All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

6 hours ago, VoiceofReason said:

I can't read the full article as I'm not an insider.

If it's true they didn't reach out until they were certain we were selecting Banchero than I see this as Houston saving face! Do you let it be known you "settled" for Jabari?  That would be a crappy way to start his career.  Everybody knew OKC was in love with Chet.  Everybody thought we were taking Jabari and yet Houston didn't try to make a move up to #1 until they had decided we were taking Banchero. Therefore, they had him ranked higher than Smith and was inquiring what it would take to move up. We decided it wasn't worth it and got our guy.

The way I’m reading the snippet posted above by Ball Junkie (I’m not an insider either) suggests that Houston was concerned that Paulo and Jabari might go 1-2 leaving them with Holmgren, and they were looking to trade up to avoid that possibility.  

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I know people here wanted Beal but hoo-boy did the Wizards bend over on his contract. 5 year super max, player option the last year, a no trade clause and a trade kicked. Guy is going to chose where he gets traded and get a pay rise for it a couple of years from now. Truly wild. 

Loyalty gets you that i guess 

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

The way I’m reading the snippet posted above by Ball Junkie (I’m not an insider either) suggests that Houston was concerned that Paulo and Jabari might go 1-2 leaving them with Holmgren, and they were looking to trade up to avoid that possibility.  

My take

They had to know OKC was drafting Holmgren. Worst kept secret of the draft.

Everyone thought we were going Jabari. Houston appeared content to stay @ 3 and get their guy (Banchero).

Once word broke we were going Banchero Houston made us an offer to trade up.

The timeline doesn't make sense if you take in to account they had no real interest in trading up and were standing pat @ 3 when they thought we favored Jabari.  Chet was never going to drop to 3 with OKC @ 2.

If Houston traded up it was for Banchero and we didn't value Jabari + assets more than him.

9 hours ago, VoiceofReason said:

My take

They had to know OKC was drafting Holmgren. Worst kept secret of the draft.

Everyone thought we were going Jabari. Houston appeared content to stay @ 3 and get their guy (Banchero).

Once word broke we were going Banchero Houston made us an offer to trade up.

The timeline doesn't make sense if you take in to account they had no real interest in trading up and were standing pat @ 3 when they thought we favored Jabari.  Chet was never going to drop to 3 with OKC @ 2.

If Houston traded up it was for Banchero and we didn't value Jabari + assets more than him.

I think based on last night, that value assessment proved to be true. Good call by management. 

10 hours ago, VoiceofReason said:

My take

They had to know OKC was drafting Holmgren. Worst kept secret of the draft

Just like everyone knew we were taking Smith.  Can’t take anything for granted. 

Well it was fun to watch some basketball last night. I don't know what other games i will get to watch, you have to remember after this week it's so long NBA for a few months. Enjoy it while you can!

So i watched the whole Magic game. It's funny how scouting reports are so dead on. In just a few minutes you could see Paolo had better individual moves then anyone on the court and decent BB IQ. He plays like a 6'10" guard. Shot looked good, high arc, semi fast release, needs work though. He made some amazing passes. His speed and quickness are a little less then you want from a number one guy. However that just isn't that important if you can control the game with your size, shooting and passing. And he did! 

So the bad parts of the scouting report were all on display as well. Hard to judge defense when nobody is playing it but as big he is not going to block or alter many shots. Plodding feet so he is going to have a hard time staying in front of some players on the perimeter, but just the elite ones because he moves lateral very well. All around looks good.

Caleb Houstan, what can anyone say, he did exactly what he was drafted to do. So excited!

5 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Just like everyone knew we were taking Smith.  Can’t take anything for granted. 

I hear you but our team wasn't putting that out there, OKC did. I believe our management executed their plan perfectly. They diagnosed who Houston wanted, discovering it was the same person we favored and just took him. Time will tell if it was the right decision.

1 minute ago, VoiceofReason said:

I hear you but our team wasn't putting that out there, OKC did. I believe out management played it perfectly. Diagnosed who Houston wanted, discovering it was the same person we favored and just took him. Time will tell if it was the right decision.

Sounds good

The Magic could have as much as $71 million in space next summer with all the non guaranteed deals. And unlike this summer it seems unlikely we'd be able to roll that much space over again with Cole and Chuma (and RJ but seems unlikely) being extension eligible or RFAs the year after. 

Very interested to see what the plan is. Whether they go the Atlanta route and try and get a couple of good role playing vets to supplement the young core to push for playoffs or whether they go out and try to add 1 key piece. 

If it's 1 key piece have to believe it'd be a guard given the fact that our guard rotations are the one area which doesn't seem secure (we're yet to see it play but it feels like the Franz/Paolo/WCJ front court is a lock to be good long term). So this could be a huge year for Fultz, Cole and Suggs. 

I think an interesting candidate could be Jordan Poole provided he's not traded. Doubt Golden State will pay him what he deserves given their already massive payroll. He's only 23 so timeline is closer to our guys and he'd give us a real scoring punch at guard. I think that's heavily dependent on Franz/Paolo looking like they can be legit stars this season though, because Poole as your best player is a play in game at best but Poole as your third (or 4th with WCJ) best player could be a deep playoff team. And also we're probably not that attractive a destination if Paolo and Franz don't look really great this season.

• Upvote 1

I've been critical of some management decision, but I honestly like the fact that the two years contracts are actually non guaranteed in the second one. (even if with Harris... if he really like the environment, could have been great to lock him at a decent price for more seasons)

Can't find details on the contract but I think this presumes Cannady is getting waived. Unless we can make a trade and take back no salary before the season starts we've got 16 guys under contract and Cannady is the only one who's not guaranteed.