All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

19 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Poole’s had one good year from what I can see, and his percentages are just okay. I don’t consider him elite, and I’m not sure I see him as a future all-star. Obviously, I could be wrong. I’d be fine adding him at a decent price, I just don’t want to overpay him, which we’d likely have to do.

Yea, his third year in the league, us giving him big money next summer would presumably be dependent on him backing that up again this year and having an as good or better season.

60% TS, 45/36/93 shooting split on huge 3 point volume and a decent amount of versatility (30% of his 3s are unassisted). Shoots 68% at the rim. Those are all pretty great. 

The new TV deal will rocket the cap again shortly by all accounts. The 2025 salary cap could end up being as high as $171m apparently, so a contract we give Poole in 2023 will be a much more palatable deal in 2025 and beyond (for reference a 26m deal under a 171m cap is the equivalent of like an 18m deal under the current 123m cap)

I'm not advocating for a full max for Poole (unless he's like an actual all star this season in which case it probably wouldn't matter anyway and Golden State would move heaven and earth to keep him) but a 4/110 deal or something would be hard to match for Golden State and probably worth it for us in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I actually am somewhere in the middle of these opinions. I think Poole is a good young guy with plenty of upside remaining, but I’m not sure about multiple all-star appearances in his future. His spotty defense concerns me as well. I’m actually anxious to see if G Harris is finally back after years of injuries. At 27-28 he should be entering his prime. I’m also anxious to see what Suggs can give us. 

To be clear I don't necessarily think Poole will be a multi time all star or anything either. But plenty of players impact winning on playoff teams and get paid a lot of money for doing it without being a perennial all star. Jrue Holiday is going to make ~$300m in career earnings and he has 1 all star appearance (this isn't in anyway a comparison between Holiday and Poole)

• Upvote 1

Also I should be clear my hope for adding Poole is very dependent on us looking like a legit competent team this season and both Paolo and Franz showing serious star potential. 

29 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Won't have to wait long into the season to see the Hawks.

Personally, I hope Paolo puts Murray on the floor on his a--, and Murray gets the call for blocking. I'm not averse to committing a hard foul on him either, just to shut him up. I'd love to see Murray try that stuff with WCJ! (Larry Bird would have laid him out!)

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Poole’s had one good year from what I can see, and his percentages are just okay. I don’t consider him elite, and I’m not sure I see him as a future all-star. Obviously, I could be wrong. I’d be fine adding him at a decent price, I just don’t want to overpay him, which we’d likely have to do.

I agree, and another doubt is: is he a product of the GS system, surrounded by gret players? Will he be able to stay at that level when defenses will focus more on him and not in Curry/Klay etc?

3 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I agree, and another doubt is: is he a product of the GS system, surrounded by gret players? Will he be able to stay at that level when defenses will focus more on him and not in Curry/Klay etc?

This is why I feel this way:

18 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Also I should be clear my hope for adding Poole is very dependent on us looking like a legit competent team this season and both Paolo and Franz showing serious star potential. 

Jordan Poole as your best player would be bad. Jordan Poole as your third or fourth (WCJ) best player could be very good. 

21 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Actually it was a pretty good year and what i like about it is how much he improved. Just like Suggs, he had horrific shooting percentages his first year and a half. Then he lead the league in free throw percentage last year. Yes his other numbers were not crazy good but watching him tells you is he started making catch and shoot,off the dribble and around the rim shots. He expanded his game. Poole gives me hope for Suggs, you don't have to come out of the gate perfect. You work to get better.

4 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Case Study: Harrison Barnes

• Like 2

Schedule is out and it looks brutal. First home game is against the Celtics on a back to back. Paolo is soon going to understand how Orlando is a melting pot, when he sees the arena full of green.

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I agree the schedule is mad. There's a stretch of about 15 games of playoff teams that starts at the end of November. Brutal.

They should only schedule lottery teams to play other lottery teams, to be fair.

• Upvote 1