All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

The care in the game Threads have all but died, and there’s only 7 games left, so let’s talk off-season!

Unrestricted Free Agents

Gary Harris, Robin Lopez

Restricted Free Agents

Mo Bamba, Bol Bol

Draft Picks

1st round - our own (will fall anywhere between 1-8)

2nd round - our own and Indiana 

Projected lineup going into 22/23

Fultz/Suggs/Franz/Isaac/Carter

Cole/RJ/Ross/Okeke/Moe

Needs: Shooting Guard, backup big, Veterans, a Power Forward that can stay on the floor

Key Dates

May 17th - Draft Lottery

June 23rd - NBA Draft

August 2nd - Free Agency begins

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I’m on watch for us making a big move. I know the hot debate is tanking and if Chet can hold up, but I’d be ok with trading our first. Something like Ross, RJ, 22 first and whatever other picks it takes for Donovan Mitchell?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’m on watch for us making a big move. I know the hot debate is tanking and if Chet can hold up, but I’d be ok with trading our first. Something like Ross, RJ, 22 first and whatever other picks it takes for Donovan Mitchell?

I would to, but what about Utah? :P

I honestly don't expect a lot of changes, FO will still need to evaluate that young core...

7 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I don’t think any young star will be available for what we’d have to offer. Jaylen Brown is the only guy who comes to mind but this draft is just not that attractive in terms of prospects.

7 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I don’t think any young star will be available for what we’d have to offer. Jaylen Brown is the only guy who comes to mind but this draft is just not that attractive in terms of prospects.

Lol. Scratch that. Just saw Boston has now climbed to first in the East.

18 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Unrestricted Free Agents
Gary Harris, Robin Lopez

Restricted Free Agents
Mo Bamba, Bol Bol

Draft Picks
Needs: Shooting Guard, backup big, Veterans, a Power Forward that can stay on the floor

Key Dates

May 17th - Draft Lottery
June 23rd - NBA Draft

So in  order of my desires/wishes as to answers on these:

UFA - Resign Harris: I hope we can get him at a reasonable contract. If not let him walk. 4yr/30-35 mil though he might be able to pull a 4yr/50 from someone.
I dont mind resigning Lopez to a Vet min contract

RFA - Mo Bamba: I am so torn on him. A SIGN-N-TRADE would be my desire unless he takes a reasonable 6-7 mil a yr contract but i think someone is gonna offer him a 12mil somewhere cause they are idiots. Bol Bol i have no idea what to do there.

I guess the big question for me is how many more years before we're at least a 500 team??

It might depend a little bit on the draft although that's a total crapshoot.  I put much less weight on it than most of the rest of you.

I'm thinking at least 3 more years of being sub 500 and possibly longer.

19 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The care in the game Threads have all but died, and there’s only 7 games left, so let’s talk off-season!

Unrestricted Free Agents

Gary Harris, Robin Lopez

Restricted Free Agents

Mo Bamba, Bol Bol

Draft Picks

1st round - our own (will fall anywhere between 1-8)

2nd round - our own and Indiana 

Projected lineup going into 22/23

Fultz/Suggs/Franz/Isaac/Carter

Cole/RJ/Ross/Okeke/Moe

Key Dates

May 17th - Draft Lottery

June 23rd - NBA Draft

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

So in  order of my desires/wishes as to answers on these:

UFA - Resign Harris: I hope we can get him at a reasonable contract. If not let him walk. 4yr/30-35 mil though he might be able to pull a 4yr/50 from someone.
I dont mind resigning Lopez to a Vet min contract

RFA - Mo Bamba: I am so torn on him. A SIGN-N-TRADE would be my desire unless he takes a reasonable 6-7 mil a yr contract but i think someone is gonna offer him a 12mil somewhere cause they are idiots. Bol Bol i have no idea what to do there.

I think Harris has played himself into a decent contract offer from us, or from someone else. I doubt he pulls less than 4yr/55M - if we can lock him in for that or less, I think we need to - hopefully our front office can pull off another of their declining contract deals out of the hat for GHarris (14.5,14,13.5,13 works). I think if we can get Lopez to re-sign for $5M again, I say we have to consider it. We can guarantee Moe Wagner's second year of his contract for about $1.9M, which I think is worth doing. As a bench guy who can play some backup PF/C, who plays tough, and frequently picks up fouls from opposing bigs by getting under their skin, and occasionally can go off on a shooting tear, he's worth that. Plus that kind of contract is good to have as a salary filler for trades if you need it. 

