All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

While I don’t think we’ll make a run at DM given our youthful timeline, I honestly do think we’d be an immediate playoff team with DM, Franz and Paulo as our core. Personally, I’d go for it but am guessing WeltHam will take the developmental approach.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

While I don’t think we’ll make a run at DM given our youthful timeline, I honestly do think we’d be an immediate playoff team with DM, Franz and Paulo as our core. Personally, I’d go for it but am guessing WeltHam will take the developmental approach.

Yeah, I agree that the price on Mitchell is something that our current management is too conservative to pursue. If something like Cole, JI and a couple picks would get it done, sure, but it sounds like Utah wants much more

Given the price for Gobert there's no way you can get Mitchell without giving up 1 of Franz or Paolo. 

I also think for the cost of Mitchell you'd need either a) confidence he can help you win a championship in the next 3 years or b) the utmost confidence that he'd resign after his deal is up. I'm not convinced on either of those points to be honest. 

I also think Mitchell is somewhat over rated because he scores the ball a lot but he's an undersized 2, doesn't play a lot of defense and isn't a great playmaker.

Don't get me wrong he'd be the best player on our team and the best player we've had since Dwight and we'd win a lot more games but I don't really think we'd be a true contender nor do I think we'd have a true path to becoming one in the 3 years of Mitchell we'd have guaranteed. 

• Upvote 2

I'm torn too about the DM situation, and not sure he'll be happy there... but at some point we'll have to make some move, myabe it's not the right moment and the right player, we'll see in the future.

In the previous page I've made a question about Engeland and... was the wrong guy? seem to remember that he was the one credited of helping Kahwi (and a few other non-shooters) to improve their shooting abilities big time. Would love to have a guy like that in our coaching staff, would be very much needed with our core of def guys. Are there some rumours about his future?

If we want DM my realistic offer would be:
Suggs, Ross, Chuma, Bamba (after 30 days from signing) 2023 first, 2023 Chicago first, 2025 first, 2025 Den. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Suggs, Ross, Chuma, Bamba (after 30 days from signing) 2023 first, 2023 Chicago first, 2025 first, 2025 Den. 

Rudy Gobert got: 

4 firsts, a pick swap, Walker Kessler (essentially a 2022 first), Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverley, Jarred Vanderbilt and Leandro Bolmaro.

That's arguably at least comparable if not better to the deal you're offering for Mitchell who I imagine the Jazz will place even more value on than Gobert.

28 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Rudy Gobert got: 

4 firsts, a pick swap, Walker Kessler (essentially a 2022 first), Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverley, Jarred Vanderbilt and Leandro Bolmaro.

That's arguably at least comparable if not better to the deal you're offering for Mitchell who I imagine the Jazz will place even more value on than Gobert.

I’d argue that not all first are created equally. Jazz have a new ownership group who I believe want to rebuild quickly. Receiving a 2027 first and a 2029 first aren’t nearly as valuable as 2 first next year and 2 first in 2025 granted (two of the picks in the trades gave protections). 

Also, I’d argue that Jalen Suggs is the most highly touted player included in either trade. For a handful of reasons. Plus, Chuma and Bamba  provide flexibility from a contract standpoint and Ross is experiencing. 

With that said, Jazz still might now accept, but this would be my top offer (plus a pick swamp in 2024). 

4 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

I’d argue that not all first are created equally. Jazz have a new ownership group who I believe want to rebuild quickly. Receiving a 2027 first and a 2029 first aren’t nearly as valuable as 2 first next year and 2 first in 2025 granted (two of the picks in the trades gave protections). 

Also, I’d argue that Jalen Suggs is the most highly touted player included in either trade. For a handful of reasons. Plus, Chuma and Bamba  provide flexibility from a contract standpoint and Ross is experiencing. 

With that said, Jazz still might now accept, but this would be my top offer (plus a pick swamp in 2024). 

The further out firsts are better because there's a good chance the Wolves are bad in those years when Gobert is gone etc. 2 firsts from us and Denver in 2025 are both probably going to be in the 20s in this scenario how is that better than a pick in 2029 when the Wolves could be the worst team in the league by then? 

Beverley and Beasley (team option) are both essentially expiring too so they're at least a wash with Ross and Bamba. (I'd argue they both might have more value at the deadline than either of Ross or Bamba).

Suggs is also coming off an incredibly bad rookie year offensively where he had multiple injuries. His value isn't nearly as high as it was last summer. 

1 hour ago, MagicFanDan said:

This is my exact trade package as well.  I’d be willing to do some pick swaps if that got it done.  But like others have said The Jazz will probably want more.  I would make Banchero and Wagner off limits for sure.  A core of Wagner, Mitchell, and Banchero would be really special.

I think DM ends up in NY in some mega-package around Barrett. He grew up in Greenwich, CT (NYC bedroom community) and could easily play with Brunson.