All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

Y'know if we don't make a big trade before free agency next summer and we can't get Jordan Poole (my first choice FA) I'd be quiet happy for us to throw the bag at Gary Trent Jr. 

Zach Lowe had Kevin Clark on his pod today and talked a good bit about the magic. It seems like it is always the same discussion when big NBA guys talk magic I.e. rehashing all the bad decisions the team made up to this point, but there was some good discussion about Paolo and lineups. They also both agreed we should attempt to acquire Mitchell if we could do it without mortgaging the future.

I find myself agreeing. I don’t think it would be blowing up the rebuild like with Ibaka. Mitchell is a better player and we have better young prospects and assets than back then. Lowe said he thinks we have three fifths of a real future playoff team and eventually if we want to compete we need a real handler and scorer at one of the guard positions. I think Mitchell is young enough and in theory we are long enough to cover his defensive deficiencies, and players like him generally just don’t become available. Maybe you wait until the deadline to see what the core with Paolo looks like, but I would pursue it

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I actually really like this move and I'm glad it's confirmed. Especially as a team with a large development load already it makes sense to give 2 ways to older, high character guys. 

7 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Zach Lowe had Kevin Clark on his pod today and talked a good bit about the magic. It seems like it is always the same discussion when big NBA guys talk magic I.e. rehashing all the bad decisions the team made up to this point, but there was some good discussion about Paolo and lineups. They also both agreed we should attempt to acquire Mitchell if we could do it without mortgaging the future.

I find myself agreeing. I don’t think it would be blowing up the rebuild like with Ibaka. Mitchell is a better player and we have better young prospects and assets than back then. Lowe said he thinks we have three fifths of a real future playoff team and eventually if we want to compete we need a real handler and scorer at one of the guard positions. I think Mitchell is young enough and in theory we are long enough to cover his defensive deficiencies, and players like him generally just don’t become available. Maybe you wait until the deadline to see what the core with Paolo looks like, but I would pursue it

I think we all would love some excitement and star players and it's been one long boring decade. I think i was a poster over last 5 years begging for trades. But too many red flags with a Mitchell trade.

Number one, never deal with Danny Ainge. It's pretty much a meme now. And not just the deals he makes but the ones he doesn't. I'm sure many of you never read other forums, trust me, Celtics fans hate and love him for it. So many trades he didn't make because he won't make a trade he doesn't win by a mile.

Number two, is Donavan Mitchell abysmal on defense? I'm not sure but unless you're Curry or Jordan guards don't lead teams to championships. Yes we could probably build a team around him to hide the "D" but not if we trade Utah half those good players. Mitchell and Banchero seems like disaster on that end of the court.

Number three, it's just too early. Yes Mitchell is young and signed so he technically fits the timeline. But not really. We need time for Suggs,Paolo and Wagner to get shots up. To build confidence and skills before some guy comes in and takes all their shots away.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Paulo is a game changer for us. The man can really shoot the ball. I hope he takes 20 shots a night!

I actually hope that he grows within the team, that could make triple doubles as previously stated by CTMagic, and improve on def. :)

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:53 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Elfrid Payton is the all time franchise leader in triple doubles (how that's possible for a franchise that had Penny, TMac, Dwight and Shaq I don't know). I'm going to need Paolo to sort that out for us. 

Cuz Elf is the goat. Heheheehee

On 7/22/2022 at 11:08 PM, Jason Funderburker said:

I just don’t think you can give up on Markelle, Cole, and Suggs so early, plus any future draft picks, to get a guy who can score but can’t defend or pass particularly well. 

We glorify scorers in this league but winning in the deep playoffs needs more than that. 

I’ll take my chances on Suggs, Markelle, or Cole popping off, and the value of our next 5 1st round picks, over Donovan Mitchell. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I just don’t think you can give up on Markelle, Cole, and Suggs so early, plus any future draft picks, to get a guy who can score but can’t defend or pass particularly well. 

We glorify scorers in this league but winning in the deep playoffs needs more than that. 

I’ll take my chances on Suggs, Markelle, or Cole popping off, and the value of our next 5 1st round picks, over Donovan Mitchell. 

This. We rush the process with the last regime, and ended up trading three guys (Oladipo, Harris and Sabonis) who all three went on to become all stars for Ibaka and Biyombo. This move put this franchise back 6 years and we're just now getting back on the right track.

I think this time around we should develop our young talent and get a better understanding of what we have going forward. You don't blow up the team in year 2 of the rebuild and throw the farm at Donovan Mitchell. I could see if it was Luka or Tatum, two guys on the verge of becoming superstar, but not Mitchell. I feel Miami is the best fit for Mitchell. They have a sure fire #1 in Butler and Mitchell would make a really good #2.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:53 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Elfrid Payton is the all time franchise leader in triple doubles (how that's possible for a franchise that had Penny, TMac, Dwight and Shaq I don't know). I'm going to need Paolo to sort that out for us. 

I seriously doubt this guy is going to average a double double He barely got over 7 rebounds a game in college. Wendell averaged just under 10.

However i do think its possible Paolo could do 20/7/5 - which is basically what Lebron has averaged his entire career.