All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

10 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

Knicks taking heat for not doing a deal, but it might actually benefit them. I don’t see the line up - Brunson, Mitchell, Barrett (if he wasn’t traded), Randle and Robinson - competing for and wining a championship. 

In a sense it would be similar to us having done a deal for Mitchell. He’d be a hell of an addition, but we aren’t competing for a championship yet. At least in Cleveland he’s got a young all star backcourt partner and two young all star quality front court players. Only position missing an all star caliber talent is small forward. Worth the risk for Cleveland if it works out because they’ve got the talent to compete for the east with his addition.

9 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I wonder if Utah would take a pick or a player for Agbaji? I wanted to draft him! Maybe RJ?

Lol. Think this is wishful thinking. RJ has no value right now. Agbaji was just a lottery pick.

11 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

I respect your opinion, but:

1) My take of Vuc is not revisionist history, you can check my message history and you'll notice that I were always against such a contract.

2) Aminu one was completely absurd, doesn't matter if it was MLE or not. We had to include him in the Vuc deal to get free of him.

3) At that point (Vuc & co.) we absolutely hadn't to spend that money anyway. And now, you don't overpay just for the sake of, especially in long term contracts. Cap space gives you the possibility to absorb other contracts and gain assets, something that is more useful than just filling the cap because of the rule you correctly mentioned. 17m a year is still a lot for injured players that have a lot to prove.

P.S. Germany has won first competitive game against France, finalist of the last Olympics

1. Whether it was your opinion at the time or not I think it's absurd to believe that wasn't a good contract. The contract was so bad that Chicago gave up a bunch of stuff and took on Aminu to acquire it. 

2. When we gave him the deal he'd just come off being a starter on a deep playoff team and was coming here to be a bench PF. That's fine. It didn't work out due to injury (and possibly fit pre injury) but it's nothing to even care about. If it was that bad a deal we wouldn't have been able to get rid of it in the Vuc trade. 

3. I'd argue it was more important to pay Isaac and Fultz when Vuc and co were around because we were already tight for cap space and assets (we could go over the cap for extensions) and realistically Isaac and Fultz were the only guys who could raise that teams ceiling. We have had plenty of cap space in spite of the Fultz and Isaac contracts this past summer and we'll be able to get to max room again next summer. Their contracts haven't hindered us making other moves at all. 

I think that the Mitchell trade definitely puts Cleveland in the playoffs. It probably also puts Chicago in the play in or worse increasing the value of their pick next year. Boom

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think that Mitchell will do well on the Cavs. I think the Knicks were right not to trade for him. I think the players gone in the trade are fine for both sides. I think the draft compensation is bad and something has got to give. Ainge started this craziness way back for the original Nets picks. Lot's of great players were traded the last decade for far less and without fully unprotected picks. Trust me, this is bad for the league and will be addressed in the next CBA which is next year.

Y'know I actually feel like if everything brakes right we might only be a year or two away from where the Cavs are (a promising young team pushing some chips in to try to be a real contender). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Y'know I actually feel like if everything brakes right we might only be a year or two away from where the Cavs are (a promising young team pushing some chips in to try to be a real contender). 

I actually feel like if a few things break right we will be at that stage. I think we have some very positive things going for us right now. Our front office made some very underrated moves the first couple of years to bring in talented players whose stock fell due to injury, much like Philly did with Embiid. I'm sorry to see Gary Harris out with another injury right now, but if we can get these young guys healthy, I think we have a lot of remaining developmental upside for a lot of players. I don't think they all have to hit, but if a couple of them do, we should be in good shape. I feel like they knew they weren't going to get far with the players they "inherited", but instead of dumping them and starting from scratch, they tried to build them up so they could get some value out of them. The only remaining piece from those teams is T Ross. I feel like this might be the year we really begin to see the results of their "slow, but steady" plan to build a long-term, good team. Not a one or two season wonder, but a positive, team-building culture. 

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

I actually feel like if a few things break right we will be at that stage. I think we have some very positive things going for us right now. Our front office made some very underrated moves the first couple of years to bring in talented players whose stock fell due to injury, much like Philly did with Embiid. I'm sorry to see Gary Harris out with another injury right now, but if we can get these young guys healthy, I think we have a lot of remaining developmental upside for a lot of players. I don't think they all have to hit, but if a couple of them do, we should be in good shape. I feel like they knew they weren't going to get far with the players they "inherited", but instead of dumping them and starting from scratch, they tried to build them up so they could get some value out of them. The only remaining piece from those teams is T Ross. I feel like this might be the year we really begin to see the results of their "slow, but steady" plan to build a long-term, good team. Not a one or two season wonder, but a positive, team-building culture. 

So, the expectations this year are to fight to make the play-in as a # 10 seed?  

Can't think we can out do these 9:  Heat, Celtics, Bucks, 76ers, Raptors, Bulls, Nets, Hawks, Cavs.

Still don’t understand why there is no information about how Harris got injured.  This is taking secrecy to a new level, keeping fans in the dark for no clear reason.  

9 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

So, the expectations this year are to fight to make the play-in as a # 10 seed?  

Can't think we can out do these 9:  Heat, Celtics, Bucks, 76ers, Raptors, Bulls, Nets, Hawks, Cavs.

I think a realistic expectation for this year is to win 35 games (or more), but more importantly, to remain healthy, and be competitive, even in the games that we lose. In a perfect world where every single player is healthy and available for every single team and every single game, we probably are fighting to make the play-in. I think that is mainly due to our youth. As we all know, injuries among your top 5-6 players can have a huge impact on where your team stands. Last year was especially bad for us from a health/injury standpoint. No Isaac all year, no Fultz for 60+ games, Suggs out for 25+, and having to depend on RJ and G-League players for backup PG was especially tough. My biggest disappointment of the offseason is that we did not pick up a veteran, backup PG, even if he would just end up on the end of the bench. 

On 9/1/2022 at 7:53 AM, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I'd rather keep Fultz and hope he stays healthy. Without him at the helm, I think our team turns into a backyard ball kind of situation with little organization and a lot of selfish play.

• Like 1