraph the front offices next moves. 

As a fanbase we have to be careful what we all wish for, grass always seems greener on the other side. Obviously we want them to nail the draft and actually use our second rounders to move up and get another first. But rookies need vets. You think the argument over Chet/Jabari/Banchero is bad? I can only imagine this message board arguing over who we need to get in free agency if we lose or let go all 4 players. Chaos!

I for one think we need to consolidate our guards and pick up a real point guard. Yeah we can roll out Futlz,Cole and Cannady again but sure would be better if one were replaced by a Vet. Suggs and Hampton will either never be the answer or take years to get there. They are combo guards. Sure would feel better with a Tyus jones type player on a mid tier deal. In short i just think it's unfair to our other players if Fultz goes down again. Or even when he is on the bench. If we don't get a good vet back there then we are really banking on Cole stepping up big time this year. 

Appreciate the love. I do agree that we need point guard depth behind Fultz if the plan is to try to contend now, however there is a pretty big track record of growing pains at the PG level that only get sorted out through playing time that a move like that would rob Cole and Jalen of. We’re at a bit of a crossroads here, we shouldn’t be bottom feeders anymore, but we still have to consider development on par with competing.

9 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Fair point. The hard part about the QO is it comes with a built in NTC.

Yea but a NTC can be waived right? And the players have to agree to a sign and trade anyway so I don't think that's a barrier. It'd only come into play if Bamba accepted the QO and played on it we wouldn't be able to trade him mid season without his approval. 

Congrats to Matt Lloyd taking the Minnesota job. Didn’t know he’d been here for nearly a decade. I don’t why you want someone who has been head of player evaluation for the team with the worst record in the NBA over the last 10 years, but happy to see him wanted and find success. Good luck!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34032714/sources-orlando-magic-executive-matt-lloyd-minnesota-timberwolves-senior-vp-basketball-operations

Crazy timing for us considering the decision we're about to make.

Very interested to see if we make an outside hire to replace Lloyd or hire from within. Lloyd was the #3 guy in our FO and head of all our scouting. If we promoted from within I'd guess it'd be Anthony Parker that took over scouting (Pete D'Alllesandro is more of a cap guy I think) but he's only been an Assistant GM for like a year (was previously the GM of Lakeland and did a great job there but not sure if that qualifies him to be head of scouting for an NBA team). Becky Bonner seems like a rising star so to speak so I could maybe see her take on more responsibility but not sure she has the scouting experience you'd want either plus she's Director of Player Development and I'd imagine you'd want to maintain stability there given development is going to be just as important for our future as scouting. Maybe we have a scout who we think is ready to take the step up? 

All this to say I have no idea what will happen but it'll be really interesting to find out. Hopefully this isn't too big of a spanner in the works.

The Wolves must be paying a lot because it's unclear whether this is a promotion for Lloyd given they have Connelly and Gupta already in place, conflicting reports on whether Gupta is essentially being demoted to #3 or whether Lloyd is going in as the #3 guy.

The T'Wolves pick at #19 might threaten any trade up plans we might have had to get back into the 20s though if you consider Lloyd will probably have his eyes on similar guys in that range. 

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Crazy timing for us considering the decision we're about to make.

Very interested to see if we make an outside hire to replace Lloyd or hire from within. Lloyd was the #3 guy in our FO and head of all our scouting. If we promoted from within I'd guess it'd be Anthony Parker that took over scouting (Pete D'Alllesandro is more of a cap guy I think) but he's only been an Assistant GM for like a year (was previously the GM of Lakeland and did a great job there but not sure if that qualifies him to be head of scouting for an NBA team). Becky Bonner seems like a rising star so to speak so I could maybe see her take on more responsibility but not sure she has the scouting experience you'd want either plus she's Director of Player Development and I'd imagine you'd want to maintain stability there given development is going to be just as important for our future as scouting. Maybe we have a scout who we think is ready to take the step up? 

All this to say I have no idea what will happen but it'll be really interesting to find out. Hopefully this isn't too big of a spanner in the works.

The Wolves must be paying a lot because it's unclear whether this is a promotion for Lloyd given they have Connelly and Gupta already in place, conflicting reports on whether Gupta is essentially being demoted to #3 or whether Lloyd is going in as the #3 guy.

The T'Wolves pick at #19 might threaten any trade up plans we might have had to get back into the 20s though if you consider Lloyd will probably have his eyes on similar guys in that range. 

You know this front office I think better than any other forum member I think lol

14 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

You know this front office I think better than any other forum member I think lol

I just hate my job and read a lot of random stuff all day lol. 

Plus I'm a big draft guy and it helps to be familiar with our front office guys to try and narrow down the type of guys they prefer. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Looking at teams with decent sized TPEs that might be Bamba S&T destinations, Brooklyn maybe? 

What about T. Ross? He is one of the firsts (good guy) that have to be traded....I think he could be moved draft day.  The teams that need him wants him to be there when training camp opens and we "don't" want him when training camp opens as well.

10 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

What about T. Ross? He is one of the firsts (good guy) that have to be traded....I think he could be moved draft day.  The teams that need him wants him to be there when training camp opens and we "don't" want him when training camp opens as well.

Yea I think we'll at least field calls for him on draft day. Difficult to find an obvious taker for him. He's kind of a beauty in the eye of the beholder guy at the moment because he had a rough season last year so hard to gauge his value. Plus there aren't many 12+ mil deals out there for matching salary where you look at the player and immediately think "I'd rather have T Ross than him and a 2nd round pick" (for example) and the ones that you do think that are horrible contracts we'd be unlikely to want to trade for. 

EDIT: our best chance might to be get involved in a bigger deal where we take back 2 or 3 contracts and picks and a contender gets Ross as a throw in they think might help them.