All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

43 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

saw this tweet, thought it was awesome for discussion as WCJ and suggs are in the top - i love the 5th observation. I couldnt find Bamba.

Franz is actually decently positioned too if you can spot him. Can't find him now but earlier i was looking and spotted his chin lol. 

RJ facing difficult match ups is a weird one. 

Also T Ross being the very bottom left tracks with how he played last season.

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

saw this tweet, thought it was awesome for discussion as WCJ and suggs are in the top - i love the 5th observation. I couldnt find Bamba.

Have to lol at Ross being the worst defender in the league

1 hour ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Have to lol at Ross being the worst defender in the league

Which is very weird to me, as he was a decent two-way player early in his career. I blame this in part on the need for him to spend much of the last 8 years carrying the offense for the 2nd team. He has gotten unfocused on the Defensive side of the ball - combine that with faltering athleticism due to injuries, and age, and it was the perfect storm. Hopefully, if we don't trade him, he can get healthier, and re-focus more on that end; since presumably, he won't be asked to carry as much of the offense. I really would like to see his game/value rebound. At 31-32, he should still be near the peak of his abilities if he can stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

Which is very weird to me, as he was a decent two-way player early in his career. I blame this in part on the need for him to spend much of the last 8 years carrying the offense for the 2nd team. He has gotten unfocused on the Defensive side of the ball - combine that with faltering athleticism due to injuries, and age, and it was the perfect storm. Hopefully, if we don't trade him, he can get healthier, and re-focus more on that end; since presumably, he won't be asked to carry as much of the offense. I really would like to see his game/value rebound. At 31-32, he should still be near the peak of his abilities if he can stay healthy. 

Yeah, he should in theory be a great defender. Chalk it up to what his role was and a lack of effort. Hopefully he can have a Wiggins like transformation on that end

On 7/28/2022 at 2:01 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Franz is actually decently positioned too if you can spot him. Can't find him now but earlier i was looking and spotted his chin lol. 

RJ facing difficult match ups is a weird one. 

Also T Ross being the very bottom left tracks with how he played last season.

T Ross hasn’t been good on d since we got him. This will not somehow transform and his effort on d has not helped his younger teammates. Y’all talk about culture, well one thing to vastly help that is to get rid of players who don’t guve a dam about that side of the floor. Ross, Bamba come to mind.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

T Ross hasn’t been good on d since we got him. This will not somehow transform and his effort on d has not helped his younger teammates. Y’all talk about culture, well one thing to vastly help that is to get rid of players who don’t guve a dam about that side of the floor. Ross, Bamba come to mind.

I know i am the worst about talking about the past. We all remember the horrible trades that killed the Magic for half a decade. It revolved around Toronto just as much as OKC.

First the Henny trade to get Ibaka, not going to rehash that part but 3 Toronto things that just killed us. First Biyombo had that great series with Toronto, yet they were smart enough to know it was an aberration, the Magic GM, not so much. Then the trade knowing they had us over a barrel. We got Ross, an extremely one dimensional NBA player even though he had a great NBA body, athleticism and length. I think at the time i wanted Wright or Powell so i'm not the brightest.  However we got Ross, who many on this forum knew was just a one trick pony. Many here on this forum wanted Siakam. Remember, Siakam was picked at 27, not a lottery pick. So getting him for trading a then premier PF was completely within reason. Kudos to all the forum people that remember these posts, you guys know basketball way better then me. Sadly some of them no longer post here. 

The other part i remember complaining about at the time, but you might not remember. Not only did Toronto trade us Ross, they had two first round picks. We got one, the higher one. I remember being angry that Henny couldn't even get the best pick. That pick? OG Anunoby. This alone probably changed the history of the Magic, as we traded away the player we got with our pick. This was the famous start of the draft flattening out meme. Rumors say the new guys wanted to get one of Justin Jackson,John Collins or OG if one of them fell. None did and we  drafted a stash euro who we thought we might keep but was traded away that day. Kuzma was famously right there at the time, but so were White and Hart.

So all we got was super streaky, never plays defense Ross and a pick from Philly that i think we did trade for something, i always forget. All because Toronto just put a masterclass on our franchise.