All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

On 8/12/2022 at 4:29 PM, jmmagicfan said:

I wasn't comparing Franz to how AG has played in Denver, but to how he played while he was here in Orlando. Frankly, AG was supposed to be a bigger focus of the team, and an integral part of the rebuild. AG had some good games offensively, and some really good defensive games, but never put it all together to become a consistent contributor. AG kept showing us occasional flashes of the player we hoped he could be, but never seemed to have what it takes to put it all together. Maybe getting robbed in the dunk contest twice got into his head? Maybe he didn't/doesn't have the BBIQ to make the leap? Who knows. I think we gave him the time to prove himself, and then moved on. 

Franz had a very productive season, and was reasonably consistent for a rookie. He seems to play within the team concept, and has good shooting and passing technique. I already rank both of those as better than AG. I also think his BBIQ is higher than AG's. His team defense is about par with AG; although he isn't as athletic, his communication and positioning offsets that. AG is by far the better one-on-one defender, when he focuses on that. 

Is Franz better that AG right now? I think so, but it isn't a slam dunk - yet. Is Franz already better than AG was in his first 2-3 years in the league? Not only do I think so, but in my opinion, it isn't even close. Can Franz continue to build on his rookie season, and take the next step or two to become an All-Star? Obviously we can't know that, but I hope so and I have seen some positive indicators in his rookie season. What are the odds this far into his career that AG can/will take that next step or two to become a consistent contributor and an All-Star? I'm thinking they are fairly slim. 

He also played on our playoff team even if they were both first round exits.  But I am no AG supporter, I thought he was a reach when we drafted him.  I was just saying that I need to see more Franz.  I am happy he is on our team and how we acquired him.  I thank you for saying you see a slim chance he is an all star because I've heard people bumping JI or WCJ because he must be in the starting line-up.  I also agree his BBIQ is way above AG's and that is mainly because he just does his job and doesn't play hero ball.  

22 hours ago, hootie249 said:

This will be a rumor i think for one reason. The other four rebuilding teams that could have massive cap space have drafted a ton of guards. Rockets,Spurs,Pistons and Pacers are just chock full of recently drafted guards. I don't think that would stop them from bidding if he really looks good this year. Anyhow, it's bull**** just like CT posted. Yes we probably need a shooting guard more then anything else. That is where the rumor is coming from. I do think that Wiggins and Poole will be all the talk next offseason. I expect the Warriors to extend one of them before free agency even hits.

Also there's the Michigan connection. Our FO for some reason loved Michigan guys. 

29 minutes ago, MagicBucc said:

He also played on our playoff team even if they were both first round exits.  But I am no AG supporter, I thought he was a reach when we drafted him.  I was just saying that I need to see more Franz.  I am happy he is on our team and how we acquired him.  I thank you for saying you see a slim chance he is an all star because I've heard people bumping JI or WCJ because he must be in the starting line-up.  I also agree his BBIQ is way above AG's and that is mainly because he just does his job and doesn't play hero ball.  

I think you mis-read that part. I said the chance of AG taking that next step or two to become an All-Star is a slim chance. I actually think Franz has a better chance, maybe 60/40 that he can/does. I think Franz is in our starting line-up at SF, with Banchero at the PF and WCJ at center. I expect that they will ease JI back in by bringing him off the bench playing 15-20 minutes per game until he is back in game shape; after all, he hasn't played in a couple of years.

I think we have quite a traffic jam in our front court when/if everyone is healthy - you have Banchero, JI, WCJ, Bamba, Bol, M Wagner and possibly Okeke all trying to find playing time as PF/C. I don't really see any of them except Okeke being able to slide down to the SF role. I think you will see Ross, Okeke, and Houstan all playing some backup at the SF. 

I don't think Aaron Gordon ever really had the mindset to be better and i think he will go down as the tweener he was described as in the draft. I was a huge AG fan when we drafted him, but jumped ship halfway through his career.

Was he set up for success here? Probably not. But i will say when i actually went to games and i saw him, he just didn't look big and strong enough to be a real power forward. He also didn't have the handle to be a small forward unless we had a more traditional PF. And we tried this, he just never shot well enough or created free throw opportunities enough. It's pretty much that simple.

