All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

22 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

I feel like we have a group of players that have great chemistry and embrace hard work. 

I believe this hard work, mixed with being healthy is going to lead to a big jump in production next year for multiple players. However I think the most notably jump will be from Markelle. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibles for him to win MIP next year. 

I know hope springs eternal, but I’ve heard similar sentiments many times over many summers these past 12 years or so.  It never seems to come true.  I won’t believe it until I see it. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

For us to do a sign & trade with Bamba I think we would have to offer him the Qualifying Offer, which for him is almost the same as the full MLE ($10.1M v. $10.3M). There are only about four other teams with Cap Space to offer him more than that. There are only a few others that could even offer the full MLE. I'm just not sure there is a market for Bamba to get that. I think if we want him, we offer the QO, but try to get him a multi-year for something like 4/$36 with team options and/or non-guaranteed in years 3-4. I just don't see how you go much more than that for him. I think we're bidding against ourselves there. If he won't sign for the 4/$36, we let him play the one year on the QO as a "make or break" year. If someone else actually offers more, we have a decision to make; I just don't see it happening. 

Bol's QO is only about $2.7M. I think that might be worth doing on a make/break. I think we offer him something in the 4/$10, again with team options/health clauses, probably non-guaranteed in years 3-4; and if someone offers him more, you let him walk. 

Wagner - I agree, you guarantee this deal, as the value is obvious.

Good points. But with a sign and trade the team wouldn't need cap space to offer Bamba. Hence every team becomes an option and I expect he'll get something in the 10-14 mil range. 

Be very surprised if we go 4 years for Bol if we keep him. I was thinking a deal similar to the Mo Wagner one where its first year guaranteed second year not. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Good points. But with a sign and trade the team wouldn't need cap space to offer Bamba. Hence every team becomes an option and I expect he'll get something in the 10-14 mil range. 

Be very surprised if we go 4 years for Bol if we keep him. I was thinking a deal similar to the Mo Wagner one where its first year guaranteed second year not. 

We mostly agree. I don’t know that MoB wants to go elsewhere, so not sure how motivated he will be to find another deal to “force management’s hand”, but we will see.

You might be right on the Bol option, 1st year guarantee with 2nd year option is possible, but at that point wouldn’t it be in his best interest to take the QO and become a free agent?

5 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

We mostly agree. I don’t know that MoB wants to go elsewhere, so not sure how motivated he will be to find another deal to “force management’s hand”, but we will see.

You might be right on the Bol option, 1st year guarantee with 2nd year option is possible, but at that point wouldn’t it be in his best interest to take the QO and become a free agent?

I don't know if we'll extended the QO tbh. Can't imagine the market for him will be big.

10 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I know hope springs eternal, but I’ve heard similar sentiments many times over many summers these past 12 years or so.  It never seems to come true.  I won’t believe it until I see it. 

Agreed it was been said a lot over the last 12 years. However, those previous players don’t have the pedigree and potential of Fultz. And when it has been said about Fultz specifically, it’s be unrealistic because of injury. This is Fultz’s first off-season in the NBA where he’s not rehabbing/recovering from an injury. 

Apparently he’s feeling great and working hard on his game. 

These factors, plus him being 23 years old this year is what gives me confidence. 

The Bamba stuff will be interesting because it’ll give us an idea of what direction we’re heading from the FO. Let him walk, and we’re looking for a swing in FA this year, bring him in on the QO, we’re gonna continue to build organically and maintain cap space for another year. Sign him long term and they like the core and are gonna let it grow together.

I’m not sure if Mo is anything more than a streaky shooting, shot blocking back up in this league with a frustrating motor. I’d be okay letting him go, knowing full well he could become a regret if he eventually figures it all out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The Bamba stuff will be interesting because it’ll give us an idea of what direction we’re heading from the FO. Let him walk, and we’re looking for a swing in FA this year, bring him in on the QO, we’re gonna continue to build organically and maintain cap space for another year. Sign him long term and they like the core and are gonna let it grow together.

I’m not sure if Mo is anything more than a streaky shooting, shot blocking back up in this league with a frustrating motor. I’d be okay letting him go, knowing full well he could become a regret if he eventually figures it all out.

You really understand the different ways we might or might not go. Great post. How we deal with Bamba, Ross, Moe and Bol Bol will really telegraph the front offices next moves. 

As a fanbase we have to be careful what we all wish for, grass always seems greener on the other side. Obviously we want them to nail the draft and actually use our second rounders to move up and get another first. But rookies need vets. You think the argument over Chet/Jabari/Banchero is bad? I can only imagine this message board arguing over who we need to get in free agency if we lose or let go all 4 players. Chaos!

I for one think we need to consolidate our guards and pick up a real point guard. Yeah we can roll out Futlz,Cole and Cannady again but sure would be better if one were replaced by a Vet. Suggs and Hampton will either never be the answer or take years to get there. They are combo guards. Sure would feel better with a Tyus jones type player on a mid tier deal. In short i just think it's unfair to our other players if Fultz goes down again. Or even when he is on the bench. If we don't get a good vet back there then we are really banking on Cole stepping up big time this year. 

So the following guys could be available in the near future via trade or free agency, if their teams decide not to match:

Anfernee Simons

Jordan Poole

Tyler Herro

Would you throw a max at any of them? I would

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I don't necessarily think letting Bamba walk is indicative of other activity. It could be more about long term flexibility, not wanting to take minutes away from our draft pick (provided they're a 4 or 5) or generally thinking the team will be better without Bamba. 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

So the following guys could be available in the near future via trade or free agency, if their teams decide not to match:

Anfernee Simons

Jordan Poole

Tyler Herro

I wouldn't.

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Anfernee Simons

Jordan Poole

Tyler Herro

I don't think I would. They are all productive shooting/combo guards, but I don't know that any of them are max-level worthy. Also, as the difference between how this team played with/without Fultz shows, we are much more in need of consistent, good PG play than almost anything else. Of the three, I like Simons the best, and Poole a close second. Herro would be a distant three, even if he weren't a Miami Heat guy.