To retain Bamba as a restricted free agent requires us to make a Qualifying offer of about $10.1 by the day after the finals (June 20 if the finals go 7 games); I doubt we go that high for him, but you never know. I would prefer to make Bamba a lower offer, and if he won't take it, let him become unrestricted. I'm not sure anyone is going to offer him more than the QO, and I personally don't think he is worth that due to his inconsistency. We could still potentially sign him as an unrestricted free agent once the market "speaks" on his value. Bol Bol's qualifying offer would be about $2.7M. I also have no idea what to do about Bol. I doubt we make Qualifying Offers to anyone before the draft lottery, as knowing where we are drafting could give us a lot of information on what players might be available. For example, if we are picking 1-3, we probably are less inclined to make a qualifying offer to either of the bigs. If we are picking 4-8, then the decision is more difficult, but at least you have some idea of who probably won't be available to draft. 

So, if you re-sign Harris, Lopez, and guarantee M Wagner as above, you now have 12 roster spots filled. Your first round pick brings you to 13, and if we are lucky enough to get the #1 pick, still would leave you about $5.5M under the cap, unless you have tied up Bamba or Bol. Bamba probably means cutting into the Mid-Level Exception of $10.264M, leaving only a portion to pick up a solid veteran for roster spot #15; Bol still leaves you the full MLE.  Hopefully you use the two second-round picks on potential 2-Way players, or if one of them really shows well, you might give him the minimum for that 15th spot and just go with Ross/Harris/Lopez again as your vets. Personally, I kind of hope we don't keep Bamba or Bol, but instead look to use the full-MLE on another, quality veteran.

If Indiana would go for it, maybe use Ross in a Sign and Trade for TJ Warren if you can get him in the $15-16M per year range. Throw in a future second and/or Hampton if they are interested. Gets them a young player (or two), a serviceable backup veteran in Ross who is on an expiring contract that they might be able to move later for a player who might otherwise walk away. Just a few ideas. 

23 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

If Indiana would go for it, maybe use Ross in a Sign and Trade for TJ Warren if you can get him in the $15-16M per year range. Throw in a future second and/or Hampton if they are interested. Gets them a young player (or two), a serviceable backup veteran in Ross who is on an expiring contract that they might be able to move later for a player who might otherwise walk away. Just a few ideas. 

Warren has played about as many games as Isaac over the last 2 years.  After the Grant Hill and Isaac signings, I guess if anyone would give someone with bad wheels a contract like that, it would be us.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Has anyone else noticed how terrible Ross has been this year? His stats are awful. Doubt he has any value [sigh]

A lot of us were asking for receive something in return more than one year ago, before the deadline, if i remember correctly. He had value at that time... and we were already trading Vuch & co.  Only value he has now is less money on the contract...

On 3/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, All Eyes On Me said:

DNEObI.gif>>>    bEgo53.png

I am really surprised and shocked at this. In all my years of being a member of TBN message board, I don't ever remember a year when the amount of participation with comments in the game threads was at this level. Through all the lean/losing years, the participation was at a robust level, and I think that because members were what you might call "arm chair coaches", I think that the game threads were being read by players and the front office. An example was when board members were calling for Gordon, Fournier and Vucevic to be traded.

There are thousands of registered TBN board members and non board members, and I don't think it's fair to fans who are not members of this board, who read the comments during games, to take away from them something that they enjoy doing.

Just about all of the active participants have disappeared from making comments on this board. I know that the NCAA mens and womens March madness tournaments have something to do with it, but I don't ever remember comments by participants ever being this low--never, ever--nearing the end of the season.

There are fans out there who want to read your opinions or analyses about what is going on in the game. Because this is what they/we do. I can envision some disappointed fans out there, young and old (including myself).

That's like telling little Mikey or little Suzy to give up on something they are passionate about.

I will continue to prepare, post, and watch the games.

GO MAGIC! 

x9GQCd.gif

• Upvote 1