All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

14 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I appreciate the love for Paolo.

But some of this is delusional stuff. "When's the last time we saw the Orlando Magic competing to win games like they was in Summer League" bro what? We made the playoffs 3 years ago. We won 42 games the year before that. Somehow that's less of an achievement than winning 2 summer league games? 

"I hope that organisation is ready for that player" is a bit of a cheap shot too. Nothing this front office has done suggests they intend to waste assets or won't be thorough exploring every avenue to be the best team we can but Draymond wouldn't know that he just thinks "lol Magic bad". Let's also not act as though the Golden State Warriors were always a top notch franchise and didn't just get good coinciding with having the greatest shooter of all time. The top non Steph Curry seasons in Golden State history were in the 70s. 

“Lol Magic bad” is what we deserve after 11 years of futility, being the worst team in the league in aggregate over that time span.  It’s how everyone else thinks of us, and it was self inflicted, starting with our decision to tank after Howard left.  Maybe with our current front office and the draft luck we just had, we can start to dig out and improve our reputation.  But no one, including me, will believe it until they see it.  We sure didn’t show much last year.  

What Draymond said is what people think and they’re not wrong until/unless we prove them wrong.  

5 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

How much better than a healthy Harris is DM? I think Suggs, Ross, Bamba, Chuma, 2023 orl pick, 2023 Chi Pick, 2025 orl pick, 2025 Den pick, 2024 swap is an overpay, especially if our 2023 is unprotected. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Orders of magnitude better. 

Don't get me I personally wouldn't give up what it would take to get Donovan but it has legitimately nothing to do with how good Gary Harris is. 

DM is definitely a better offensive player, but I don’t think “orders of magnitude”, because GH is much better on the defensive end. I still would rate DM higher, but not enough higher to justify that quantity of assets.

Come on. Donovan is an alpha player. Harris is a complimentary player and not even a very good one. Not even a comparison between the two. If you can get DM without losing Fultz Isaac Paolo or Wendell you have got to try. Will we? Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!  Hell no. WeHamm have no balls. 

• Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Come on. Donovan is an alpha player. Harris is a complimentary player and not even a very good one. Not even a comparison between the two. If you can get DM without losing Fultz Isaac Paolo or Wendell you have got to try. Will we? Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!  Hell no. WeHamm have no balls. 

I think it is has less to do with them having no balls and more that it isn’t possible

On Dray Green giving us disrespect, while many of us remember the Magic’s relevance during the Dwight years, that was over a decade ago. A 16 year old today would have been 4 years old the last time the Magic were playoff relevant. That’s HUGE - essentially much of the latest upcoming generation knows the Orlando Magic as a small market team that loses a lot. 

So while I think Dray is hating with recency bias, he’s not wrong in saying we’ve been the bottom feeders of the league since he came into the league. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

DM is definitely a better offensive player, but I don’t think “orders of magnitude”, because GH is much better on the defensive end. I still would rate DM higher, but not enough higher to justify that quantity of assets.

DM was a top 2 player on a 49 win team. Harris wasn't a top 2 player on a 22 win team.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

An alpha combo guard that doesn't take accountability for poor shot selections, doesn't create for others, who was drafted to be a great defender but is either too lazy or not interested on that end of the court. I just don't see him as that missing piece that's going to propel us in to championship contention.  He was never able to get his team past the 2nd round and much of that was on him!  We'd give away all our depth and future draft capital and be stuck in mediocrity for a rich man's Cole Anthony.  Why not just stay the course and see how we continue to develop with our asset's?

Mitchell was rated as a bottom-20 defender in the NBA by FiveThirtyEight’s RAPTOR.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2022/04/23/andy-larsen-donovan/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It's just not the right time. We really have see what we have this year. However, now is the time to get excited. Magic are gonna have a fun team that also has true blue blood top young talent.  

Not much more news left to talk about as the trade season and summer league wind down. Here is a couple of links for diehards.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/transactions/?ref=trending-pages

That is a good link if you want to click through a couple pages and see where two way or undrafted players went. Plus it has all the other extensions and free agent signings. I just find it interesting. 

This other link is an updated salary cap tracker. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/?ref=trending-pages

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

DM was a top 2 player on a 49 win team. Harris wasn't a top 2 player on a 22 win team.

You all have forgotten what Harris was like pre-injury. He got better as the season went on. I think the mental recovery was a long time coming, but I think GH is going to be a lot more like his pre-injury self. I think that will make him a better fit for this team than DM who hasn’t played much defense in 3-4 years. 

• Upvote 1

The Mitchell trade would set this franchise back like the Ibaka trade. We're in year 2 of the rebuild, we need to continue to develop our young talent so we can get a better understanding of what we have as of right now. I think the focus should be Paolo, Franz and Wendell going forward, and hope one or two of Fultz, Suggs or Anthony take that next step in their development. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shine88 said:

The Mitchell trade would set this franchise back like the Ibaka trade. We're in year 2 of the rebuild, we need to continue to develop our young talent so we can get a better understanding of what we have as of right now. I think the focus should be Paolo, Franz and Wendell going forward, and hope one or two of Fultz, Suggs or Anthony take that next step in their development. 

Exactly! We can't be so quick to abandon the rebuild.  No doubt the proposed trade would do exactly that by packaging all of our draft picks.  The Ibaka trade was a perfect example of us doing exactly that.  We gave up Oladipo and Sabonis.  We need to continue developing our guys and have a better understanding of who they are and how they'll fit with our HEALTHY team before trading them, it appears our current management understands this by basically running it back.  Moves will be made but we shouldn't rush the process.

If we find ourselves and/or Chicago in the Lottery  for next season's LOADED draft perhaps we can use our assets to move up and grab our missing piece after evaluating another year.  I'd much rather do that than trade for DM, perhaps the 2 year contracts we just signed is signaling our management intend to do the same thing.

I just don’t agree with the “it’s not the right time” mentality. We have assets now, mainly they’re assets because they’re still unknowns and on their rookie deals. Guys like, Cole, Suggs, RJ, Chuma have shown some small flashes that they could be something, but our development team being able to develop them all in to something? And still developing Paolo and Franz who have shown they’ve got the most potential.. That’s not realistic with how many prospects we have. Superstar scoring guards like Donovan Mitchell, who by the way is only 25 years old, don’t become available like this very often. If we wait now because it’s not the right time and 90% of our prospects are busts we wind up right back into diving in on another decade of rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4