His body language always really telegraphed his mindset. That's what i saw and in the end that is what really separates the good players from plain old starters. Now being and NBA starter means you are one in the best in the world but after 2018 i could tell he never would sniff being an all-star. Maybe on a different team with a HOF point guard like Nash he might have randomly made the team like Shawn Marion. Even then, i don't think so, when the game gets hard for Aaron he just shrinks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think you mis-read that part. I said the chance of AG taking that next step or two to become an All-Star is a slim chance. I actually think Franz has a better chance, maybe 60/40 that he can/does. I think Franz is in our starting line-up at SF, with Banchero at the PF and WCJ at center. I expect that they will ease JI back in by bringing him off the bench playing 15-20 minutes per game until he is back in game shape; after all, he hasn't played in a couple of years.

I think we have quite a traffic jam in our front court when/if everyone is healthy - you have Banchero, JI, WCJ, Bamba, Bol, M Wagner and possibly Okeke all trying to find playing time as PF/C. I don't really see any of them except Okeke being able to slide down to the SF role. I think you will see Ross, Okeke, and Houstan all playing some backup at the SF. 

Bamba will likely get the backup minutes at center.  I hope we’ve seen the last of Bamba/WCJ combinations.  Mo probably won’t see much time unless there are injuries.  

Do you think Suggs or Anthony starts at SF?   Or do they both start and Fultz comes off bench?

Correction:  I meant SG.  I'm glad other posters have interpreted my post correctly.  Coming off surgery and my thinking is a bit muddled.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Bamba will likely get the backup minutes at center.  I hope we’ve seen the last of Bamba/WCJ combinations.  Mo probably won’t see much time unless there are injuries.  

Do you think Suggs or Anthony starts at SF?   Or do they both start and Fultz comes off bench?

Cole will come off the bench. 

22 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

As of right now, Fultz should be starting. I’m sure the coach will try different lineups to see what combos work best.

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

I think Fultz will start at PG. The team offense ran so much smoother with Fultz out there, and it was plain for all to see. I think the real question is who will start at SG. I can see us going with Gary Harris, or Suggs there. I think it all comes down to if we want more experience with the starting unit. We will be young however we go, but I really think we go with Gary Harris, at least at the start of the season. 

Fultz/Anthony

G Harris/Suggs/Ross

F Wagner/Okeke/Houstan

Banchero/Isaac/M Wagner

Carter/Bamba

I think Hampton and Bol will only get garbage minutes unless someone is injured or traded (Ross?). I expect that Cannady will be released for the final cut down to 15, since he is not guaranteed (again, unless Ross is traded). Knowing Isaac is coming off a long lay-off, and Moe Wagner is currently injured, we might see Bol at the PF, or we might see Okeke slide down to pick up some minutes there. 

23 years old (would be 24 by the time we could sign him but still young), 6'4, walking bucket. Defense isn't good but we've got a bunch of good to great defensive players/prospects already. He'd instantly be the best perimeter scorer on the team, great fit with Paolo as someone who can get his own shot or is equally comfortable playing off ball. Just won a championship. 

He'd instantly be the best free agent signing this franchise has made since like Rashard Lewis. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

23 years old (would be 24 by the time we could sign him but still young), 6'4, walking bucket. Defense isn't good but we've got a bunch of good to great defensive players/prospects already. He'd instantly be the best perimeter scorer on the team, great fit with Paolo as someone who can get his own shot or is equally comfortable playing off ball. Just won a championship. 

He'd instantly be the best free agent signing this franchise has made since like Rashard Lewis. 

Poole’s had one good year from what I can see, and his percentages are just okay. I don’t consider him elite, and I’m not sure I see him as a future all-star. Obviously, I could be wrong. I’d be fine adding him at a decent price, I just don’t want to overpay him, which we’d likely have to do.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

5 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Poole’s had one good year from what I can see, and his percentages are just okay. I don’t consider him elite, and I’m not sure I see him as a future all-star. Obviously, I could be wrong. I’d be fine adding him at a decent price, I just don’t want to overpay him, which we’d likely have to do.

I actually am somewhere in the middle of these opinions. I think Poole is a good young guy with plenty of upside remaining, but I’m not sure about multiple all-star appearances in his future. His spotty defense concerns me as well. I’m actually anxious to see if G Harris is finally back after years of injuries. At 27-28 he should be entering his prime. I’m also anxious to see what Suggs can give us.