All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

4 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Vuc and Aminu contracts were not that friendly! :P

17m/year for players that have not really proven to be top ones like Fultz and Isaac, with their troubling injury history, doesn't seem cheap either to me honestly, even if I like both of them.

Like All Eyes wrote, it's easier to pay less when you're dealing with players that are willing to do that and in the situation we have been in the last couple seasons.

Vuc was an all star center and the best player on a playoff team who we traded for WCJ, Franz and a future pick. That was one of the best deals Weltman has given out, not to mention it declined every year. Revisionist history to suggest that's an over pay. 

Aminu was fine if he didn't get injured. It was the MLE, literally every team in the league has multiple guys on that amount of money. 

Again, we have to spend this money anyway, there's no point in being under the cap, if we didn't pay Isaac or Fultz we'd have had to overpay whatever free agent took their roster spots (and guys weren't exactly queueing up to come here). 17m a year is not a lot of money in the NBA, it's not top guy money at all. 78 players make 18mil or more a season. 

• Like 1

Dang. Well don by Cavs. On first blush I would have made that trade, but thinking about it I don’t know how exactly those assets would look coming from Orlando’s roster. Realistically the Cavs are a bit ahead of us in rebuilding so it made more sense for them

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Dang. Well don by Cavs. On first blush I would have made that trade, but thinking about it I don’t know how exactly those assets would look coming from Orlando’s roster. Realistically the Cavs are a bit ahead of us in rebuilding so it made more sense for them

I agree with your assessment on the Cavs being ahead in their rebuild. If this was 2023 and we knew both Banchero and Wagner are stars for sure I would have gone all in on Mitchell.  I just hope a guard like him will be available when Orlando does go all in. There aren’t many players as good as him available each year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Vuc was an all star center and the best player on a playoff team who we traded for WCJ, Franz and a future pick. That was one of the best deals Weltman has given out, not to mention it declined every year. Revisionist history to suggest that's an over pay. 

Aminu was fine if he didn't get injured. It was the MLE, literally every team in the league has multiple guys on that amount of money. 

Again, we have to spend this money anyway, there's no point in being under the cap, if we didn't pay Isaac or Fultz we'd have had to overpay whatever free agent took their roster spots (and guys weren't exactly queueing up to come here). 17m a year is not a lot of money in the NBA, it's not top guy money at all. 78 players make 18mil or more a season. 

I respect your opinion, but:

1) My take of Vuc is not revisionist history, you can check my message history and you'll notice that I were always against such a contract.

2) Aminu one was completely absurd, doesn't matter if it was MLE or not. We had to include him in the Vuc deal to get free of him.

3) At that point (Vuc & co.) we absolutely hadn't to spend that money anyway. And now, you don't overpay just for the sake of, especially in long term contracts. Cap space gives you the possibility to absorb other contracts and gain assets, something that is more useful than just filling the cap because of the rule you correctly mentioned. 17m a year is still a lot for injured players that have a lot to prove.

P.S. Germany has won first competitive game against France, finalist of the last Olympics