All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

14 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I'm no doctor, but visual logic told me that he was a very big injury risk. He's all skin and bones.

I was blinded by his talent. To the point of denying risks. You were absolutely right about him. Well done, mate

saw the latest video of JI from the story on OMD. Not sure the video is new. I would like it to be, but I'm just surprised since he's not wearing anything around the knee. I know its been 2 years, but most people still have some hesitation and still wear that knee brace or knee sleeve for many years after (during exercise, maybe not in life)

3 hours ago, hootie249 said:

It's funny, even though we have not had a max contract on the books in awhile, the Magic have been near the cap most of the last decade.

There's no reason not to be. Any money under the salary floor (90% of the salary cap) is paid out to the rest of your roster equally I believe. 

On 8/30/2022 at 1:58 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Considering what RJ Barrett just got paid there's no way we're not going to end up giving Franz the max. 

So far this FO has been able to get the players sign friendly contracts for the team....so far. I expect that to continue although we know it is unavoidable to keep everybody plus 2 more firsts next year and add a good free agent too. 

8 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

So far this FO has been able to get the players sign friendly contracts for the team....so far. I expect that to continue although we know it is unavoidable to keep everybody plus 2 more firsts next year and add a good free agent too. 

While they have been able to do that so far, they’ve done it with guys like Wendell, Markelle and JI who have plenty of reasons to sign team friendly deals. If Franz continues to build off what he did last year, he’s getting the max, and deserves every bit of it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Vuc and Aminu contracts were not that friendly! :P

17m/year for players that have not really proven to be top ones like Fultz and Isaac, with their troubling injury history, doesn't seem cheap either to me honestly, even if I like both of them.

Like All Eyes wrote, it's easier to pay less when you're dealing with players that are willing to do that and in the situation we have been in the last couple seasons.

• Upvote 1

Orlando Magic Receive: F Doug McDermott, G/F Devin Vassell 

San Antonio Spurs Receive: G Markelle Fultz

A lot of this trade is dependent on ones perception of Fultz as a long-term answer at point guard. It can vary depending on perspective. One executive may see him as too limited of a shooter to fit alongside top talent. Others may see potential.  

Fultz displayed legitimate success using his forceful ability to drive the lane to finish at the rim or make plays for his teammates. However, he took more shot attempts out of post-ups than spot-up and largely remains an inefficient scorer within the half-court. 

There is a case to be made that acquiring Fultz, in general, would be a risk worth taking for the Spurs given the complementary nature of their top players' skill-sets. Having a talent that can create quality shots for others would maximize things overall. 

Where a potential issue comes into play is the cost. Vassell showed real progression during his sophomore campaign. He is still only 22 and is coming off a season averaging 12.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, and 1.9 assists. 

With a pathway to greater opportunities following the Murray trade, it wouldn't be ideal for the Spurs to part with Vassell before he can showcase a potentially expanded game. 

Parting with Doug McDermott shouldn't be a problem and his $13.75 million would account for the greatest contributor toward salary matching Fultz's $16.5 million salary. If there could be a trade agreement reached by using a different asset other than Vassell, it could be a risk worth taking.

https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/san-antonio-markelle-fultz-orlando-magic-trade-devin-vassell-doug-mcdermott

yes please

39 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I think if this happened I would have to call for the firing of WeltHam. Fultz showed in his 20 games at the end of the season that he can be the engine that makes this team run, and some indication of why he was a #1 pick. I like Vassell, but I don't think he has the impact on teammates that Fultz has shown. You can have all the shooting in the world, but if you don't have the guy to get your shooters the ball in the right place and at the right time it all will come to naught. Fultz just seems to make the game easier for everyone else on the floor. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Vuc and Aminu contracts were not that friendly! :P

17m/year for players that have not really proven to be top ones like Fultz and Isaac, with their troubling injury history, doesn't seem cheap either to me honestly, even if I like both of them.

Like All Eyes wrote, it's easier to pay less when you're dealing with players that are willing to do that and in the situation we have been in the last couple seasons.

Well said.....

At the end of the day, can't worry too much about this.

Camp is around the corner.....buying my opening game ticket today.